Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobbller

thewobbler
So anyone using the name Sean wouldn't tolerate others using Shaun? Pitiful that you jump into someone else's fight with a petty point like my use of the name wobbller.You should really take it as a compliment.

5 Sams

Quote from: Pangurban on January 10, 2008, 12:22:31 AM
A bit of off topic lads, but would anyone like to clarify the Co.Name as gaelige, is it officially An Duin or An Dun. The official Co website uses both versions

Pangur.

As Hardstation rightly says An Dún is the name of the county.

"An Dún" turns into "An Dúin" when there is another noun in front of it.

For example "Muintir an Dúin", "Contae an Dúin", "Foireann an Dúin", srl, srl.

You may have heard of the pain in the hole that is the "genitive case" in Irish. You have just been introduced to it!!
The Aristocrat Years

downredblack

Anyone at the game ? Did any of the new lads stand out ?

DownFanatic

Went up to the game last night. Hardly any Down support travelled which was a pity.
Ive been trying to look at the positives first and foremost.

+
- Alder looked confident under the high ball and distributed well when under pressure. The majority of his kickouts were also quite accurate.
- Ciaran McGovern is shaping up well in corner back and with a few more experienced defenders around him, should be able to cut it.
- Gary McArdle was impressive at full back. He gives his all and was always on his opponents ass.
- Danny Hughes is an excellent ball winner and won a host of possession. With improved delivery he could become one of our main playmakers.
- The 2nd half we played much better. I thought we moved the ball well. However it always seemed to break down 2/3rds up the pitch as our full forward line struggled to get space.
- The introduction of Ronan Murtagh and Colm Murney added a bit more physicality to our lineup. Something which we were severely lacking for most of the game.

-
- Too many players on view are simply not inter county standard. Yes, they may be very good club players but they were really found out again last night. Martin Rafferty (5), Kevin McGuigan (7), Jackie Lynch (9), Kevin McKernan (10), Packie Downey (14), Ryan Stranney (13) and Cathal Magee (Sub) are just below the mark. Stranney and Lynch have impressed me on occasion but last night they failed to live up to the task. Lynch is far too indecisive and not mobile enough while Stranney isnt strong enough.
- Very weak Full Forward line which didnt inspire the playmakers to use. Gribben was the best on show but Downey, Stranney and latterly Magee arent the type of attack line that are going to get many scores.
- No leaders. Murtagh looked to assume this task when he came on. Sexton and Hughes threatened at times to lead the charge but this never fully materialised. Gordon had a quiet day but we need more vocal players.
- Doyle and John Clarke were unused subs. Their introduction in the 2nd half may have turned the game.
- Too many over critical Down 'supporters' who simply turned up to barrack our players. There is no need for them. A bit of encouragement wouldnt go a miss.

Bascially we need our strongest possible 15 playing together as soon as possible. Otherwise we are going nowhere

thewobbler

DownFanatic - I see tyronnies on another thread are giving off about Down's physical approach. What was your opinion from a Down perspective?

DownFanatic

There were a few 'handbags' incidents. Colm Murney and Aidan McCarron started on each other midway through the 2nd half. Murney got the better off him. Both tumbled around on the ground for a while. However, I really didnt believe there was much in it. Both got yellows for their efforts.
Apart from that Rony Murtagh clipped Martin Penrose near the end of the game. Penrose went down like a sack of spuds but nothing came from it.
Actually when I think about there were quite a few incidents in which Down players used their fists off the ball. Jackie Lynch done a bit of skelping but then again thats part of his game. Again, it was mainly off the ball stuff.
To be honest some of the Down players did seem intent on negative stuff. McGovern tubed Cathal McCarron in the 1st half as far as I can remember.
From what I seen DJ seems quite proactive in encouraging this kind of stuff from the sideline.

thewobbler

That all sounds a bit worrying. Can a county manager in this day and age really find any merit in asking players to go a skelping?

Leo

Quote from: DownFanatic on January 10, 2008, 12:25:51 PM
Went up to the game last night. Hardly any Down support travelled which was a pity.
Ive been trying to look at the positives first and foremost.

+
- Alder looked confident under the high ball and distributed well when under pressure. The majority of his kickouts were also quite accurate.
- Ciaran McGovern is shaping up well in corner back and with a few more experienced defenders around him, should be able to cut it.
- Gary McArdle was impressive at full back. He gives his all and was always on his opponents ass.
- Danny Hughes is an excellent ball winner and won a host of possession. With improved delivery he could become one of our main playmakers.
- The 2nd half we played much better. I thought we moved the ball well. However it always seemed to break down 2/3rds up the pitch as our full forward line struggled to get space.
- The introduction of Ronan Murtagh and Colm Murney added a bit more physicality to our lineup. Something which we were severely lacking for most of the game.

