Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manwithnoplan

Quote from: SHEEDY on February 05, 2022, 09:03:28 PM
Improved performance tonight against a Galway side who are a level above most of the teams in Division 2. Ultimately it's the games against Meath, Clare and Offaly which will determine Downs status a division 2 team. Hopefully a few of the Kilcoo boys will have joined up by that stage.
Though McMahon had a good game in nets, McElroy was solid, Barry was always a threat and Gilmore continues to look promising. It's tough when you're losing games but thought there was at least some signs of better things to come.

Yes, agree with this. Galway are a very good side and will be aiming to win the division, Down will be looking to stay in the division. Some decent showings and no shortage of hard work. Gilmore looks like he really wants to nail down a spot and isn't afraid to take players on. Maybe does it a little too much but that's just his lack of intercounty experience showing, but he always looks a threat. Barry O'Hagan superb at times, and some flashes of Kerr's quality too. McElroy is also settling in well and is one solid and athletic lad. No point being negative, Down are starting from scratch but Div 2 experience will be good for these lads and we'd hope for a couple of wins against the teams you mentioned.

mourneman9194

I'd be quietly optimistic of a result against Meath in the next outing. 2 weeks preparation for it so I really hope it gives some of the lads a chance to get back up to speed.

Johnnysboys

Was I watching a different game?? How did yas think McMahon had a good game?? Kickouts led directly to 4 scores. Booming the ball to midfield is not really a strategy even though we won a few more breaks than normal.
After watching all division one teams now and seeing Galway and Derry in division 2 - we are absolutely miles off competing. Would we not be safer in the second tier competition and rebuild with some young lads and get back to the top table that way??

urbangael

I honestly didn't think anyone for Down played well. O'Hagen done OK. Few frees and simple points from play. He stills spills a lot of ball and shoots from crazy angles. Can't fault his effort but I could name 15 better forwards in Ulster alone. Young McIlroy was given the round around IMO and made a lot of fouls. One great block but I honestly don't see what everyone else sees. I think relegation is very likely even with just 2 games gone. Really hope they prove me wrong.

SHEEDY

Quote from: urbangael on February 05, 2022, 10:36:25 PM
I honestly didn't think anyone for Down played well. O'Hagen done OK. Few frees and simple points from play. He stills spills a lot of ball and shoots from crazy angles. Can't fault his effort but I could name 15 better forwards in Ulster alone. Young McIlroy was given the round around IMO and made a lot of fouls. One great block but I honestly don't see what everyone else sees. I think relegation is very likely even with just 2 games gone. Really hope they prove me wrong.
these 15 better forwards you could name, are many of them from Down? We have to work with players we have. Barry is a top player. Fionn McIlroy was marking one of the top players in Ireland and did a decent job, he's a promising full back.
nil satis nisi optimum

urbangael

The 3 Johnstons and young Doherty from kilcoo for a start. Probably 5 of the Tyrone forwards, a couple from Derry 3 each from Armagh and Donegal. It's just a reality that Down don't have the raw materials to be challenging on any front. The Galway full forward hit 1.2 from play of McIlroy and Finn also gave away a few frees. He was rightly roasted in fairness.

upandwin

Quote from: Johnnysboys on February 05, 2022, 10:27:50 PM
Was I watching a different game?? How did yas think McMahon had a good game?? Kickouts led directly to 4 scores. Booming the ball to midfield is not really a strategy even though we won a few more breaks than normal.
After watching all division one teams now and seeing Galway and Derry in division 2 - we are absolutely miles off competing. Would we not be safer in the second tier competition and rebuild with some young lads and get back to the top table that way??

