Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: befair on April 09, 2020, 01:27:24 AM
I was in the Canal End also; Cork were there for the taking, but our kick-out strategy was disastrous.  The management didn't respond, instead made foolish changes in the forward line.

Yep totally agree. You could see it unfolding. But the management failed miserably in that 2nd half. And our knockout strategy is still non existent. I always thought Dan Gordon should've been moved out to midfield to at least try and win ball. Cork ruled midfield in that 2nd half winning frees and tapping them over. I have never watched that game over again I didn't even watch the sunday game that night. I often wonder if wee james had kept the management team in place would they have been more competitive in the following few  years.That was an all ireland thrown away in my opinion.

whitegoodman

I don't think he could keep the same management team in place.  I think there were fundamental disagreements in that second half along the line as to who to bring off and when and I think some decisions were made without the approval of James, the taking off of McComiskey and bringing on of Brannigan spring to mind.

ardtole

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 08, 2020, 05:58:07 PM
Quote from: ardtole on April 08, 2020, 05:50:40 PM
Surely if you count Gregory McCartan as a Ballymartin man (his original club), you have to count Blaney as a Ballycran man (his original club).

Big Greg was playing for Ballymartin when Down won the All Irelands.

Wee Greg was playing for Carryduff when Down won the All Irelands.

Hardly unreasonable to have Ballymartin & Carryduff.

Personally, I'd consider Blaney a Ballycran man. If anything I shouldn't have included Greg McCartan as a Castlewellan club man.

Smurfy123

Anyone else going to take a stab at best team from 90
91/94 team would dominate all positions with 1/2 maybe
Leaving out Brian Burns doesn't sound right

ardtole

N Collins
D O'Hagan/Rafferty close 2nd
Deegan
P Higgins
D.j Kane
B Breen
E Burns
D Gordon
G McCartan
M Clarke
G Blaney
R Carr
M Linden
B Coulter
J McCartan

ardtole

Darragh OHanlon looked likely to squeeze in only for injuries and maybe Mooney if same question asked in 3 or 4 years time.

Ed Hardy

Anyone care to pick their best 15 of players currently playing club football in Down? Or even fellas that are in abroad. Be interesting to see the team we could have if all we're available.

Ed Hardy

I think that would be decent 15.

M Cunningham
A Branagan
G McGovern
D O Hagan
D Branagan
D O Hanlon
J Guinness
A Doherty
N Donnelly
S Miller
O McCabe
C Mooney
D O Hare
C Harrison
R Johnson

whitegoodman

Not bad, great defence, just a pity 4 of them currently are not available.  Who knows if Darragh will ever be the same after 2 very serious injuries.

Feels like you are missing someone in forward line put cant put my finger on who. 

Maybe Niall McParland at 6 or midfield.

johnnycool

Quote from: ardtole on April 09, 2020, 10:26:50 AM
Surely if you count Gregory McCartan as a Ballymartin man (his original club), you have to count Blaney as a Ballycran man (his original club).

Personally, I'd consider Blaney a Ballycran man. If anything I shouldn't have included Greg McCartan as a Castlewellan club man.

Greg did play football for Ballycran in his latter years when they tried to play both for a while.
Some course Christians playing along with a lad with two AI medals in his arse pocket.

Ed Hardy

Quote from: whitegoodman on April 09, 2020, 08:19:01 PM
Not bad, great defence, just a pity 4 of them currently are not available.  Who knows if Darragh will ever be the same after 2 very serious injuries.

Feels like you are missing someone in forward line put cant put my finger on who. 

Maybe Niall McParland at 6 or midfield.

Completely forgot about McParland, id play him beside Donnelly in MF then.

ardtole

Liam Kerr has probably shown enough to edge out Johnson and Corey Quinn looks promising as well.

Ed Hardy

Quote from: ardtole on April 10, 2020, 08:31:06 AM
Liam Kerr has probably shown enough to edge out Johnson and Corey Quinn looks promising as well.
Would be a great bench, very  little between Kerr, Quinn, R J and O Hare.

DuffGael

Quote from: johnnycool on April 09, 2020, 09:14:11 PM
Quote from: ardtole on April 09, 2020, 10:26:50 AM

Greg did play football for Ballycran in his latter years when they tried to play both for a while.
Some course Christians playing along with a lad with two AI medals in his arse pocket.

Greg played for BallycrN in 91

DuffGael

Quote from: ardtole on April 10, 2020, 08:31:06 AM
Kerr is a fantastic talent but has only played a couple of league games,  if he keeps progressing he will be a legend but ATM he shouldn't be considered for this