Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on December 20, 2006, 11:45:57 AM

Come on Ross, give us something to talk about.

Wobbler,stuck for words! ;)

Regarding the early date for under 21 trials,Pete's selection as manager,and our obvious talent at this age-could this be the year for our first under 21 title,since 1979?Who will be the main players......is their any new talent out there......is your own Paddy McNulty still underage?
Any thoughts,Wobbler et al.

Brick Tamlin

U21s should on paper be a very decent group of players but sure look what happened to last years team against Armagh.

i wouldnt be as optimistic about this team's chances as some might be purely becasue usually our very talented teams at various grades fail to live up to expectations and ultimately falter and our more unglamorous less talented teams seem to do better ie minor team that won all ireland was nowhere near the best mninor team we have produced since the "still to graduate" class of '99.

Big players for U

Brick Tamlin

goldenyears

anyone heard that scullion has opted out this season? also heard that 2 hurlers showing well; mcgourty & johnson

goldenyears

no u21s or college players included in current panel; a number of players given extra time to rest; leaving a training panel of a number of unknowns......

Carr fumes over ruling on winter friendlies 
GAA 
By Ronan McManus 

DOWN manager Ross Carr has hit out at the new GAA directive which prevents inter-county teams playing challenge matches in December.

Carr and his assistant DJ Kane have been trawling through the Mourne county since their appointment in late October to bring together a panel for the year ahead, with the McKenna Cup kicking off in just over two weeks.

"These recent orders from Croke Park have confined our preparation somewhat," said Carr.

"At the end of the day, the likes of this management team, who are new to the job, are trying to scour the county for players and we have decided on 40 to for the time being.

"We need to see these boys playing other county players but, unfortunately, Croke Park has decreed a rule that we can't do that."

The new directive from Central Council was designed for the benefit of the players – to extend their off season – but Carr believes the rules are unfair on players.

"There are only so many times the lads can play games between ourselves before they get pissed off?" said the 1991 and 1994 All-Ireland winner.

Carr, who was in charge of Monaghan club Castleblayney last year, also revealed that facilities have also been a problem.

"We've been at the mercy of the clubs to give us their pitches and with the spell of poor weather it's been a problem getting adequate facilities," he said.

However, despite the problems in preparing for the upcoming McKenna Cup the Clonduff man is still looking forward to the competitive matches with his new squad.

"I'm looking forward to getting the games, but with a wee bit of trepidation," said Carr.

"We're going into it not knowing how the fellas will fare with a lot of them not having played in senior inter-county matches yet. So we will just have to wait and see."

uselessfootballer

"also heard that 2 hurlers showing well; mcgourty & johnson"

Seen McGourty play in the U-21 Championship recently, looks like a fine young player for the future.
Would be doubtful if he's a ready made solution for the 2007 team, but definately 1 to be groomed for a midfield slot, needs regular football.

downredblack

Just like to wish all Down fans a Happy and Peaceful Christmas and for 2007 better days ahead lads . ;D

Bearly on loose

I would like to echo the sentiments of down red & black.

Having finally made the change over to the new board i would also like to extend my sympathy to all patrons who have been denied the opportunity to read my comments in the past number of months.  i will try to fill this void in your lives in the future.

6th sam

Happy Christmas to all Down gaels(even "THE gael").
Hoping for a successful 2007 for all Down teams,football and hurling.

Armagh Exile

Quote"Our preparation for the championship went well and the training was enjoyable.

"We'd do six or seven mile runs around the lake in Castlewellan and everyone was really putting it into it.

Can't see Ross using this training method.

superblues

was at the game in newcastle  very bad conditions  but few new faces done OK magic johnson Jackie lynch Aidan burns peter turley all big men maybe the it was the conditions that suited them but the next few months will be interisting

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

An Dun Deal

Seniors put Down the Allstar challenge

The Down senior team proved too strong for the Powerade Down Allstars in a special charity football game in St Patrick's Park, Newcastle yesterday, securing a 2-8 to 0-4 win.

Played in atrocious conditions with a swirling gale force breeze blowing down the pitch, the players who took part must be complimented on providing an entertaining game with some excellent passages of good football in the conditions.

The Down side played the better football and it was evident that Ross Carr has done a lot to whip them into shape since being appointed along with DJ Kane.

Stephen Toner, Joe Doran, Darren Cunningham and Jackie Lynch were strong in the Down defence with county hurler Gareth 'Magic' Johnson making an impressive senior football debut at midfield.

In attack, Kevin Gracey, Brendan Loughran and Connor Gribben were most impressive.

For the Allstars, Daniel McCartan, Alan Molloy and James McGovern worked hard in defence. Martin McClean was the better of the midfielders, while, in attack, Ronan Sexton and John Fegan were best.

Down attacked from the start with Brendan Loughran lobbing over two points. The Allstars fought back with a Ronan Sexton point and the sides were level at 0-3 each midway through the half after Stephen Kearney and John Quinn exchanged points and John Fegan punched over when a goal looked certain.

Two goals for Down by Kevin Gracey and Conor Gribben left Down ahead by 2-4 to 0-3 at half time. Within a minute of the restart, Brendan Loughran increased the winners' lead with a point and, with both sides making numerous changes and the conditions

worsening, scores were scarce.

Ronan Sexton and Adrian Carville exchanged points, as did John Fegan and Daniel Hughes, while Allstars 'keeper Sean James Brannigan brought off two great saves from Daniel Hughes and Kevin Gracey late in the game.

John Fegan then saw a great effort for the Allstars come back off the crossbar and cleared to safety.

amallon

Happy New year lads.  It wasn't a bad game of football yesterday considering the conditions were as bad as you could get.  Magic looked the part yesterday, he was good in the air and strong in the tackle.  There is potential there t will be interesting to see how he goes next week against Antrim.  £1400 raised for charity.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Square Ball

Did Magic look as if he had played the game all his life? the guy is a natural athlete and has the build but does he have the talent?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid