Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosskarr

Fair point but Portugal was really taking the whole system out of the cold weather here and if the lads were part of the panel they should have travelled also.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: downredblack on January 11, 2008, 09:13:21 AM
For the sake of moral and unity in the camp I would of brought them , they could of got treatment away and still of been part of the trip . It's not as if these trips come up that often . We are always taking about needing leaders on the pitch, by all accounts Benny was a brilliant leader on and off the pitch when he was away with the IR team . Maybe the younger players would of benefited from being around such a player for  5 days . Who knows ? For the sake of another 4 or 5  tickets I would of brought the boys who will form the backbone of our team come the business end of the season . That's just my take on it anyway .

What age is Benny ...10...FFs anybody can go on a holiday now, they are a dime a dozen, very cheap. What is his problem...is he looking for an excuse...a leader my ass.

downredblack

Who said anything about a holiday ? I'm sure he can go on as many holidays as he wants . The trip was to go away as part of the Down set up, of which he is an integral part and for that reason IMHO he should of went . Anyway that's all I have on the subject . I've more to be worrying about .

thewobbler

Personally, I don't understand how taking along players who will never play Championship football, ahead of players who certainly will, could possibly be beneficial to Down football.

behind the wire

you are exactly right downredblack. wouldnt even bother arguing with max.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

miss mess

exactly, there are players there who went to portugal who will never see june with the county and the ususal people will be called upon to pull out all the stops i.e. who never set foot in portugal

redandblackjack

If all this talk is true (there are alot of shit stirrers around the county these days) it seems a few of the fellas who were not on the trip have thrown the toys outa the pram and are on the huff- says alot really about the type of player down have- more interested in trips away and all the other bullshit that they see going with representing our county. What were the injured fellas really going to do in Portugal? Stand about all day watching everyone else bust a gut- then maybe go for a few pints later when those who were training are beat in bed?! Maybe the reason for not taking the injured players was due to the trip obviously being paid for x number of players to go and the managers possibly saw it as a more purposeful exercise bringing 30 players who were able to train than 20(+) plus a number of injured players who could not participate.

Back to the football side of things? Team for Sunday? ps. good to hear abouta few of the down boys getting stuck in v tyrone, part of the teams problem is a few of the more senior players are too shy and nice about things- everyone else is at it- tyrone included.

downredblack

Who is the half back from longstone Mark or Barry Doran , what's the craic with him , was he asked along ? i know he was there for a while under POR and did rightly .

downredblack

In case any of you didn't see this ...

