Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisdoon1

Lynch realy did play a stormer tonight. Well chuffed for him as he took a bit of flack on here after the tyrone game. Brilliant to see Doyle back in the red and black and I was very impressed with him.

Connell was good in my eyes tonight & what else can you ask for but a clean sheet. Not sure about McAllister, lest try out  the 3 we have & take it from there.

The 13 points conceeded do raise concern, on a bad day 5 goals = 5 wides and the game is much tighter.

Lets look at the positives from tonight & lookforward to UUJ on Saturday.

Is the match defo in Newcastle??

whyarerefssobad

thats a real bad 5 goals=5 wides ;)
always look on the bright side

western exile

yes, it would be a very bad day.  But sometimes luck, or the flow of the game can go against you.  If the first 2 attempts went wide, the team may be reluctant to attempt another one, never mind three !
But lisdoons point is will made,   a 0-14 to 0-13 game would be a closer scoreline.

But, I agree, let us keep positive and look forward to a potentially good game on Saturday.

passedit

Anybody got he starting fifteen? I assume the 'tullylish lad' was Mc Areavey?

Two very pleasant surprises in Newry tonight.
Don't Panic

western exile

Bernard Connell Drumgath
CiarĂ¡n McGovern Burren       Gary McArdle Annaclone         Martin Cole Rostrevor
Colm Murney Rostrevor        Liam Doyle Liatroim                 Kevin McGuigan Shamrocks
                        Dan Gordon Loughisland          Jack Lynch Drumgath
John Fegan Clonduff          Kevin McKernan Burren            Danny Hughes Saval
John Mc Areavey Tullylish    Cathal Magee Mayobridge        Ronan Sexton Mayobridge

Mourne Rover

It was a bit of a pinch yourself night, with Down rattling in goals, a DUP minister in the stand and, most amazing of all, a defence looking as though it might be up to the job. Fair enough, we conceded 13 points but most of those were handy frees presented to McFadden by a ref who took sympathy on Donegal in the second half.

The single most encouraging aspect was provided by McArdle, who survived a few hairy moments but at long last is a big strong full back with a bit of pace. It was also great to finally see Doyle at CHB, and, although he was carrying some extra pounds and took a while to adjust to the pace, showed a touch of class when he started to carry the ball out of defence.

Lynch had a stormer, and got a peach of a goal and two even better points, while Dan was also excellent and all the forwards were buzzing. It was only a McKenna Cup game, and Donegal had thrown the towel in long before the end, but we might just have something to build on here.

The atmosphere under the floodlights was great, and could give us plenty of momentum for the Saturday night games in the NFL. Has anyone worked out the likely winning margin we will need against UUJ to make the McKenna semi finals ? 

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 16, 2008, 11:26:37 PM
It was a bit of a pinch yourself night, with Down rattling in goals, a DUP minister in the stand and, most amazing of all, a defence looking as though it might be up to the job. Fair enough, we conceded 13 points but most of those were handy frees presented to McFadden by a ref who took sympathy on Donegal in the second half.

The single most encouraging aspect was provided by McArdle, who survived a few hairy moments but at long last is a big strong full back with a bit of pace. It was also great to finally see Doyle at CHB, and, although he was carrying some extra pounds and took a while to adjust to the pace, showed a touch of class when he started to carry the ball out of defence.

Lynch had a stormer, and got a peach of a goal and two even better points, while Dan was also excellent and all the forwards were buzzing. It was only a McKenna Cup game, and Donegal had thrown the towel in long before the end, but we might just have something to build on here.

The atmosphere under the floodlights was great, and could give us plenty of momentum for the Saturday night games in the NFL. Has anyone worked out the likely winning margin we will need against UUJ to make the McKenna semi finals ?   

A win of any kind and you're through.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=919.1050         page 71 Scroll down for the tables.

amallon

A great Down performance tonight, just a pity Donegal didn't play their strongest team as Ross had hoped for earlier in the week.  Jackie Lynch put in a great performance and got a great ovation from the 2100 crowd when he was taken off with 10ish to go.  Doyle had a great game at CHB.  The new fella McAreavey had a a clinker every thing he touched turned to gold.  I'll reserve judgement on him until he comes up against a meaner defence.  Same goes for John Fegan who had a good game too.  Cathal Magee didn't have a great game and probably has blown his chance for this year with the county.  Connell made a great save to deny a ceratin goal but I didn't much of his kick outs and he scares me under a high ball. 

Ross did two things that most Down supporters have been looking for since he took over.  He played Doyle at CHB  and brought John Clarke on in full forward.  Clarke wasn't long enough to be rated though. 

We need to start winning games even if they are only McKenna cup games.  The Poly will be a more realistic acid test.  I really enjoyed the game its just what Down needed.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

lisdoon1

Lets enjoy tonights win & hope we can build.

To add to the glory, lets also remember McComiskey has yet to come into the frame

he was Queens top marksman tonight  - again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7193079.stm

western exile

Judging by the tables, a win over UUJ will put us into the semis as group winners.

However, by my calculations, we could afford to lose by a small margin and still stay ahead of Fermanagh as best group runners up?

Dr McKenna Cup Tables   

Section A    Played   Won   Draw   Lost   Points    For   Against   Scoring Average
Derry   3   3   0   0   6   46   28   1.400
Fermanagh   3   2   0   1   4    43   37   1.162
St Mary's   3   0   1   2   1   41   52   0.788
Armagh   3   2   1   2   1    29   42   0.690

Section B   Played   Won   Draw   Lost   Points    For   Against   Scoring Average
UUJ   2   2   0   0  4   31   24   1.292
Down   2   1   0   1   2    39   27   1.444
Tyrone   3   1   0   2  2   34   34   1.000
Donegal   3   1   0   2   2     27   30  0.900

Remaining fixture: UUJ v Down at Newcastle

Section C     Played   Won   Draw   Lost   Points    For   Against   Scoring Average
Cavan   3   1   0   1   4   40   33   1.212
QUB   3   2   0   0   4     37   39   0.948
Monaghan   3   1   0   2   2     36   32  1.125
Antrim   3   1   0   2  2   31   40   0.755

Cavan, Derry and then two from UUJ, Down and Fermanagh

western exile

having said that,  a win and a good performance again are preferred to just making the semi-final   ;)

never kickt a ball

Quote from: western exile on January 16, 2008, 11:47:35 PM
Judging by the tables, a win over UUJ will put us into the semis as group winners.

However, by my calculations, we could afford to lose by a small margin and still stay ahead of Fermanagh as best group runners up?

That will leave you on 2 points and Fermanagh on 4 points and they would go through. Steady on western.

western exile

Apologies !!   I was only looking at scoring average.  I forgot about points!  Doh!!!!

So, a win is required then folks !

never kickt a ball

Quote from: western exile on January 16, 2008, 11:56:12 PM
Apologies !!   I was only looking at scoring average.  I forgot about points!  Doh!!!!

So, a win is required then folks !

A cracking result Western. Easy to get carried away.

T O Hare

unexpected win but a great boost.. though i dont think we should get carried away, donegal were dire and the space the afforded the players was inexcusable, we had so much space at times that our players were taking too many toe taps and losing possession, this is the sort of play which has cost us dear in recent years, i thought everyone done reasonably well especially mc ardle, doyle , jackie and john mc.. Mallon,  i thought big cathal showed glimpses of his potential, that was his first start and looked a bit nervous, a good run with the u21's should bring him on, we are short of big mobile players so i think ross will coach him along...
big jackie is our francie bellew.. hes gives everything and puts himself about..
a great boost all the same!!!!!!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"