Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuan12

Win with humility lose with dignity, bit of a shambolic ending to a game we should have won , some poor decisions taken in front of goal but there were a lot of positives, management should be asked to stay for a couple of seasons , something similar for u17 s and we just might develop a senior team capable of competing for silverware, congrats to management and team.

Dubh driocht

Yep it was bitterly disappointing after the highs of the Athletic Grounds. Both players and management will know that game was there for the taking. We panicked too soon but hopefully will learn from it; my only criticism is that we don't need the theatrical protestations of innocence when both red cards were clear. If you give it out you've got to take it; That's one cynical importation from other counties we can do without.

Anyway, good to have an Ulster title for the first time in 12 years and well done to all the players and management for a serious commitment of time and effort.

befair

Great to have an Ulster title, but the petulance at the end really let us down; these lads will encounter many disappointments in life, and losing a football match will be the least of these. It also sets a bad example to younger players.

SHEEDY

Quote from: befair on August 08, 2021, 04:15:02 PM
Great to have an Ulster title, but the petulance at the end really let us down; these lads will encounter many disappointments in life, and losing a football match will be the least of these. It also sets a bad example to younger players.
jeeesus, have a day off ffs. The stuff at the end was nothing more than handbags. Young fellas full of frustration pushing and squaring up to each.other. You see it every week, doesn't make it right but to go on about setting a bad example and bigger disappointments in life, talk about an overreaction. Seems like some posters look for any excuse to have a go.
nil satis nisi optimum

redandblackareback

You are right Sheedy, it happens every week, every week in Kilcoo, eye gouging an opponent is up there with spitting, the lowest of the low but is anyone really that surprised with this carry on. The player in question, and his manager and his club have plenty of history and it just seems to happen all too often. Thought it would have taken till at least the club championship for the mask to slip but it only took a week.

terrifictommy

Wow. Just wow. One Kilcoo player was rash with that challenge. The card could well have been yellow at the same time. The other was a Clonduff player so how Kilcoo get the rap is beyond me. I'm tears of the actual game, couple of key decisions cost them, not sure any sub contributed more than those they replaced.
I don't buy they are young lads who are disappointed, they've been playing club senior for a few years so have plenty of experience. There's always a way to show your class, even in defeat.

Truth hurts

It was a disappointing end to a great campaign and everyone involved should be proud. Young lads were emotive at the end and things like that happen but the eye incident which was caught twice on camera looked really nasty and I hope the young lad in question would have apologized to the Roscommon players as that could have a serious implication on a football field, football is not as important as that and we need to ensure every kid knows that.
There is a big step up from u20 to senior but there are a few there that have serious potential and  Conor and his team are the men to steer the young lads to get to senior level.

On the club front:

Division 1- It is no surprise to see the pace setters at this early stage, Clonduff is still unbeaten and they knocked Kilcoo out of premier reserve champ which will give the squad huge confidence. Rostrevor and Byransford have made poor starts with both playing each other this weekend.

Divison 2-  I can see RGU going through the league unbeaten,  the remaining spot to be the Kingdom or Longstone.

Divison 3-  Looks to be a few covid concedes but it is going to be so tight for the two promotion spots with a good few teams in contention. Shamrocks and Liatriom would be favorites.

Divison 4- Bright looking strong but again there are a few teams still in with a shout. It looks that Newry Mitchells have gone to the sword, that's very sad but with no underage structure in place it was inevitable. Newry has much more potential for Gaelic games and there should be a games development officer specifically for Newry City. Massive potential.

thebuzz

Down should have definitely won the match and will view it as one that got away. I was sure at 1-9 to 1-6 that they had it. Couldn't believe it when they got beat.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: thebuzz on August 09, 2021, 10:24:51 AM
Down should have definitely won the match and will view it as one that got away. I was sure at 1-9 to 1-6 that they had it. Couldn't believe it when they got beat.

The goal just before half time was the platform to kick on however Down never did. A mere three points in the 2nd half and two of them from frees was never going to be enough to win All Ireland semi final.

Was achievement in itself for Down to win Ulster, the antics late on was not pretty, I understand the frustration young lads would have when they knew the match was lost but there is no excuse for what Sean Óg Cusker did.

upandwin

Great start to the Div1 league, some really intriguing games. Massive gulf between the top 4/5 and the rest. Clonduff, Kilcoo, CPN and Burren to fight it out as expected...though Mayobridge will feel like they can close the gap. I've seen most teams at this stage and can't see too much for Kilcoo to be concerned about...though maybe with the U20s coming back in they'll be a big help to certain clubs. Few Burren people I have spoken to reckon young Murdock will be the missing link to win them a championship this year....

