Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Dan Mc Cartan to follow his uncle and namesake out to CHB. If he doesn't have the presence to play there now he soon will have and he certainly has the intelligence and drive to play there.

Cue the volley of abuse from those who can't see past his name.
Don't Panic

DownFanatic

I trust you lads have seen a lot more of Paul Murphy than me over the years but I think he could be our best option at Number 3. Colgan will need a couple of years of acclimitisation there and at the moment Id question his mobility to perform the role. Declan Rooney has been tried and tested and in my opinion isnt very adapt to the position. Gary McArdle is very green at the moment and like Colgan will need a few more years under his belt. If somebody could explain to me why Murphy couldnt fill that position then work away.
As for Murtagh, he came on and played centre half back against Tyrone. Ideally Id love to see him in the full forward line but Ross seems adamant in playing him at the back. In my opinion, Murtagh seems to be the single most hungriest and fearsomely competitive player on the Down team at the moment. Centre half back is a crucial position on any team. It caters for a solid rock of a man and I can see Murtagh fitting in there no problem.
As for people critiscising his tackling technique. What a load of bollocks.

redandblackjack

Quote from: DownFanatic on January 14, 2008, 02:49:43 PM

In my opinion, Murtagh seems to be the single most hungriest and fearsomely competitive player on the Down team at the moment. Centre half back is a crucial position on any team. It caters for a solid rock of a man and I can see Murtagh fitting in there no problem.

He is indeed DF. Murtagh has an edge to him that sadly is missing in alot of our players especially the more established men. The fella wants to win and does not lie down- he has the potential to be a good leader on the pitch and hopefully will improve again on a good season for down last year. I have never seen much of a problem with his tackling- he has a good presence in the back line and is a threat on the break- a half forwards nightmare...the only other candidate for CHB would be Doyle- he is needed somewhere in Defence. Colgan is maybe an option, but supposidly he doesnt do the whole backline thingy!!! :D

thewobbler

Passedit, funny enough I was thinking the same myself re McCartan at no.6. He doesn't have the natural talent of most of his competitors for defensive positions, but he has worked his bollocks off to put himself in contention and (strangely for a Down defender), knows his limitations and uses his head to get himself out of any trouble. He'll not set too many attacks in motion, but if Ross and co. continue to refuse playing an extra man or two back, we'd probably be better served with an out and out defender at centre-back.

the milkman

Might change after a few Nat league games but something like this I would like to see line out!
1. D.Alder

2. M.Cole
3. G.McArdle
4. L.Howard

5. P.Murphy
6. L.Doyle
7. D.Rafferty

8. D.Gordon
9. J.Colgan

10. R.Sexton
11. A.Carr
12. A.Rodgers

13. B.Coulter
14.J.Clarke
15. P.McComiskey

Options on the bench with Hughes, Walsh, J Boyle D.McCartan and P.Downey

Uladh

In my opinion, Murtagh seems to be the single most hungriest and fearsomely competitive player on the Down team at the moment. Centre half back is a crucial position on any team. It caters for a solid rock of a man and I can see Murtagh fitting in there no problem.

It's hard to beat the down thread for comedy content.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Uladh on January 14, 2008, 07:51:33 PM

It's hard to beat the down thread for comedy content.

If you're set on inter-county abuse, there ought to be base rules of engagement:

- a least rudimentarily funny
- satire implied by quotation to be explained / noted

Otherwise it just looks like the lazy, energy-sapping post of a half wit.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Mourne Rover

We are not in a position to rule out many defenders, and I would happily give Murtagh another couple of runs at the back, but we need to be realistic and accept that, when the pressure was on last summer, he had a very ordinary game against Monaghan and was pretty woeful against Meath. While he was good going forward in the two Cavan matches, they were a limited side. Against better opponents, he was repeatedly caught out of position. He looks like a natural wing half forward to me.

Centre half forward is another problem area, and, again on the evidence of the Meath game, Aidan Carr is not likely to be the answer. He put his frees over that day, but was not strong enough to win any serious possession in open play and has the build of a corner forward.
If we do not have a play-maker at CHF, we need a ball-winner instead.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: thewobbler on January 14, 2008, 03:08:12 PM
Passedit, funny enough I was thinking the same myself re McCartan at no.6. He doesn't have the natural talent of most of his competitors for defensive positions, but he has worked his bollocks off to put himself in contention and (strangely for a Down defender), knows his limitations and uses his head to get himself out of any trouble. He'll not set too many attacks in motion, but if Ross and co. continue to refuse playing an extra man or two back, we'd probably be better served with an out and out defender at centre-back.

Oh yeah, make him captain as well while you are at it - he could maybe take the frees as well.

off the laces

Anyone know when the leagues are starting seems to be some confusion some people are saying easter sunday others are saying 2 weeks before that, i can find nothing on county site.
Keeps 'er' straight

Lecale2

Quote from: off the laces on January 15, 2008, 08:05:15 AM
Anyone know when the leagues are starting seems to be some confusion some people are saying easter sunday others are saying 2 weeks before that, i can find nothing on county site.
It hasn't been finally agreed yet. Draft fixtures are going to the CCC on 24th January.

passedit

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on January 15, 2008, 07:56:49 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 14, 2008, 03:08:12 PM

Oh yeah, make him captain as well while you are at it - he could maybe take the frees as well.

I detect a hint of sarcasm there Spirit, perhaps you could advance a few footballing reasons why he shouldn't be tried in this position.

BTW I have every confidence that he could make that position his own and if so I'd have no hesitation making him captain either. Eoin can take the frees.  :P
Don't Panic

spiritof91and94

When has Dan McCartan ever performed for Down?
Now all of a sudden he is the lynch pin of the defensive unit - lads at the end of the day he is an ordinary club player with little pace and practically no ball skills.

5 Sams

Quote from: the milkman on January 14, 2008, 06:46:31 PM
Might change after a few Nat league games but something like this I would like to see line out!
1. D.Alder

2. M.Cole
3. G.McArdle
4. L.Howard

5. P.Murphy
6. L.Doyle
7. D.Rafferty

8. D.Gordon
9. J.Colgan

10. R.Sexton
11. A.Carr
12. A.Rodgers

13. B.Coulter
14.J.Clarke
15. P.McComiskey

Options on the bench with Hughes, Walsh, J Boyle D.McCartan and P.Downey

You dont rate Murtagh then Milkman??
The Aristocrat Years

off the laces

1. D.Alder

2. M.Cole
3. G.McArdle
4. L.Howard

5. P.Murphy
6. L.Doyle
7. D.Rafferty

8. D.Gordon
9. A. Rodgers

10. R.Sexton
11. A.Carr
12. R.Murtagh

13. B.Coulter
14.J.Clarke
15. P.McComiskey

Options on the bench with Hughes, Walsh, J Boyle,Colgan, D.McCartan,Mcveigh and P.Downey

Colgan would be on but for the fact it wants to pick his own position
Keeps 'er' straight