Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stpauls

Quote from: passedit on March 17, 2008, 09:59:17 AM
I am concerned that before 10 is early in your world mate, you need to get a real job.

it's early for a bank holiday!

passedit

I was wondering why it was quiet around here today. No bank holidays is this neck of the woods
Don't Panic

wobbller

St Paul's are having a chat among themelves here.Paddy's Day in North Down must be pretty sad.

passedit

I'm in work wobbller and a long way from North Down. What's your excuse?

Don't Panic

In the Onion Bag

Passedit,

Heard a quote attributed to your manger talking to one of our boys. Went something like this "don't know what Bredagh ever did to St Paul's but boy do they absolutely hate your lot".
I don't understand where this depth of venom comes from.  Bredagh have a soft spot for SP and would never consider them rivals, more like cousins from down the road operating in circumstance similar to ourselves.

The fact that we win all the crunch matches between us, albeit narrowly, ought not be a source of conflict.  Instead this should be a celebration of how far east-east down football has come.  All credit to St Pauls.  Its not that long ago when any good minor team would have easily beaten St Pauls seniors.  Keep at it.

lecale4

Thanks for all the St Paul's comment - just to put you straight on a couple of things:

1. You don't need to feel sorry for us - we won - with 13 men - that's 2 out of 2 - early days but we're happy enough.

2. I don't condone the boys who got sent off - they were naive, foolish, and yes, a bit unlucky. They could have cost us the game. The ref unfortunately saw us committing misdemeanors and missed a couple of Teconnaght ones - you win some you lose some.

It was an honest report as I saw it - didn't mean to upset you boys from Holywood. We don't mind you - you seem to have a problem with us.

Someone recently compared the 3 N Down teams (C'duff, Bredagh & St Pauls) to Newcastle, Sunderland and Boro. Bredagh & Duff are like Sunderland and Newcastle - no love lost - St Pauls are like Boro - nobody really cares to much!

An Duin Abu

Quote from: passedit on March 17, 2008, 09:14:18 AM
Quote from: An Duin Abu on March 09, 2008, 07:22:08 PM
St Paul's are on their way out. Watched them today and they were guilty of some unsavoury incidents to say the least. Football always wins in the end, unfortunately for St Paul's it's something they're not capable of playing. Their intimidation of a young corner forward just out of minor does nothing for our game. Alas they were never capable of bringing players through the underage system so I suppose they wouldn't know an awful lot about developing players and how young fellas confidence etc can be affected. Jack it in now lads , give your pitch to your friends in the local cricket or rugby club and bow out gracefully, Cumann Lutchleas Gael don't need your sort of behaviour in our association!

Tut tut two men sent off for boxing and lecale4 condoning their behaviour, I expect An Duin Abu and the rest of his knitting circle will along in a minute with forthright condemnation
There would appear to be an inference here that I am affiliated to Bredagh. Can a neutral not watch a game and comment on this site without being accused of something of which they are entirely innocent?. I think someone's wearing blinkered glasses!

Niall Quinn

Quote from: An Duin Abu on March 17, 2008, 07:29:25 PM
blinkered glasses!

Interesting concept - correct your sight, but at the same time limit it's scope.
Sounds like a pretty deep metaphor!
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Dubh driocht

I'm glad An Duin abu has suggested he is not a Bredagh man as I had come to the same conclusion .
As one of the 'knitting circle' can I remind passedit that I praised the club but highlighted an attitude that some of their players have developed about Bredagh.I played against St Pauls many times in the early 80s and know some of the founder members- true believers, as Joe Brolly would say.However, when I came up against them in the early noughties, there was a change among some of their players-they obviously had Bredagh down as 'the enemy' and a lot of petty verbals,nothing to do with GAA, came from some players who should know better.
That aside,I still wish St Pauls well, and hope they finish in the top three in Division 3.

Dubh driocht

Yes,the top four play off but there are only two teams in Division Three that I prefer over St Pauls.

Dubh driocht

Jody Gormley is playing great stuff at CHB for Bredagh.He plays hard but fair and uses his brain- like Enda at FF- to make up for the miles on the clock.In the 95 AIF he was the only one other than Canavan to score for Tyrone.I'm not surprised he has done well with Antrim as what you get is what you see. Bredagh are lucky to have GAA men like Jody and Enda move to their area and help nurture the next generation.I hope people like Stevie Mulvenna do the same for St Pauls .Bredagh are well worth seeing, particularly as you can see them at home for free- presumably, the only club in Down that can't lift gate money.

Square Ball

I think one of the Newry clubs are in a similar position to us 
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

stpauls

Quote from: Square Ball on March 17, 2008, 09:43:50 PM

and which one would that be?

i don't know where the manager got that idea, i personally see it as a healthy rivalry. i myself see ourselves, Bredagh and Carryduff as three cousins, if you like, keepiing Gaelic Games going in North Down. being a member of the committee i know hard it is like to keep a club going in an area like ours. being from a large South Armagh club, it is easy to keep going due the fact it is the centre of the community, but in Holywood it is a lot harder due to several factors not seen at home, and i am sure it is the same with the other 2 clubs.

i think this rivalry has stemmed from playing each other so many times over the years, where as there isn't the same with Carryduff as the have always been a league higher than either of us.

Mhic Easmuint

Full details and you your ticket online at: http://antrim.gaa.ie/saffron-sweep-2008/

Feel free to ask questions on the main thread.

Square Ball

Quote from: stpauls on March 17, 2008, 09:50:33 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on March 17, 2008, 09:43:50 PM

and which one would that be?

i don't know where the manager got that idea, i personally see it as a healthy rivalry. i myself see ourselves, Bredagh and Carryduff as three cousins, if you like, keepiing Gaelic Games going in North Down. being a member of the committee i know hard it is like to keep a club going in an area like ours. being from a large South Armagh club, it is easy to keep going due the fact it is the centre of the community, but in Holywood it is a lot harder due to several factors not seen at home, and i am sure it is the same with the other 2 clubs.

i think this rivalry has stemmed from playing each other so many times over the years, where as there isn't the same with Carryduff as the have always been a league higher than either of us.

remember going there last year and there was a bucket at the entrance to the pitch, nearlr sure it was a public pitch like Cherryvale
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid