Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnysboys

Each club should have t have at least two refs to cover games, if they don't then they should not be allowed to compete.
[/quote]

My god such drivel. Clubs trying to get coaches/mentors/people to do the gate/make tea etc and these jobs are not that attractive at times - now u insist they must have not one but two referees per club.. with the amount of abuse referees get from people - there wud be absolutely no hope of this happening.
Another poster did the very very very obvious and talk crap about us taking a lead out of rugby referees in terms of respect.
The abuse shouted at referees from the crowd, mentors and players is ridiculous.. How do we simply stop that and all of a sudden gain respect for them?? Having been at two division one games this week - supporters are not wise. The top 2 things referees hear are prob these:

The second a player gets the ball - the opposition support shout too long
Every foul - at least one person shouts black card

If the general public/mentors and players were 100% up to date with the rules of the game they would see that these two things and many many other decisions are not far off the mark in terms of the rules of the game. I agree there are serious issues with consistency among referees - but they are human at the end of the day.

thewobbler

It's not an ignorance of the rules. Never was, never is.

For some it's an attempt to influence the referee. For most, it's just monkey see, monkey do.

The problem is cultural. These louder supporters don't actually want fair and neutral referees. They want a referee to give everything in their favour.

It's vile.

No1

6 Sams, no argument that it's a fair point but yer man is a bullshit artist. Just look at some of the threads he has started. When questioned about his club (if he even has one) he goes dark.

Anyway, good luck to the seniors tomorrow. First time in 30 years I couldn't be arsed going.

snoopdog

Good luck to Down today in Clones. As previous poster said first time in neqrly 40 years I won't be at the 1st round of ulster when I'm in the country. Just don't justify the waste of time diesel and money to follow the sham of a year we have had. Just total Apathy towards this game. With q bit of luck those on the panel will learn something today and go again in the tailteann

SamFever

I'm on a roll after our win last night so going to go.I'll probably regret it.

6th sam

Working , so won't get a chance to go, but hoping for a good performance after a challenging league campaign . We have to be realistic about where we are, just looking a few shoots of progress emerging

wobbller

You can't beat the free state pints before and after a game.We have a driver for Clones.

SamFever

Ryan Magill listed at No.5.Where did that come from?

snoopdog

Ed Hardy

Mooney, ,Guinness and Havern dropped?

befair

This is even worse than I had feared

Mourne Red

Diabolical some of the more experienced members of the panel walking/jogging like its a Park Run on a Sunday morning

snoopdog

No surprise with the result. 23 scores to 9 says it all. Div 1 v Div3 the league doesn't lie. Some of the passing and shot selection was very poor. Maybe they can build and go on a run I  the Tailteann wort giving it a go. 

WT4E

Quote from: Mourne Red on April 30, 2022, 05:19:32 PM
Diabolical some of the more experienced members of the panel walking/jogging like its a Park Run on a Sunday morning

Park runs are on saturdays

Johnnysboys

Poor today - basic skills were poor - conditions were not good for either team but picking the ball up, basic catches etc were a mile off.
I didn't  like when a player was taken off he shakes his head and then doesn't shake the managers hand walking past. He was booked and had just committed a foul with a late tackle and dropped on the player - of course he had to be subbed before he was sent off. Then the young Ballyholland man gets two quick yellows. Frustrating..