Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

on the way up

Ambrose and D Rafferty should be on the bench along with Benny, Paul Mc Cumisky and Rony Murtagh first time in years we have such a strong bench. Good luck to the boys sat night

downredblack

Thursday, January 31, 2008

By John Campbell

When Down exited the Ulster Championship last year, Daniel Hughes embodied honesty and dignity as he confronted a hungry media scrum afterwards.

The Saval clubman acknowledged that the Mourne side had failed to do themselves justice against Monaghan and when they subsequently were squeezed out of the All Ireland qualifiers by Meath, Hughes again did not seek excuses.

Today, though, the dark-haired scoring ace, in tandem with his colleagues, is determined to further erase the memory of what was a painful 2007 when the National Football League begins on this week-end.

Hughes has been superb in Down's march to the Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup this month but stresses that the team have still to prove themselves.

" We maybe have recaptured a bit of pride but that's as far as it goes. It's always pleasant to win silverware but we will certainly not be getting any ideas about ourselves," maintains Hughes.

His marksmanship, work-rate and total commitment have proved infectious with a number of other Down players displaying an appetite for battle since the start of the McKenna Cup that augers well for the future.

But Hughes himself believes that Down have still some way to go before they can be considered viable candidates for major silverware.

"We know our strengths and our weak points. But the fact that all the players are prepared to work hard for the cause is a great encouragement. Ross and DJ (Kane) have been very diligent in their preparations for the season and I think we are seeing some early benefits of that," says Hughes.

He deservedly won the man of the match award in last Saturday's McKenna Cup final but quickly proffered his own view on individual accolades.

"Sure, it's nice to get something like this but it is much more satisfying to be part of a team that is beginning to play well as a unit. We have been scoring quite a lot although we do tend to concede scores as well," he said.

"We have been improving our tracking back, I think, and in the modern game it is recognised that half-forwards must play like half-backs. We're all in this together, the spirit is good and we want to stick to the winning habit we seem to have acquired."

miss mess

What is Mickey Linden thinking taking over Drumgath?!

off the laces

Quote from: miss mess on February 01, 2008, 02:43:46 PM

Porb the Favorites for the Junior Championship Silverware in first season
Keeps 'er' straight

5 Sams

Quote from: miss mess on February 01, 2008, 02:43:46 PM

Three county players is a pretty good start for any club....Mickey would command total respect in a place like Drumgath....a club which has more than its fair share of head the balls. I think he'll do OK.
The Aristocrat Years

holylandsbomber

Does anyone know when the club championship draws are taking place ??????

TORGAEL

Totally agree 5 Sams. Im a Drumgath man myself & i think getting Mickey Linden on board is a great capture. The players are there for us to obtain success. They just require a figurehead to have faith in, and respect, and i believe Mickey could be that man. Im sure theres plenty of clubs out there who would love to have him on board.

RedBlack

Re: Mickey & Drumgath

Is Mickey likely to play in Div 3 this year - I'd say a few defenders at this level wouldn't fancy the prospect of marking him. Him and Enda Gormley playing in the same league :)!

Square Ball

Down Team v Sligo – Round 1, 2008 NFL Div 3
Saturday 2nd Feb 2008, Pairc Esler Newry @ 7.00 p.m.

1   Brendan McVeigh   An Ríocht
2   Ciarán McGovern   Boireann
3   Gary McArdle   Eanach Cluana
4   Martin Cole   Caisleán Ruairi
5   Darren O'Hanlon   Baile Uí Mhairtin
6   Liam Doyle   Liatroim
7   Kevin McGuigan   Seamrogai An Iuir
8   Dan Gordon   Loch An Oilean
9   Jack Lynch   Droim Gath
10   John Fegan   Cluain Daimh
11   Kevin McKernan   Boireann
12   Danny Hughes   Sabhall
13   John Clarke   An Ríocht
14   Cathal Magee   Droichead Mhaigh Eo
15   Ronan Sexton   Droichead Mhaigh Eo
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

western exile

Besides he couldn't play for them without going through the transfer process first. That hassle hardly worth his while at stage of his career  :).  Expect him to do well as manager though.  Good luck to both Mickey and Drumgath.

Regards the team selection for tomorrow night, I am happy to start with the same 15 as last week, and I expect to see McComiskey come off the bench.

amallon

I don't think there is much surprise that Ross has stuck with the same team it would have been hard to drop any one.  There is pressure on everyone starting to hold onto their jersey, there will be pressure on the boys coming in because they know they got to take their chance. Great to see.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

BRIDGE LAD

Quote from: western exile on February 01, 2008, 06:24:52 PM

Regards the team selection for tomorrow night, I am happy to start with the same 15 as last week, and I expect to see McComiskey come off the bench.

Dont know why everyone keeps going about McComiskey coming on, what has he done in a Down jersey yet????
Think i'd be looking to Benny as our first option from the bench! Mark my words, he'll be first forward to come on if in trouble!!!!!!!!!! ??? ??? ??? ???

Lecale2

No. Don't agree. McComiskey has been playing with UUJ and is match fit - get him on ASAP. Benny could do with a rest. Thre's no need to rush him back.

BRIDGE LAD

Quote from: Lecale2 on February 01, 2008, 09:23:03 PM
No. Don't agree. McComiskey has been playing with UUJ and is match fit - get him on ASAP. Benny could do with a rest. Thre's no need to rush him back.

Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
McComiskey goes to Queens university, so he cant play  for UUJ!!!
Well done.

BRIDGE LAD

Quote from: imagine on February 01, 2008, 09:47:38 PM
I see Benny is being taught a long,slow lesson.The leash will be stretched when he is eventually given playing time.The team first,personalties second.Well played Ross and Co.

Whats this personalties craic about??
Benny has been laid off with an injury, [Mod 3 - Personal Abuse]! We'll see all about his personality soon enough!!!!!!