Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRIDGE LAD

Great second half display by Down, wasn't looking good at half time, although we give them two slack goals! I thought the changes made were v good, especially Murney who steadied up the back line. McGovern maybe lacking bit of height and strength. Murney seems to be improving with every game. Liam Doyle was immense again and wee Rony was unreal, for the size of the man he got in and among Sligo's big men like a wee terrier!! As Mourne Rover says, we have to go to Louth now and perform away from home!

Think the team that finished should start in two weeks, with the exception of OHanlon who had good spells in the game but looks shaky when in posession. Maybe Luke Howard or McGuigan for that spot with Murtagh playing right half!

What do ya's think yourselves???? ;)

COME ON DOWN!!!

BRIDGE LAD

Oh aye, what about trying McKernan wing half back? Seemed lost last night. Just a thought!!!

BRIDGE LAD

Yea would agree with you there 5times on McVeigh, i thought he was the best option, looked dodgy enough sometimes. Bernie should be given a chance! He only played against Donegal and didn't do much wrong! Maybe your right about Benny one half might be plenty.

dundrumite

Quote from: BRIDGE LAD on February 03, 2008, 11:35:15 AM
Yea would agree with you there 5times on McVeigh, i thought he was the best option, looked dodgy enough sometimes. Bernie should be given a chance! He only played against Donegal and didn't do much wrong! Maybe your right about Benny one half might be plenty.

Neither inspire me with confidence, for me seen him play on numerous occasions, I would like to see Mickey Mc Allister at least be given a chance.

southdown

Didnt see any clampers in Newry last night.  Good second half display but the first half was very worrying.

Looking over at the Tyrone threads is good reading, things arent going well, I am strangely finding myself increasingly optimistic about travelling to Omagh.

On another note, I keep seeing Luke Howard's name being mentioned about starting for Down.  Am I missing something here?  A good enough club player but I cant see nothing more than that.

charlie stubbs

i was just looking thru the programmed from the minor semi v tyrone few years ago.see a few of the boys have progressed to the senior ranks and beyond clarke,boyle,mccomiskey.what happened the young lad martin farrell from annaclone does he play ne ball still?

bcarrier

Pangur, I'd be 100% in agreement with your position on Benny and it isnt because I have a vendatta either. Some of you' bridge lads want to pull your horns in . Getting the most out of Benny from a team perspective is biggest challenge Ross & DJ  have now that the Liam Doyle is being put to best use. Anyway good to see things on the up.

mournerambler

Just in case BRIDGELAD is'nt aware, this is'nt the "mayobridge players must come first" forum.               From reading a lot of your comments you appear to be quite blinkered when it comes to recognising that we do have other talent on our senior football panel that deserve to be given a chance at this level, & your assumption that Benny would be the first forward of the bench if we were in trouble against Sligo seemed quite arrogant & proved to be somewhat untrue ???

Leo

Of the team that started against Sligo:

McVeigh - still not sure - prefer Alder
McGovern - lack of height exposed but his commitment should earn panel place
McArdle - worth persevering with him - very cool & learnin fast
Cole - shoe-in - class act
O'Hanlon - out of his depth
Doyle - up where he belongs - gold dust
McGuigan - shows well on the ball but defensively weak & willl have to settle for a panel place
Lynch - working really hard - lacks finesse but is an option we need to persevere with
Gordon - great second half - need more consistency
Fegan - plenty of energy but don't think he will make the team later in the year
McKernan - out odf position - possible understudy for Doyle
Hughes - in the form of his life
Clarke - the forward line needs his physicality & scoring ability
Magee - for the future - reserves this year
Sexton - indespensable

Thoise who will definitely find a place are:
Coulter
Rodgers
Carr (althoug probably not at half back which should be where he plays)

Strong contenders are:
Murtagh
Rafferty
Murphy
Colgan

Not getting carried away but I think this analysis give good cause for optimism.

Fierce tame altogether

TORGAEL

Leo, good selection and analysis there, but would McComiskey not be worth his place in either the definites or strong contenders ? Also id prefer to see Connell in nets. I dont think he's made any mistakes when he's been given his chances.

Mourne Rover

Leo's assessment is fairly close to the mark, but McComiskey is a certain starter, and, Murphy, if fit, is the same. Carr has a lot of work to do if he is to get close to the first 15, while amazing as it might sound, Ambrose is probably behind Jackie as of now. The others Leo does not mention who are bound to be pusing hard are Declan Rooney, Dan McCartan and Michael Walsh. At long last, we have some strength in depth.

imagine

Leo your views are  good but I'd have to disagree with you as regards Fagan.I think he has a great engine and his overall contribution on Sat was immense.Who would you put in instead at this stage of the year ?

Leo

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 03, 2008, 11:38:02 PM
Leo's assessment is fairly close to the mark, but McComiskey is a certain starter, and, Murphy, if fit, is the same. Carr has a lot of work to do if he is to get close to the first 15, while amazing as it might sound, Ambrose is probably behind Jackie as of now. The others Leo does not mention who are bound to be pusing hard are Declan Rooney, Dan McCartan and Michael Walsh. At long last, we have some strength in depth.

Sorry - serious omission on my part re McComiskey. May not start every game but in with a big shout.
I like Murphy & Rooney who both add real options at half back.
Carr, I agree with you. He is a fair enough player but rarely wins his own ball; however he will play for sure. To me is is a possible wing half-back and too weak for CHF.
Don't buy into the Dan McCartan thing. Great lad I am told but so often exposed and constant fouling are problems.
Doubt if Wals will be available much but properly motivated he would be an asset.
Fierce tame altogether

goldenyears

Weird when you walk away from a game and so many people have differing opinions on who played well and who didnt - you even hear comments during a game and you think, what is that fella (or worse still, woman!) talking about! then you think, am i giving this player a hard time?? maybe he is playing well.....anyway, here goes my evaluation...

Quote from: Leo on February 03, 2008, 10:27:11 PM
Of the team that started against Sligo:

McVeigh - my number 1, but a dodgy kickout caused a goal, and one ropey moment under a high ball
McGovern - lack of height exposed but his commitment should earn panel place - agree with leo, plus he is too slow
McArdle - worth persevering with him - very cool & learnin fast - agree with leo, doing very very well
Cole - worried that monk thinks he should be going forward so much; he appeared at right corner forward in injury time!
O'Hanlon - out of his depth, agree with leo
Doyle - up where he belongs - gold dust, agree with leo; altho worried 1v1, o'hara set him on his hole in the first half on the wing
McGuigan - shows well on the ball but defensively weak & willl have to settle for a panel place - agreed
Lynch - working really hard - lacks finesse but is an option we need to persevere with - fair play to him but wont make the champship 15
Gordon - great second half - need more consistency - has the ability to be a superstar
Fegan - plenty of energy - doing so so well, and accuracy from free kicks definitely helps his case
McKernan - not sure where he is best placed; can score but not a good tackler at all
Hughes - in the form of his life; o/s ball carrier with ability to score
Clarke - the forward line needs his physicality & scoring ability - agree with leo
Magee - for the future - reserves this year - agreed with leo
Sexton - indespensable; a definite starter somewhere in the forward line

DownFanatic

Looking at our panel as a whole these would be my preferences in each position.

Goalkeepers

1. Mickey McAllister
----------------------------
2. Brendan McVeigh
3. Bernie Connell
4. Declan Alder

Corner Backs

1. Martin Cole
2. Dan McCartan
---------------------------
3. Ciaran McGovern
4. Luke Howard