Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 18, 2008, 09:44:57 AM
Has anyone else heard that the kangaroo shaggers are talking to young McComiskey???

Jayzus 5 Sams I dunno what you do when you go to the zoo but have you ever seen the size of a 'roos tail?
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

amallon

Heard the story about McComiskey over the weekend.  I think/hope its someone starting a bit of scandal for the craic.  Would he not be too small to play in Oz?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Ballybredagh

Agree with Johnny Cool's use of the word "debacle" to describe the Down minor hurling set-up for this year. I'd suggest you could also use the words arrogant, aloof, patronising and condescending to describe the attitude of the minor management team towards the minor hurlers in Liatroim, Ballela, Ballyvarley, Warrenpoint, Newry, Kilclief, Castlewellan, Clonduff, Carryduff and Bredagh. Come to think of it I think "disgraceful" sums it up best of all. If we ever manage to close the gap between the Ards and Non-Ards hurling teams, I just hope the young hurlers in the Ards are never treated so disdainfully. 

johnneycool

Quote from: Ballybredagh on February 18, 2008, 10:54:24 PM
Agree with Johnny Cool's use of the word "debacle" to describe the Down minor hurling set-up for this year. I'd suggest you could also use the words arrogant, aloof, patronising and condescending to describe the attitude of the minor management team towards the minor hurlers in Liatroim, Ballela, Ballyvarley, Warrenpoint, Newry, Kilclief, Castlewellan, Clonduff, Carryduff and Bredagh. Come to think of it I think "disgraceful" sums it up best of all. If we ever manage to close the gap between the Ards and Non-Ards hurling teams, I just hope the young hurlers in the Ards are never treated so disdainfully. 

I'd be in total agreement with you Ballybredagh if I knew for sure that it was they that made the decision, but I don't know that. I'll have to ask Kevin as he and dutch are big mates.

Bacon

Quote from: johnneycool on February 19, 2008, 11:13:20 AM
Quote from: Ballybredagh on February 18, 2008, 10:54:24 PM

I'd be in total agreement with you Ballybredagh if I knew for sure that it was they that made the decision, but I don't know that. I'll have to ask Kevin as he and dutch are big mates.

I wouldn't blame Dutch at all. The managers were put in place far to late to allow proper trials to take place. The Ulster league starts this weekend. The main difficulty (as ever) is the very poor communication.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Aristotle Flynn

Looking at the remaining 5 league matches you would have to be confident of winning this Division. Wexford away looks the toughest. Fermanagh have 2 matches to fit in because of postponments and might have to play mid week to fit them in. That could be good for Down.

I think we really have to start Benny and McComiskey if they are fully fit.

Allianz National Football League 2008

Round 3
02.03.08 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Loch Garman v An Dún

Round 4
15.03.008 (Sat) @ 7.00pm
An Dún v Longfort

Round 5
29.03.08 (Sat) @ 7.00pm
An Dún v Luimneach

Round 6
06.04.2008 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Liatroim v An Dún

Round 7
13.04.08 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
An Dún v Fear Manach

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

amallon

As long as Benny and Ambrose aren't carrying injuries they should start even if they aren't 100% up to speed.  They won't get match fit sitting on the bench.  If McComiskey hasn't played for Queens in the 3 or 4 days before the Wexford game he should start. 

Whats Paul Murphy's status?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Leo

Quote from: amallon on February 18, 2008, 10:48:26 AM
Heard the story about McComiskey over the weekend.  I think/hope its someone starting a bit of scandal for the craic.  Would he not be too small to play in Oz?

We can't dismiss lightly the fact that AFL are intent on recruiting the cream of the crop. This process has accelerated this year because of the outstanding immediate impact of Martin Clarke of Down. While others have done very well (Kennelly) or reasonably well (O'Halpin), Clarke has been a sensation in Australia and now all the clubs are queuing up. The latest target is definitley Paul McComiskey who hasn't even played a full senior game yet (same with Clarke). No sport likes to lose any talent to another but we have opened the doors wide to losing our very best. We are one step away from using the resources and labour of GAA clubs up and down the country to provide a production line for a rival sport. Madness!!

