Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stpauls

i assume that the county board has taken offence to something i wrote on here!! fcuk them, it is a public discussion board, and the matter was made very public when Drumgath took the story to the irish news!!

pearses

Firstly congratulations to Dundrum (league champions) and Tullylish, hope they do well in division 2.

Bredagh were beat today by the referee.  We were a point down when we got a goal.  The ref gave the goal then disallowed it saying it was a square ball.  The ball came off the crossbar or the post and apparantly that means it cant be square ball - I dont no the exact rule but you would think the referee would.  Real sickening way to end the season.

Square Ball

Wasn't me!!

Congrates to all at Dundrum and Tallish on their promotion

No throwing the toys out of the pram, or sour grapesbut the ref was pants, that should never have been disallowed the goal, the scorer was out of the square when the ball hit the bar and he ran in, the ref apparently asked the umpire was the scorer in the square, or course he was when he scored but he ran in.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

mournerambler

was at the bredagh v dundrum game & would like to add that paddy heaney should have had a red card for a blatant punch that both the linesman & ref agreed they saw,fair play to dundrum,the team that tried to play football!

dundrumite

Quote from: pearses on October 06, 2007, 07:09:50 PM
Firstly congratulations to Dundrum (league champions) and Tullylish, hope they do well in division 2.

Bredagh were beat today by the referee.  We were a point down when we got a goal.  The ref gave the goal then disallowed it saying it was a square ball.  The ball came off the crossbar or the post and apparantly that means it cant be square ball - I dont no the exact rule but you would think the referee would.  Real sickening way to end the season.

Was at the other end of the field when that occured but by the talk of our boys it was a square ball, however I dont believe that yous were beat solely by the ref and as rambler says heaney should of walked in the first minute,maybe these things balance themselves out over the course of a game. Its going to be a tough year next year but an exciting venture into the unknown espically with the ford having to pay a visit our way. Spirit any truth that a load of your boys didnt bother turning up? By the way would like to congragulate Boscomo on last week, know a few of your boys well and im sure it was an eventful few days after the final, also good luck to them in ulster.

DownFanatic

What a night last night. Unreal for us not only to go up but to go up as champions. Winning all 3 playoff games took a great amount of character and courage.
Hard luck to Bredagh. I was too far away to see if it was a square ball. However, as Dundrumite says things maybe even themselves out as Paddy Heaney should have walked on more than one occasion. Bredagh will be there or thereabouts next year for sure.
It was good to see Tullylish go up. They were the best team during the League stages and that was a very impressive win over Saul.
It will be unbeleivable next year when Dundrum take on Bryansford. After all those years of listening to shit from them and their supporters we can finally get a good rattle at them.
By the way I have to say our management have been excellent this year. John McShane has had a very successful 3 years in charge. He's led us to the JFC, promotion to Division 3 and now promotion to Division 2 with a League title in hand.
Also, if anybody knows a better trainer in the land than John Morgan then show me him. John took the Down Minors in 2005 to an All Ireland title and now he has trained us over the past three years. He is a superb asset to us.
So well done to the team and management of the two Johns and Eddie Campbell.
Roll on 2008.
I headin back to the pub.

Our Nail Loney

buglebhoy

brilliant second half of football today, Longstone fought back hard when the bridge maybe should have had it out of sight! Referee didn't help either sides at times! Don't know if Longstone could put in that effort in again next week. Ambrose took the game by the scruff of the neck in the last 10minutes and that made the difference. As for the bridge, big performances came from Benny, Magee, Gavin Barry, Ronan Sexton. Star man in my eyes today was Pluggy!

Hope that referee isnt the same next week!!

6th sam

Mourne Rover

The replay is supposed to be next Sunday, when Barry Kelly, who was suspended today, should be available for the Stone. That could make a difference, especially if Benny is not fully fit. You would still expect the Bridge to come through, but they were fairly ordinary today. They are capable of improving, but it is difficult to see them as potential Ulster contenders at this stage.

From a neutral perspective, the best players on show are probably all on the light side for county football. Mark Doran was outstanding for the Stone, with Mark Poland not far behind, but they have been tried before for Down without making much impact.

Similarly for the Bridge, Adrian Barry was excellent with Gavin Barry also very accomplished in defence. Adrian is bound to get a run for Down, but he may not be physically strong enough, while Gavin, for all his qualities, unfortunately will always struggle against a taller opponent.

Ambrose has a strange sort of game, starting at centre half back before immediately switching to a two-man forward line. It was only when he moved out the field late on that the Stone really got going. If he is at midfield all through next time, anything is possible.

It was a pity to see a few idiots, who looked very young, throwing plastic bottles at each other behind the town goals. Their clubs should make sure that it does not happen again. 

Square Ball

Whats the craic this year with changing from under 21s to under 20s this year? Is this just an East Down thing?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Lecale2

I watched the second half of the county SFC final on TG4 after coming back from another match. It was a really good game and a great advert for Down club football on television. Longstone deserved another day out but both teams will hardly worry the Tryone champions. Like most neutrals I expected the Bridge to win easy but the Longstone goal changed everything. Good luck to the underdogs in the replay.

In the Ulster Junior Championship Bredagh beat Cavan Champions Mullahoran 2-10 to 0-07. They now play Donegal Champions Setanta in the Ulster semi final.
How did Liatroim do in their match in Newry?

Uladh

surely the refereeing in down must have a huge influence on why down can't produce quality defenders. the game today resembled ladies football due to the referee's insistence on blowing up at every sign of contact... irrespective of whether there was a foul or not.

orangeman

Thrilling finish to the match today - saw it on TG4 who usually have very good coverage - but how did Mayobridge lose ? I saw Mickey Linden along the line - is he still in charge or is he playing a bit now ?

Uladh