Author Topic: Down Club Hurling & Football  (Read 4328409 times)

Targetman

• View Profile
Re: Down Club Hurling & Football
« Reply #29205 on: February 11, 2018, 09:13:18 PM »
Great result for Down today, have to be honest I didnít see it happening after last weeks performance but 4 points with 2 more home games to come puts us in a good place, not much between any teams in this league (apart from Louth)

Aristo 60

• There's no goal like a Down goal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29206 on: February 12, 2018, 12:17:51 PM »
10 down scorers (to Roscommon's 4) should mean plenty of the lads enjoyed the game yesterday  :)

Lecale Gael

• View Profile
« Reply #29207 on: February 12, 2018, 02:08:07 PM »
free takers of the likes of Carr, Mason, G McCartan make such a difference

Anthony Doherty and Darragh OHanlon and Donal Ohare look like being our go to men for the dead ball duites

down need to get the supply to the opposition 45 quicker than they do and this can increase the chances of getting frees in the modern game

just a thought
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #29208 on: February 13, 2018, 10:01:09 PM »
Easter

Easter Tuesday,3rd of April
Div one league games

Rostrevor v Clonduff
Ballyholland v Burren
Saval v An Riocht
Downpatrick v Castlewellan
Bryansford v Kilcoo
Mayobridge v CPN

ApresMatch

• View Profile
« Reply #29209 on: February 14, 2018, 08:16:08 AM »
Any reason why these games are on a Tuesday?

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #29210 on: February 14, 2018, 08:41:40 AM »
Any reason why these games are on a Tuesday?
To allow for family commitments on Easter weekend.

Targetman

• View Profile
« Reply #29211 on: February 14, 2018, 10:03:12 PM »
The players will love this, no scoops over Easter weekend!!

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #29212 on: February 17, 2018, 08:11:00 AM »
The players will love this, no scoops over Easter weekend!!
Easter Tuesday fixtures are scheduled almost every year.

Apparently the season dragged on too long last year (even though late October / early November league playoffs happened every year I played football), so if youíre suggesting the county board are wrong to do this, then Iíd suggest they cannot win.

Lecale Gael

• View Profile
« Reply #29213 on: February 17, 2018, 11:33:54 PM »
Anyone know how Down minors did today ?

I see the U16's won both games v Antrim
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

JimmyFloydMay123

• View Profile
« Reply #29214 on: February 18, 2018, 10:13:47 PM »
Can I just begin with saying how good of a tournament I think the Malachy Murdock is, which is ironic as he was such a great man. I went on Friday night - a miserable night may I add to see the stone against the harps. Inevitably both teams where rusty as it is preseason but I must say both teams did very well and made it a great game. The stone under shorty where aggressive and hungry, and with polie and ambrose playing made it a hard game for Ballyholland. The Harps were a bit slow to start of the game but gradually got there and played some great fluent football. Talking to a few men while watching the warm up I noticed a few new faces in the Ballyholland squad- later finding out that 5 of the squad are still playing minor football this year. 2 of these started and played great stuff- one eventually scoring the winning goal. Not often a team mixes in so many young players in the one batch but Poacher obviously sees something within these players as not any Tom Dick or Harry can play senior football. From what I saw, The stone will have great spirit and momentum going forward and should be there or there abouts for promotion to Division 1, while the Harps can look forward with promise to the future, with the energy these young players bring and the experience they still have- was a great watch.

downjim

• View Profile
« Reply #29215 on: February 20, 2018, 04:07:43 PM »
How do you think the two promoted teams will do this year?? I can see a really competitive division one this season with no game a simple two points.

supersub

• View Profile
« Reply #29216 on: February 20, 2018, 05:19:28 PM »
How do you think the two promoted teams will do this year?? I can see a really competitive division one this season with no game a simple two points.

In which Division?  ;D

OgraAnDun

• View Profile
« Reply #29217 on: February 20, 2018, 06:07:43 PM »

In which Division?  ;D

Mourne Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #29218 on: February 23, 2018, 05:46:09 PM »
A visit to Newry by Clare is not usually a key fixture but the result on Sunday will probably define our league season. We all know that the present Down squad is a work in progress and is fully capable of winning away to Roscommon and then losing at home to Clare, who hammered us in Ennis last year. The wrong result would leave us looking over our shoulder, with tough trips to Cavan and Meath and a pretty unpredictable home game against Tipperary still to come. However, beating Clare would leave us four points ahead of them, with Louth practically gone already. If Clare somehow caught us, the head to head result would still give us the advantage.

Hopefully a team will be named tonight and a first start of the season for McKernan would give us a big lift. He may well be needed to cope with Brennan, who is a serious midfielder for them, and Madine's strength would probably also be useful for us at some stage of the proceedings.

OgraAnDun

• View Profile
« Reply #29219 on: February 23, 2018, 06:05:36 PM »
A visit to Newry by Clare is not usually a key fixture but the result on Sunday will probably define our league season. We all know that the present Down squad is a work in progress and is fully capable of winning away to Roscommon and then losing at home to Clare, who hammered us in Ennis last year. The wrong result would leave us looking over our shoulder, with tough trips to Cavan and Meath and a pretty unpredictable home game against Tipperary still to come. However, beating Clare would leave us four points ahead of them, with Louth practically gone already. If Clare somehow caught us, the head to head result would still give us the advantage.

Hopefully a team will be named tonight and a first start of the season for McKernan would give us a big lift. He may well be needed to cope with Brennan, who is a serious midfielder for them, and Madine's strength would probably also be useful for us at some stage of the proceedings.

A win would probably have most of us eating our words from the start of the season and looking at a possible promotion tilt. But as you said, a loss and we would be in big trouble. Hopefully we won't be caught out like last year and home advantage will give us enough to get over the line, 6 points on the board and we should be safe at the very least. Neither a win nor a loss would surprise me.