Down welcome back Doyle Gaelic Games
By Brendan Crossan
11/01/08

INJURY-PLAGUED Liam Doyle will make a return to Down colours this weekend after overcoming a serious ankle problem that ruled him out of the Mournemen's Championship challenge last year.
Down boss Ross Carr also revealed that his son, Aidan, will return from a stint in Australia at the end of the month and is expected to rejoin the panel.
Carr confirmed yesterday that Liatroim Fontenoys ace Doyle will play some part during Sunday's Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup group game against unbeaten UUJ in Newcastle.
"Liam deserves immense credit for his application during his recovery period," said Carr.
"He had to overcome a pretty horrific operation in terms of pain and recovery and now he's being rewarded for getting back to fitness. It's great news for Down people and for Liam himself for all the hard work he's put in and I'm sure that will be acknowledged by supporters on Sunday."
Carr said that the precocious 1999 All-Ireland minor winner has been "crucified by chronic" injuries that has hampered his senior career, but added that a fit Liam Doyle would
infinitely improve Down's chances this season.
Aidan Carr, who had an encouraging 2007 campaign for the Mournemen, will return home after six months away in America and Australia.
"Aidan left for America after Down went out of the Championship last summer," said Carr.
"He came home for a change of clothes and then went to Australia where he met up with Martin Clarke. So he'll be back at the end of the month and we'll see what shape he's in."
The Mournemen could also have London-based Michael Walsh
available this year, although his return to county colours has not been finalised.
"Michael is finishing off his degree in England and it's difficult in terms of logistics in him getting over and playing, but the door is shut on nobody," said the manager.
Carr also expects talismanic Benny Coulter to be back at the "end of the month" after physio treatment, while Damien Rafferty is
eyeing a return for the start of the National League.
Ambrose Rodgers is also ruled out of contention for the next few weeks with the Longstone midfielder heading to Dubai for a team holiday with his club.
An Riocht midfielder Peter Fitzpatrick, however, could miss the entire season with Carr estimating a four-to-six months recovery period. Stephen Kearney and Paul Murphy have also undergone ankle operations and will miss the start of the National League, aswill Daniel McCartan (hamstring) and Declan Rooney (shoulder).
Despite the absentees, Carr was remaining upbeat: "There's no point in crying about it. When a month passes hopefully things will be looking a lot brighter."
The 2005 All-Ireland minor winning captain James Colgan has also returned to the senior set-up after opting out last season due to study commitments. He made a cameo appearance near the end of UUJ's handsome win over Tyrone last weekend and is likely to play some part against his county mates in Newcastle this weekend.
Carr and DJ Kane's squad have just returned from a week-long training camp in Portugal. They were in action on Wednesday night against Tyrone in the McKenna Cup only to lose by 3-6 to 1-7. After facing Jordanstown, they round off their group games against Donegal next Wednesday in Newry's Pairc Esler.­

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: thewobbler on January 11, 2008, 11:13:09 AM
Personally, I don't understand how taking along players who will never play Championship football, ahead of players who certainly will, could possibly be beneficial to Down football.

The only way to find out if they might be able to play championship football or not is to give them a chance.
i usse an speelchekor

Bitta-Banter

I think we've established that Jackie Lynch shouldn't be obn the scene, but on Wednesday, Big Dan was no better..
The strongest team i think should be;

1. D Alder/ B McVeigh / K Murphy ( All very good)

2. Martin Cole (Rostrevor)/ Brendan Grant (Mayobridge)

3. G McArdle (Annaclone)/ D Rooney

4. Damien Rafferty (Shamrocks)

5. Ronan Murtagh (Ballyholland)

6. J Colgan (An Riocht)/ Paul Murphy (Ballyholland)

7. John Clarke (An Riocht)

8. Dan Gordon? (Loughinisland)/ P Turley (Saval)

9. Ambrose Rodgers (Longstone)

10. Liam Doyle (Liatroim)

11. Benny Coulter(Mayobridge)

12. Barry Doran(Longstone)

13. McComiskey(Dundrum)/Danny Hughes(Saval)

14. Micky Walsh(Mayobridge)

15. Conor Poland (Longstone)

My best team in my opinion, no Kevin McGuigan, Lynch, Packie Downie, Aidan Carr, James McGovern

whyarerefssobad

always look on the bright side

Pangurban

Doyle to return too action on Sunday, Carr returning soon from Australia, excuse me for not getting excited, this merely reflects the paucity of talent available to us at present

Mourne Rover

While I'm glad to see that we are at least looking at our options for the central defensive positions, there are a few problems with the most recent XV (Bitta-Banter). Murtagh was promising at wing back in the two Cavan games last summer, but poor against Cavan and dreadful against Meath. Unless his defensive qualities improve beyond recognition, he will have to move back up front. Murphy, Gordon Hughes and McComiskey are all certain starters if fit, and should not be in the `either-or' category, and it is difficult to believe that Sexton will be missing either.  The two Stone forwards are good club players, but Barry Doran needs to find extra pace while Mark - not Conor - Poland is gifted but probably too small for county level. We have not many options at full back, so McArdle deserves an extended run.

imagine

Murtagh was promising at wing back in the two Cavan games last summer, but poor against Cavan and dreadful against Meath
I presume you mean Monaghan.
I agree --a wing half forward only.