What I find amazing is that the GAA are even considering a rerun of the Aussie/International Rules fiasco that should have been well and truly buried for all sorts of reasons not the least of which is that we are providing an invite to the carpetbaggers to come right in and rip us off. Unbelievable stuff. What any of this does in the name of promoting the GAA has always defeated me. It is now a crisis, not just for Down but for the GAA.

How many Clarke and McComiskey wannabees are a step away from having as their ambition not a medal in Croke Park but a career down under.
Fierce tame altogether

spiritof91and94

Well done to St Malachy's High easily winning the Markey Cup final today at Casement Park, Devlin, Poland & Bonny will be the spine of this years minor team on todays performance. Coney from Ardboe is a very good prospect but Sydney Swans have him tapped up aparently.

Lecale2

Betsy Gray Cup this weekend

Clonduff V Shamrocks.
Ballela V Castlewellan.
Bredagh V Laitroim.
Ballyvarley V Warrenpoint

Warrenpoint has a good win over Kilclief last Sunday.

bridgegael

Mainpage | Down Counties | Search | Message Board | Results 

2007 Down GAA Powerade All Star Team
20 February 2008

The 2007 Down GAA Powerade All Star Team is currently being picked by members of the media in Down. A total of 45 players have been shortlisted - 3 Goalkeepers, 18 Defenders, 6 Midfielders and 18 Forwards. The players that have been shortlisted were put forward by members of the media along with the County PR Committee after each match of the 2007 Down GAA Powerade Senior Football Championship.

Goalkeepers
Liam Coulter (Mayobridge), Conor Farrell (Newry Shamrocks), Cathal
Murdock (Burren)

Defenders
Gavin Barry (Mayobridge), Aidan Brannigan (Kilcoo), Mark Doran (Longstone), Kevin Duffin (Castlewellan), Sean Farrell (Rostrevor), Conor Garvey (Mayobridge), Brendan Grant (Mayobridge), Seamus Grant (Mayobridge), Michael Higgins (Longstone), Luke Howard (Bryansford), Daniel Mc Cartan (Burren), Daragh Mc Meel (Warrenpoint), Benny McArdle (Annaclone), Gerard McEvoy (Kilcoo), Shane O'Hare (Mayobridge), Eamon Quinn (Longstone), Kevin Quinn (Atticall), Aiden Sheilds (Bryansford)

Midfielders
John Caldwell (Mayobridge), Adrian Carville (Bryansford), Dan Gordon (Loughinisland), Fintan Mc Greevey (Castlewellan), Colm McCrickard (Laitroim), Ambrose Rodgers (Longstone)

Forwards
Adrian Barry (Mayobridge), Chris Brannigan (Bryansford), Aidan Burns (Castlewellan), Paddy Cole (An Riocht), Benny Coulter (Mayobridge), Barry Doran (Longstone), Liam Doyle (Laitroim), Conor Gribben (Bryansford), Cathal Magee (Mayobridge), Conor Maginn (Bryansford), Gary McEvoy (Kilcoo), Kevin McKernan (Burren), Mark Polin (Longstone), Declan Rooney (Burren), Ronan Sexton (Mayobridge), Ryan Stranney (Loughinisland), Eamon Trimble (Longstone), Michael Walsh (Mayobridge)

It is your chance to see if you can match the media pundits in their selection. Send your 15 All Star nominations (1 Goalkeeper, 6 defenders, 2 midfielders and 6 forwards) from the 45 players via email: 2007allstars@down.gaa.ie or post: All Star Selection, Down GAA County Office, 17 Newcastle Road, Castlewellan, Co Down BT31 9DP before Friday 14th March 2008. Entries can also be done online @ www.downgaa.net.

The person with the closest selection to the final team chosen by the media will win two tickets to the upcoming Down GAA Dinner which will be held in the Canal Court Hotel on Friday 28th March 2008 as well as a signed Down GAA Jersey. Two runners up will win a Down Polo Shirt.

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

TORGAEL

CORN NA OG FINAL

ST.COLMANS, NEWRY  1-9
ST PATS, ARMAGH       1-7

Whitehair

Betsy Gray Hurling Cup

Ballela 1.10 Castlewellan 1.6
Ballyvarley 1.10 Warrenpoint 1.8

P.S Well done to St Colmans yesterday, few good young footballers from Drumgath and Kilcoo in the side amongst others.

In the Onion Bag

Betsy Gray

Leitrim bt Bredagh by 3.  Good game