Rostrevor seem to be in bad difficulty now, have they lost players this year or is this just their level now? To score 4pts in a league game is not like them...even if it is against Kilcoo. Bryansford going in the same way, they seem to be in real trouble...

Is there any chance of an upset in the Championship this year or will Kilcoo coast to another title? Hard to see anyone stopping them in their tracks...

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on August 09, 2021, 11:09:15 AM
Great start to the Div1 league, some really intriguing games. Massive gulf between the top 4/5 and the rest. Clonduff, Kilcoo, CPN and Burren to fight it out as expected...though Mayobridge will feel like they can close the gap. I've seen most teams at this stage and can't see too much for Kilcoo to be concerned about...though maybe with the U20s coming back in they'll be a big help to certain clubs. Few Burren people I have spoken to reckon young Murdock will be the missing link to win them a championship this year....

Rostrevor seem to be in bad difficulty now, have they lost players this year or is this just their level now? To score 4pts in a league game is not like them...even if it is against Kilcoo. Bryansford going in the same way, they seem to be in real trouble...

Is there any chance of an upset in the Championship this year or will Kilcoo coast to another title? Hard to see anyone stopping them in their tracks...

I think the u20s will be a massive help to some clubs especially Clonduff and Burren.

Will McGovern play with the Harps or is that him away back to soccer?

From what I have seen it will Kilcoo to lose but a lot will fancy themselves, Top 5 are away ahead . Kilcoo, Burren, CPN, Mayobridge, Clonduff

johnnycool

Quote from: thebuzz on August 09, 2021, 10:24:51 AM

Down the better team but Roscommon had two of the standout players, the number 3 and the big midfielder who kept battling away until the end and got their rewards.
Some selfish decision making and just bad luck, hitting the crossbar and the angle in the second half cost Down but with the three point lead Roscommon always threatened to close it and duly did. Down had no kick left once Roscommon took the lead.
Tired legs and tired minds.

upandwin

What is the story with Clonduff team? Watched Point game and Clonduff on Friday and the yellas were the better team. Strange one though because after 20mins they emptied the bench bringing on Three O'Hagans, Ryan Brannigan and Stephen McConville...and they have two U-20s to come in as well which can only help...they just never seem to do it on the big day against Burren or Kilcoo...

Can they finally take things to the next level or will they fall away? They have so many good forwards but their defence is leaky...If the draw keep the big teams apart for the first two rounds then we could have a cracking knockout stage ahead :)

elk

Quote from: upandwin on August 09, 2021, 11:38:56 AM
What is the story with Clonduff team? Watched Point game and Clonduff on Friday and the yellas were the better team. Strange one though because after 20mins they emptied the bench bringing on Three O'Hagans, Ryan Brannigan and Stephen McConville...and they have two U-20s to come in as well which can only help...they just never seem to do it on the big day against Burren or Kilcoo...

Can they finally take things to the next level or will they fall away? They have so many good forwards but their defence is leaky...If the draw keep the big teams apart for the first two rounds then we could have a cracking knockout stage ahead :)
Didn't think there was a lot between them but clonduff seemed more up for it, a good draw for the Point considering they were missing 4 or 5 lads who would normally be starting. Agree with previous posters could be a tight championship this year if the better teams avoid each other in the early rounds

SuperRed

Was at Rostrevor/Kilcoo on Friday night - Reds are missing quite a few players in different areas of the pitch for a number of reasons and fielded a reasonably unfamiliar side. Dylan Ward picked up a nasty enough injury very early in the game, but the Magpies have so many options and seem to be motoring along well. Kilcoo rested the Johnstons and othrrs and Aaron Brannigan, PD were unavailable etc - so they gave a number of players a good workout on a miserable enough night. At the current rate of going, there are a few teams that would be happy enough with no relegation this season and Rostrevor look like a dry run in Division One before a potential scrap next season could do them the world of good... From their point of view, you would hope they would have closer to their full hand then, but they are missing a hosy of players at the moment (of course, other teams miss players at different times and it's even happening at the minute in some teams, but Rostrevor are definitely up there with the worst in that regard when you look at it)