Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I'm pretty sure that Doyle started at 6 in the kids vs men qualifier against Armagh in 2001 or 2002. The one when Sean Ward gave Oisin something really worth writing about. To be honest though i couldn't tell you much else about that game.

Cloc Mor, I'd say that's an OTT analysis of Doyle. He may not have reached his potential, but I'd argue that a serious injury every other year has played a much bigger part in this than any fondness for booze. On that point, it is a side effect of living next door to craic lords like Geezer that in our county we seem to think that anything can be achieved in GAA with a monk's lifestyle. Let's be realistic, If Down's best XV did nothing but train 100% from now to May, they still wouldn't have as much chance of winning an All-Ireland as the Armagh team from the early 2000s did. Enjoying a drink might stop you from getting to the very top in our game, but ability will stop you long before it matters.

'Imagine', funnily enough, I agree with you condeming my language. But really, these people have to be taking the piss. We should be looking at playing defenders in defence, and as many as can possibly get away at that. The last thing we need is another forward back there. Actually, that's not true. The last thing we need is our best forward, our goal machine forward, back there. It's nothing short of ludicrous.

Lastly, re who should play full-back, I'd like to see fellas who actually play club full-back tried there first. Gary McArdle, Andrew Kane, Darren Cunningham (again). If none of those work out, then give young Howard a run at it. I've a feeling James Colgan could play there, but I'd imagine he doesn't. As for Paul Murphy, I'd be shocked if he has it in him to play there. His greatest strength as a player is his dynamism, and that's one of the last attributes you find in genuine full-backs.

Speaking of square pegs in round holes, Darren O'Hanlon was one of the most impressive players in Division II this season, playing either as a forward or an attacking midfielder. Yet it would seem already that at county level they want to play him in defence. This won't do anyone any favours. I know we need to find defenders, but you would never have picked him out as a county defender when he played defence for Ballymartin, so why do they reckon he is a defender now that he has shone as a forward? Same story with Clarke for the past five years, and Kevin McKernan will no doubt be the next to suffer.

Anyways, Happy Christmas to y'all.

Pangurban

Secondly, Liam Doyle peaked when he was 18 years of age.  He has done nothing since.  He is totally overrated and to put him at CHB would be a major mistake.  Based on his performances in the red and black, he doesn't deserve a place on the team.  Surely if he was fit, and stayed of the sauce, he would be an addition to the team.  He has been a passenger and was picked because of his reputation and potential.  Not good enough

Its true, the Emperor has no clothes

Cloc Mor

Wobbler, I feel you are being kind to Doyle be saying he was not reached his potential yet.  Managers have persevered with him yet, continually, his performances have been well below standard.  In regards to the drink, I have never advocated a 'monks life' for any county players but some do have issues and I believe that Doyle's performances on the field may be directly related to his lifestyle off it.

The Emperor must be cold in this weather, Pangurban, without any clothes!

thewobbler

Cloc Mor, the thing though is that Doyle hasn't disappointed anymore than anyone else in a Down shirt since 1999, and I'd even suggest he has been one of our better performers during that time. Yep, he has never reached the heights we all expected, but he's still been better than most of his teammates.

Cloc Mor

I really cant agree with you on that one, Wobbler.  Having seen alot of him for club and county I still feel he can do so much more.  When he 'takes the notion' to play football he really exerts himself, for his club anyway.  I have rarely seen this quality in the Down jersey recently and thats what disappoints me most. 

Wobbler, we'll soon be talking about him and his team mates who have done nothing since '99.  How depressing is that?

Mourne Rover

Wobbler, you are quite right. Doyle did play CHB against Armagh at Casement in 2001, but we were beaten so comprehensively that day it would be hard to judge anyone. He needs to play three or four games in the position before he can be assessed. It is very easy for someone like Cloc Mor to write him off, but there is not the slightest sign of an alternative for the position. Come on Cloc Mor, give us your suggestion for the no 6 jersey.

amallon

Benny played in nets for the Bridge against Saval in a friendly game a few years ago.  He saved a penalty and kept soling the ball out of defence selling dummies and taking 1-2's.  He probably would be quite effective in nets or full back but I think it would be a bit of a waste.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: whyarerefssobad on December 21, 2007, 01:01:38 PM
Benny played defence for mayobridge minors so it would not be new to him its worth a try nothing ventured nothing gained

He was a midfielder for Mayobridge minors.

If I were in charge, he'd be a half forward that would be directly competing for kickouts. Or a full forward pulled out to play as a half forward (so he wouldn't have to worry about tracking back too much).
i usse an speelchekor

Square Ball

FFS let him manage as well, take the team talks, take the kick outs to himself and everything else as well.

where would he want to play if asked?

Personally I think he would be a better half forward, great running with he ball and accurate to boot
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

whyarerefssobad

think you will find he played four years for the bridge minors and at least one off them in defence
always look on the bright side

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: whyarerefssobad on December 24, 2007, 04:34:17 PM
think you will find he played four years for the bridge minors and at least one off them in defence

Must have been his earlier years, cos everytime we played them he was midfield.
i usse an speelchekor

Bitta-Banter

This is off the subject, but does anyone think that the new Down year books are of poor quality? Mine has fallen to pieces and ive had it 2 weeks!

whyarerefssobad

always look on the bright side

Pangurban

Re Down Yearbooks, quality poor and content unimaginative, sad to report this as it is an area where we usually do well.Llke the rest of the Co.affairs, needs a shake up

Mourne Rover

Happy Christmas to all Down supporters, including Cloc Mor, who is obviously taking a little time to collect his thoughts on who should play at CHB for us, if Liam Doyle does not merit even a league game or two there in 2008. Perhaps Doyle never will deliver on on his full  potential, but it is a little harsh to suggest he has done "nothing" since 1999. He was the official MoM in the UUJ 2001 Sigerson winning team and scored a wonder goal against Tyrone in the 2003 Ulster senior final. His form has been up and down since then, and his injuries have been been well documented, but the suggestion here is that he deserves a run in what most Down supporters regard as his best position so we can at least make up our minds. I have no interest in his social life, but I am fairly confident that a number of double AI winners from 91 and 94 enjoyed the odd night out. Perhaps Cloc Mor knows better ...