Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackjack

Surely the clubs will be consulted and given their say on a matter such as this or would the CB press ahead and make their own decision? Don't see the need for Armagh to use the Marshes except for an evening game anyway, cross manages ok for their Sunday league games does it not? Drove past Armaghs 'theatre of shite' the other day in Armagh City- there was terracing behind the goals which looked pretty new- would this have been recent? They seem to have cocked up big time there.

Mourne Rover

Esler Park is now one of the best grounds in Ireland, and we should take it as a huge compliment when other counties want to use it. Let's say, for example, Tyrone draw Meath in a final football qualifier this summer, or possibly Antrim get Dublin in the AI hurling play-offs.
Newry would be the obvious venue for those type of fixtures, so are we supposed to tell the GAC to get stuffed ? An additional crowd of 15,000 or even 20,000 people would be great for the economy in Newry and bring our county board a few very handy cheques.

Allowing Armagh to play their home league games there amounts to exactly the same thing. The ban mentality should be long gone by now. If we were crazy enough to turn away Armagh senior footballers, what about the players from the same county who make up at least half the squads from St Colman's and the Abbey ? Are we really going to put these schools on the black list for Park Esler as well ?

We have a fantastic facility at the Marshes which will put Down back in the spotlight and earn us some decent money as well. It's a little hard to believe that any GAA person could see all this as a threat to our county.

the milkman

Dont think Armagh should be allowed near Park Esler!

Whitehair

The ground seemed greasy at the match today with players slipping regulary in what was a dry day and a dry October. I'd say if senior teams were playing on the ground every week during the winter the pitch would be a mess come the end of the NFL. Clubs are still supposed to be paying £70 a month for Pairc Esler with at least 1 club refusing to pay it on the basis that they always get put on th back pitch when they'v a fixture at the venue. I'd say the fewer games on the ground during the wet months the better and let Down men from all over the county play on it come spring/summer!

thewobbler

The reason players slip on Esler's surface is not because of the surface, but because they choose the wrong boot. When you walk on the grass, it is in such good condition it seems like it would take a mouldie. Wearing mouldies in November though is just a mistake.

KIDDO

The condition of the pitch may be one aspect ,but what about thetraffic jams in Newry  on any Sunday ,  crazy place to hold a game , only 3500 spectators were listed as attending this afternoons game , but it took a long time to exit Newry this afternoon ,  it will certainly not take as long to exitClones next Sunday.

bridgegael

Quote from: thewobbler on November 11, 2007, 09:59:11 PM
The reason players slip on Esler's surface is not because of the surface, but because they choose the wrong boot. When you walk on the grass, it is in such good condition it seems like it would take a mouldie. Wearing mouldies in November though is just a mistake.

sorry wobbler have to pull you on that one,  the surface on newry is that hard a stud won't go into the ground, no matter what time of year! 
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

downredblack

Dissapointing for the Bridge yesterday , definatley there for the taking but midway through the second half they just seemed to lose direction and reminded me of the Down senior team overplaying the ball with ten hand passes when fast ball into the forwards was needed .
On the bright side at least Mickey Walsh fixed McMenimen's yapping . ;D

Figo

The slippy surface in the marshes seems to be a strange one, although the turf appears to be in good condition any sort of a sharp turn causes players to slip, as has been seen in recent games.  I changed from mouldies to studs at half time in a game on it a month ago.  Studs gave me slighlty better grip but as pointed out by bridge gael the ground won't take it and so I ended up with blisters by the end.  I think it must be something to do with the knitting of the grass, compact soil.  When Croke park was first re-surfaced wasn't there similar problems?  I think more games on it can only help.

stpauls

any Drumgath posters on here at the minute? and any willing to share their views on the current playoff farce?

downredblack

Quote from: stpauls on November 12, 2007, 11:43:03 AM
any Drumgath posters on here at the minute? and any willing to share their views on the current playoff farce?

What's the story ? Do ye have to play Drumgath ?

lfdown2

absolutely bs!disgraceful behaviour from dgath, happy enough when they were 4th from top to take the playoff!!

stpauls

Quote from: downredblack on November 12, 2007, 11:46:31 AM

What's the story ? Go ye have to play Drumgath ?

apparently so, the game has been set for the 25th, but that all depends on appeal's etc, which we have already set in motion, and i just want to see what they think of it!

downredblack

Quote from: stpauls on November 12, 2007, 11:50:07 AM

apparently so, the game has been set for the 25th, but that all depends on appeal's etc, which we have already set in motion, and i just want to see what they think of it!

This seems to have been dragging on forever . What's yer chances with the appeal ? Paul's already beat Drumgath in the play offs is that right ?

stpauls

Quote from: downredblack on November 12, 2007, 12:02:31 PM
Quote from: stpauls on November 12, 2007, 11:50:07 AM

This seems to have been dragging on forever . What's yer chances with the appeal ? Paul's already beat Drumgath in the play offs is that right ?

yeah, has been dragging on for the last 2 months and will probably drag for a lot longer. we have already beat the Mitchels in the first game, with Mitchels being awarded the 2 points for Drumgath not fielding in the second game. now, as the rules clearly state, it was the bottom 3 in Div 3 that go to the playoffs, and with Bright not having got the 30% of the top team's points, it meant us and Mitchels to playoff, with Drumgath out side the bottom 3. Drumgath appealed, not sure on what grounds and won, but as we are a third party, we have no idea what they appealed against, so just gotta see what happens over the next few days.