I thought he did well overall tbh, one of only a handful that played ok. Absolutely zero movement out the field from kickouts and he picked out some brilliant options in a tough wind. Solid under high ball too and a decent save at the end even though the game was lost at that stage, massive improvement on what I watched against Derry. Think his kicking led to two pts against and definitely got 3/4pts for us from our kickouts retained. You're a point man Jonny so maybe you have an issue with him. On the whole though I thought Down had some great moments and were well in top at the start of the second half but ran out of steam when Galway slowed the tempo down and killed the momentum, showing their experience coming through. They managed the game far better than us but hopefully the Kilcoo lads can add some quality and I'd imagine 3/4 of them will come straight in to the team. I'd be hopeful Kane, McEvoy and the Johnstons would all commit and maybe Miceal Rooney and Ward. Ask them all I think and see who fancies it!

manwithnoplan

Quote from: urbangael on February 05, 2022, 11:18:57 PM
The 3 Johnstons and young Doherty from kilcoo for a start. Probably 5 of the Tyrone forwards, a couple from Derry 3 each from Armagh and Donegal. It's just a reality that Down don't have the raw materials to be challenging on any front. The Galway full forward hit 1.2 from play of McIlroy and Finn also gave away a few frees. He was rightly roasted in fairness.

So you can't name these 15 players then. Thanks.

Smurfy123

Well done to Kilcoo
A brilliant team and long may it continue
Down were very poor last week but were worse tonight
Galway looked like they were in
2nd gear and still had the match won at half time
Young McIlroy looked so far off the pace it was frightening
I would be amazed if we beat Meath
What has happened Mooney?
Gary Mac done well in goals

urbangael

Myler McGeary Sludden mccurry mcshane cassidy mcguigan 2 ONeills Mcgrogan Murphy Mcbrearty langan plus the 4 kilcoo lads I named. Also think Kerr and Quinn from Down are better. Put your wee dummy back in. It's a discussion board. Barry has been OK my point is if you're pinning hopes on him as our best stellar forward we are so far off the pace and genuinely won't be challenging for any honours.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: urbangael on February 06, 2022, 07:57:13 AM

Myler McGeary Sludden mccurry mcshane cassidy mcguigan 2 ONeills Mcgrogan Murphy Mcbrearty langan plus the 4 kilcoo lads I named. Also think Kerr and Quinn from Down are better. Put your wee dummy back in. It's a discussion board. Barry has been OK my point is if you're pinning hopes on him as our best stellar forward we are so far off the pace and genuinely won't be challenging for any honours.

Never said he would lead Down to winning trophies, but he performed quite well and I appreciate the quality and efforts of some of these players given the difficult start to the year regarding the management appointments, and the fact that there is a rebuilding job to be done. Your childish dummy comment was pointless, moreso when you then acknowledged it's a discussion board. And yes, those players you named are all top class and more experienced, and have benefited from better structures over a number of years which I hope we can eventually see in Down.

urbangael

You've raised a valid point in fairness. One well covered in this forum.... The inept Co Board. Can't see any changes in the short to medium term.

snoopdog

We all know Down are a long way off and taking 5 months to get a new manager in , a manager who didn't really want the job leaves us way behind. I would be hoping more that laverty and Clarke will be the guys to start to turn things around after another couple of years at the u20s. I'm always impressed by how both talk about the game. Down need the Kilcoo men and I'm hoping they win the All Ireland next week and then turn their eyes to Down . Our fwds are very aimless at times running Into trouble then giving the ball away.  We were best last night when we ran quicky with the ball got into trouble when slowing up. The quick ball into O'Hagan at start of 2nd half worked. We need to use the fwd mark, is shane Harrison still an option?. A steady settled squad is also key. Any players make debut last night or we still at 83 players since 2017? How Paddy Tally was expected to succeed with that turnover.

Blowitupref

How many Kilcoo players will be starters for Down this year and will they be available for round 3 or given an extra week off?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Ed Hardy

I don't think many are surprised that Down started with 2 defeats given the late appointment of manager and we've faced 2 of the stronger teams in the division, the 2 weeks break has came at a good time, hopefully we'll see Laverty, Quinn and Guinness back for the Meath game and a host from Kilcoo (all Ireland champs all being well) the squad will be strengthened considerably then.