-
- Too many players on view are simply not inter county standard. Yes, they may be very good club players but they were really found out again last night. Martin Rafferty (5), Kevin McGuigan (7), Jackie Lynch (9), Kevin McKernan (10), Packie Downey (14), Ryan Stranney (13) and Cathal Magee (Sub) are just below the mark. Stranney and Lynch have impressed me on occasion but last night they failed to live up to the task. Lynch is far too indecisive and not mobile enough while Stranney isnt strong enough.
- Very weak Full Forward line which didnt inspire the playmakers to use. Gribben was the best on show but Downey, Stranney and latterly Magee arent the type of attack line that are going to get many scores.
- No leaders. Murtagh looked to assume this task when he came on. Sexton and Hughes threatened at times to lead the charge but this never fully materialised. Gordon had a quiet day but we need more vocal players.
- Doyle and John Clarke were unused subs. Their introduction in the 2nd half may have turned the game.
- Too many over critical Down 'supporters' who simply turned up to barrack our players. There is no need for them. A bit of encouragement wouldnt go a miss.

Bascially we need our strongest possible 15 playing together as soon as possible. Otherwise we are going nowhere

After reading tis I almost feel I was at the game and that all my pre-conceptions about these players were proveen to be correct.

Thank you.
Fierce tame altogether

downredblack

Lads the team that played last night will bare little resemblance to our National League team , no need for panic yet . I'd be more concerned if there was anything in the rumour that Benny has walked .

No1

5ivetimes, I agree that the physical approach has been missing from our game for some time but there is a world of difference between a good hard tackle or a cynical foul to stop a near certain goal and hitting your opponent a clout off the ball.

Getting involved in off the ball bullshit contributes nothing to a player or team's performance.  Granted, there are times when you have to stand up for yourself but I would be worried if our boys were starting this shite.

As for Jackie Lynch, I think we'll agree to disagree  :D

dundrumite

Quote from: wobbller on January 10, 2008, 08:51:23 AM
Quote from: dundrumite on January 10, 2008, 12:17:28 AM
wasnt at the game but as a matter of interest how did the forward line perform. Although only seen him a couple of times, but I am of the opinion that John Clarke is the best option at full forward.Its Jordanstown this Sunday at Newcastle, then before Donegal. Have to agree with lisdoon1 et al wobbller is an asshole, an immature one at that.
     Dundrumite you might want to mind your own business.My point is that can these posters whoever they are not use one name only instead if all these alter-names to promote their point.

You also have some neck on you telling other people to mind their own business.So is 5ive times part of the now "4 posters in 1 bernie fanclub"? Probably not, just differing people with the same opinion.

downredblack

I'm not saying that those that played last night have no future with the Down panel , some might make the break through this year others might need a while longer and the experience of being away wont do them any harm . After all we need cover for every position ,which begs the question why is B. Grant not about the panel ?Fair enough if Ross & DJ don't rate him to start  but surely he is a good man with experience to call upon if we need him . I don't understand that one and wouldn't accept that he was the only problem with the Down defence over the last number of years .  I agree with you regarding Benny , Big Ambrose , Paul Murphy etc should of been brought away and the decision not to bring them seems to have caused some bad feeling which will hopefully be put to bed before the start of the league .

off the laces

Quote from: downredblack on January 10, 2008, 03:40:55 PM
.  I agree with you regarding Benny , Big Ambrose , Paul Murphy etc should of been brought away and the decision not to bring them seems to have caused some bad feeling which will hopefully be put to bed before the start of the league .

The trip away was a training week,there may have been team bonding going on, but that comes with the training pulling your teammates through etc. Benny et al where INJURED and therefore could not train, do you think it was not a better idea to let them stay and get their injuries looked at so we will benefit from their skills when the business end of the season kicks in!!!
Keeps 'er' straight

downredblack

For the sake of moral and unity in the camp I would of brought them , they could of got treatment away and still of been part of the trip . It's not as if these trips come up that often . We are always taking about needing leaders on the pitch, by all accounts Benny was a brilliant leader on and off the pitch when he was away with the IR team . Maybe the younger players would of benefited from being around such a player for  5 days . Who knows ? For the sake of another 4 or 5  tickets I would of brought the boys who will form the backbone of our team come the business end of the season . That's just my take on it anyway .

wobbller

It's time to make a stand on the bluffers.They'll bluff at this time of the year and then come May and June will be wondering to themselves "Why am I not playing well ?and Why I'm not fit to keep up with those little Tyrone men?
  Turf them out and get fit on their own and when ready come back if they want but toe the line like everyone else.