Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

No point buying a programme on Sunday lads

lfdown2

hav to say its great to see bernie connell on the panel for sunday about time the lad got a chance great keeper at schools and uni level, hard position to break into but definately think he should be kept about there to eventually get the no1 jersay!!

imtommygunn

I see McGourty and Magic Johnston are in the Down McKenna cup panel.

Out of interest who do these boys play for?

Is there a football club in Ballycran?

I assume from previous posts that there isn't one in Ballygalget?

If there's not who do these boys play for?

No1

McGourty is registered with Darragh Cross as far as I know.  Kilclief hold Magic's registration.

However, don't be at all surprised if they both end up playing for Loughinisland this year (if they intend to play club football).  Reports I am hearing suggest the blues are trying very hard to add to their foreign legion.

imtommygunn

Have they been playing regular club football over the last few years?

You say registered but not playing which is interesting.

It's just interesting to see that Ross Carr has picked these boys perhaps on the basis of a few trials? That's not to say they're no good as I'd say they are primarily good athletes and sportsmen and could be moulded into good footballers. Without wanting to initiate a debate it would be a lot easier to pick up football than hurling.

No1

Up until the trials Magic had played no competitive club football since he played a few games for Kilclief minors.  I am not sure what age he is but I would say that was at least 5 years ago. 

McGourty, AFAIK, played in the U-21 East Down competitons for an amalgamated side for the last couple of years.  Something tells me he was on a county minor football squad at one time.  I am  not sure though, johnneycool might know better.

I'd agree that it would be a miilion times easier for a hurler to pick up football, than for a footballer to take up hurling.

imtommygunn

Very good , thanks No1 - it's just something I was interested to know.

It's good that with amalgamated sides etc. that your county isn't completely split between football and hurling.

If I remember correctly I think I read McGourty is a cousin of the St Galls McGourtys so should have football in his blood.

Antrim is very much split between football and hurling and I would say there would be a lot of untapped football resources in the hurling areas. It's good to see it's not entirely like that everywhere.

theskull1

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 05, 2007, 12:22:51 PM
Antrim is very much split between football and hurling and I would say there would be a lot of untapped football resources in the hurling areas.

Looking at the GAA landscape tommyg, do you not think that football has enough resources without raping strong hurling areas of thier talents?  >:(
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

superblues

uselessfootballer

McGourty in registered to play football with St Pauls, played in some pre-season friendlies last year and for the U-21s in the recent East Down Championship

johnneycool

Quote from: uselessfootballer on January 05, 2007, 01:34:57 PM
McGourty in registered to play football with St Pauls, played in some pre-season friendlies last year and for the U-21s in the recent East Down Championship

Kevin Blaney must of pulled a few strings there as Brendan was involved with Darragh Cross for a while and was indeed on a county minor football squad at least a few years back, don't think he got a start though.

Magics footballing career is much less intense as he played a bit for his school De La Salle in downpatrick and then the odd game with Kilclief at minor. He may have had a go at the football in Chicago on his last few visits as it was a Saul man who was arranging those trips who in his time back home was very handy at both codes during a time when Saul and Kilclief were friendlier than the seem to be now.

As for Magics registration, I'd say it rests with Ballygalget but on the footballing side, if he hasn't featured for kilclief for over a year he'd be free to go to the island if he so chooses.

I hear he looked a bit cumbersome and prone to fouling in the charity game, i can't imagine tackling being his strong point but then again the tackle in football is a bit of a lottery to most it seems.

imtommygunn

Is it not the case that if you are from a hurling only club you can play football for another club but if you are a football only club then you can't play hurling for another club?

Doesn't sound fair I know but if my memory serves me correctly I think that's the rule.

johnneycool

Quote from: Bacon on January 04, 2007, 05:08:53 PM
County Board are looking for high caliber coaches to look after the new hurling development squads that are starting in March. If any of the hurling posters know anybody who may be interested could you let them know to pass their names to Sean Og through the club secretary. The commitment will be something like 8 Saturday mornings through the season with a possible weekend away as well so it can be fitted in along side other commitments.

sometimes the tail does need to hit the dog up the bollocks to get things started  ;)

I konw there was a bit push to get as many of our senior players to take the level 1 coaching course with the child protection element to follow shortly. A good few took it up and it was made abundantly clear all over the weekend of the course that there would be roles for everyone in and outside the club in the coming year.
Hopefully some take up the challenge to address the major deficiences we have in our juvenlie set up.

Bacon

Sounds like you were there youself JC! Will you be getting involved?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Lecale2

Tommygun - there's no rule preventing someone from a football only club playing hurling with another club AFAIK. It's fairly common in Down but I won't give details incase it's not strictly legal  ;).