Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Have hammered Roscommon(17) UUJ (12) Queens (9)

Some turnaround

redandblackareback

Quote from: downtothecore on December 24, 2022, 06:37:31 PM
He had a good of success with club so if that's what it takes to get us competitive then keep ere lit.
Why what club did he manage?

As for getting us competitive... I would like to think in a division that consists of Antrim, Fermanagh, Longford, Offaly and a poor Tipp team who have lost 4 of the best players we would be aiming for something a little more than competitive.

downtothecore

What are you expecting?. Dont forget we didnt win a game in 2022 and we havent won anything in almost 30 years so we are in no position to think we should walk this league...

Sandstorm

God help Laverty with a load of jealous begrudgers trying to set him up for a fall. Do you forget that your County did not win a game this year, not even a challenge game including the might of London. Lotto let's know all these counties who have not played a challenge game yet. You'll have a problem  getting to 5 I can tell you. Redandblackon management's back, you don't want your county to succeed, you want your management to fail.  God help them and save them from the snipers and snakes.

redandblackareback

Quote from: Sandstorm on December 25, 2022, 12:14:24 AM
God help Laverty with a load of jealous begrudgers trying to set him up for a fall. Do you forget that your County did not win a game this year, not even a challenge game including the might of London. Lotto let's know all these counties who have not played a challenge game yet. You'll have a problem  getting to 5 I can tell you. Redandblackon management's back, you don't want your county to succeed, you want your management to fail.  God help them and save them from the snipers and snakes.
For someone who originally claimed not to be from Down Sandstorm you seem very passionate about the county. The constant pro Kilcoo posts are a bit of a giveaway.

As regards setting him up for a fall?? Explain?? We have been training 5 days a week since the start of October with KN and EOS pumping thousands into the set up, there are no excuses for not beating those sides mentioned above! As Smurfy mentioned, we have been hammering teams even without your kilcoo men. James & Co didn't get going until December last year and were doomed to fail from day one.

If you go back to last summer and beyond you will see from my posts I don't believe anyone within Down is good enough to manage us, we should have fired the 120k + our current management team is getting at Malachy O'Rourke.

downtothecore

I doubt MOR would have any interest in down regardless of the ridiculous offer mentioned.  He is currently in a setup that has had good underage success and is now achieving a senior level. Down have Fk all to show at underage except or for u20s ulster title... managed by lavery.

Hard2Listen2

Is Pat Flannagan in the running for any jobs in Down?

Short term only!

Verticalball

Merry Christmas to all. I enjoy following this forum to keep up to date with things, however I can't believe that people are already trying to drag the new manager down. Roscommon wiped the floor with Down in Div2 last year and while it is only a challenge game, a 15 point win over the same opposition is very encouraging. Monaghan and Donegal struggled to attract a manager and both counties would bite your hand off to have Laverty in charge rather than what they have ended up with. For the first time in a long time there seems to be a lot of positivity in general about how the county setup is going, so maybe some people should put the anti-Kilcoo bias to one side and stop moaning.

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: Verticalball on December 26, 2022, 01:05:17 AM
Merry Christmas to all. I enjoy following this forum to keep up to date with things, however I can't believe that people are already trying to drag the new manager down. Roscommon wiped the floor with Down in Div2 last year and while it is only a challenge game, a 15 point win over the same opposition is very encouraging. Monaghan and Donegal struggled to attract a manager and both counties would bite your hand off to have Laverty in charge rather than what they have ended up with. For the first time in a long time there seems to be a lot of positivity in general about how the county setup is going, so maybe some people should put the anti-Kilcoo bias to one side and stop moaning.

Are you delusional? Did the Monaghan players not road Laverty when he was there a couple of years ago? And you think they would love to have them manage them instead of Vinny Corey who is one of the most widely respected figures in Monaghan football this last 10 years? Catch a grip. The pedestal Laverty is put on brinks on hysteria sometimes.
Whether you like it or not, bar one season with Down 20s, Conor Laverty and alot of the men involved with our county teams this season are hugely inexperienced or unproven when it comes to management and coaching, especially at any representative level. Some of these guys haven't even club experience to call upon. There will be detractors galore and knives sharpened everywhere for Laverty for many reasons. It comes with the territory.
Quit wetting your knickers over challenge matches in December ffs.

Smurfy123

Brick you have some opinion of yourself
Laverty has probably done more in 1 year than you ever will
A wee fat bloke sitting on a chair
I would say you never kicked a ball in your life

DuffGael

Let's see how Down get on. If most of the top players commit to the county then Div. 3 title should be a realistic goal, that puts us back in the race for Sam . Let's see from there. Too many here seem to want the county to fail, why? If your from Down then surely you want them to do well.
The standard of club football is excellent but we do have a lack of experience at county level so Div. 3 seems good for that, if we can find a real scorer plus get Quinn back then there is real potential in 18 months plus

Lloyd p

Anyone have a list of the full McKenna cup panel?

redandblackareback

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 02, 2022, 07:50:24 PM
As bad as the 20s were today what is going on with the 17s
We are at the minute a laughing stock
Laverty looked lost today
Monaghan looked lost when he was over them
We looked lost against Roscommon in the semi final

The 20s had a dream route last year
Fermanagh
Cavan
Monaghan

No Donegal
No Tyrone
No Derry
Smurfy no need for personal insults, Brick is actually spot on with all of that and you would agree with him based on your post last year. Lavertys time with Monaghan was a failure, couldn't win a home match v Cavan in the championship and was roaded. The following season the same Monaghan got to within a point of an all Ireland final without him. He hasn't won one championship match as a manager with a club or county at senior level. His Kilcoo pal O'Hanlon in to manage the U20s is another disgrace and our county board should be stepping in. People are well within they're rights to have doubts but we should have enough talent to get out of Division 3. 

downtothecore

My goodness, what a state we are in......Just to add further to above the previous u17 management never won a game in their 2 years and previous senior management never won a game last year and the county board never stepped in as the good men took decison to move on.   But sure goodluck to Lavery and Darragh in 2023.

thewobbler

Lol. Last year it was the QUB Clique destroying Down football to satisfy their own unknown but sadistic needs. This year it's a Kilcoo Cabal hell bent on taking us apart from within.

You lads need to stop overthinking things.