Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisdoon1

Quote from: Pangurban on January 24, 2008, 10:16:11 PM
You are entitled too your opinion lisdoon, i just hope you never have to defend it in any intelligent company, you will make a laughing stock of yourself

Any why would that be?

western exile

Quote from: thewobbler on January 24, 2008, 10:30:49 PM
Midfielders don't need hangtime, they need height and timing....

Are you referring to the way the modern game is played?   Because former players, with much better hangtime than Benny, like Mayo greats Wille Joe Padden and Liam McHale were seldom played on the edge of the goal square. Cormac McAnallen RIP also had great hangtime.

Do you mean that there is no longer a need to have a player with that skill to play a more central role because of the way we play the game these days?
Personally, I think a team that reintroduces that skill in the middle of the pairc will add a breath of fresh air to modern football.

Mourne Rover

Benny will remain only potentially a great player until he is involved in a senior championship match at Croke Park. A Down player who has never performed at HQ (apart from minor and international rules) cannot be compared to the legends of the past. To put it in some sort of context, I believe that Armagh have played 19 championship games at Croke Park since 1999. I am pretty sure that Benny will be electric when he get his chance at the highest level, but I would also have to say that, apart from the two Cavan games, he was not at his best last summer. He is now 27, which is around the same age that Greg and Mickey, after years of knocking on the door in a senior jersey, finally made their breakthrough. I hope he comes off the bench to terrify Derry on Saturday night.

Lecale2

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 24, 2008, 11:55:39 PM
He is now 27, which is around the same age that Greg and Mickey, after years of knocking on the door in a senior jersey, finally made their breakthrough.

Has to be one of the stupidest statements ever posted on here. Greg and Mickey were great players before they ever won an All Ireland SFC.

Out in Front

Sean Kelly will not be taking part in the Q&A but Ross Carr has kindly agreed to take his place.

For those who may be interested, among the prizes in the raffle we're having on the night is a Kerry jersey signed by last year's All-Ireland winning team.

Gaelic Life GAA Q & A NIGHT
In association with the Newry Reporter
In aid of the 
SOUTHERN AREA HOSPICE SERVICES

In the CANAL COURT HOTEL, NEWRY
On WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 6, 2008
@ 7.45pm - TICKETS £10

MC for the evening, the BBC's MARK SIDEBOTTOM

Taking your questions will be
JARLATH BURNS, JOE KERNAN, JOE BROLLY & ROSS CARR

Tickets are available at the door on the night or they can be purchased in advance from the following:
Darren / Mairead, Gaelic Life, 14 John Street, Omagh, BT78 1DW. Tel: 028 8225 5959
Paul Welsh, Newry Reporter, 4 Margaret Street, Newry, BT35 1DF. Tel: 028 3026 7633

(please make cheque payable to Southern Area Hospice Services)

Mourne Rover

Lecale2, you must be just back from the Parador if you missed the reference to `in a senior jersey.' You are obviously right to say that Greg and Mickey were great talents before the 1991 AI, but, if you ask them, I'm fairly sure they would say that their first Celtic Cross marked their breakthrough at the highest level. Mickey in particular is on record as accepting that he did not do himself justice for Down until he was in his late 20s. Would Greg swap his two All Irelands for his under-age and NFL medals ? It's about as likely as him pulling out of a tackle.

StoneCowboy

He is now 27, which is around the same age that Greg and Mickey, after years of knocking on the door in a senior jersey, finally made their breakthrough. I hope he comes off the bench to terrify Derry on Saturday night.

Minor detail but Bennys actually only 25, its just hes been around for a while, so hopefully he will still have time to get to HQ and show his talents on the national stage.

No1

Is it true the football leagues are starting on April 18th and running right through to October?

Leo

Quote from: Lecale2 on January 25, 2008, 12:07:29 AM
He is now 27, which is around the same age that Greg and Mickey, after years of knocking on the door in a senior jersey, finally made their breakthrough.

Has to be one of the stupidest statements ever posted on here. Greg and Mickey were great players before they ever won an All Ireland SFC.

On the ball Mourne Rover.
Blaney was a superstar from age 16 - man of the match at that age in an AI U21 final at Croke, Sigerson cup inspiration for QUB, International Rules team at age 18, everything he touched turned to "win" and Mickey will be the first to acknowledge how his own game at county level developed and prospered with him. And in his later years after 91 the team was on the way to oblivion until Blaney led the charge again in 94. Ask Liam Harnon of Meath or Stehen O'Brien of Cork - they'll give you the definitive view on the best player they both said ever played against.
Fierce tame altogether

stpauls

Quote from: No1 on January 25, 2008, 09:16:55 AM
Is it true the football leagues are starting on April 18th and running right through to October?

No1,

i have heard a rumour that Div 3 is starting on Easter Sunday, in fact i think it starts the week before.

No1

It would need to, sure isn't there 30 teams in it this year.

;D

stpauls

i know, unfortunately not that good for us who will be training for the next god knows how many months!

western exile

Over the last 3 wins nearly every player has been mentioned on this board, mostly with positive comments and some players receiving less positive  comments.
However, I don't remember any comments on the performance of Martin Cole.   What do posters, who have attended the games, think of his performance so far this year?

holylandsbomber

Down 2008 - Club Football Fixtures

I read today in the IN that the senior football season starts on Sunday 9th March for Div 3.

Apparently the fixtures were presented to the county board last night.

Does anybody on this thread have a copy they can post for the forth coming season please.

BRIDGE LAD

Thats a very good point western exile, i think he has been steady enough, he was shaky against Donegal but had good steady performance's against UUJ and Cavan. He's definitely a better option at corner back than McGuigan. I just dont see how the management rate McGuigan! He is good at breaking forward but lacks awareness and man marking in the defence. I just hope he proves me wrong! :-X :-X 8) 8)