Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamFever

Quote from: Smurfy123 on February 15, 2017, 12:35:56 PM
Old news mourne red where have you been?
A full scale argument on the side of the pitch at half time with a county board official and management
I take it the county board official was telling him to get Maginn Mckernan O Hanlon Johnstone etc on
who was the CB Official? The man in the hat?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: passedit on February 15, 2017, 02:40:53 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 15, 2017, 11:47:46 AM
Quote from: passedit on February 15, 2017, 11:44:08 AM
I see we've moved on a few stages in the GAA  Kübler-Ross model.

• Change the management. 
  • Pine for Unavailable players.
  • Invest previously undiscovered ability in same.
  • Proclaim specific club team could do better.

Etna smoulders on.

I think you might be waiting a while for the final stage.

I'm there already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EH1G4EwljM

Hard to argue with that.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Mourne Red on February 15, 2017, 12:05:20 PM
Irish News reporting Burns had a row with a County Board official?? We really are becoming the joke of Gaelic Football

Actually, the Irish News is reporting the opposite; i.e. Sean Rooney denying the report in the Independent that there was a row with a County Board official.
I believe the Chairman is telling the truth; while the man in the hat was in a meeting with management team at halftime, I saw no evidence of a row- unless someone who was in the huddle is leaking information that there was a row.
Passedit, I think you are on the money with the reference to Kubler Ross; the five stages are; denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Unfortunately the county executive and management are still between one and two; the rest of us are between four and five.

SamFever

Quote from: Dubh driocht on February 15, 2017, 05:09:13 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on February 15, 2017, 12:05:20 PM
Irish News reporting Burns had a row with a County Board official?? We really are becoming the joke of Gaelic Football

Actually, the Irish News is reporting the opposite; i.e. Sean Rooney denying the report in the Independent that there was a row with a County Board official.
I believe the Chairman is telling the truth; while the man in the hat was in a meeting with management team at halftime, I saw no evidence of a row- unless someone who was in the huddle is leaking information that there was a row.
Passedit, I think you are on the money with the reference to Kubler Ross; the five stages are; denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Unfortunately the county executive and management are still between one and two; the rest of us are between four and five.
Dubh driocht, you were there.Did you see anything?

Leonardo

I think I have said before and happy to repeat myself - is there anyone who would want to take the job? I believe that Eamon was the only man that would take it on at the time.
Regarding all the players that have been mentioned previously- is it possible that they haven't been taking part in all the training sessions? I don't know the answer, but it might explain why they aren't starting. Is it possible that the guys that are starting are the ones that have really knuckled down and worked hard in the preseason? Are the management putting out the message that if you bust your balls you will get a chance?
Im in no position to answer these questions and I'm in no way trying to defend the management, but it might be their way of getting the "stars" to work harder. Didn't Murray keep the lad McGarry on the bench when Colmans won the Hogan?
I agree with the Poster who said that M Clarke should be a special case. The lad has a condition that may not allow him to train every night for example- I think other players would buy into that. Likewise I think McCorry should have kept Benny Coulter as a special case. A county panel should appreciate that a man in his 30s shouldn't have to run about as much as a lad in his 20s

SHEEDY

danny hughes on newstalk this evening....

Almost seven years ago, Down reached an All Ireland final, narrowly losing to Cork in the September 2010 Croke Park decider.

Fast forward to this year and the Allianz National Football League campaign is already beginning to look like a write off for a county that won All Irelands as recently as 1991 and 1994. The last Ulster title arrived back in 1994.

They are rock bottom of Division 2 after decisively losing their opening two matches to Clare and Fermanagh and it follows a 2016 championship when they were hammered by Monaghan in the Ulster championship and were eliminated in the first round of the qualifiers by Longford.

But what is at the heart of Down GAA's malaise?

Former Down footballer Danny Hughes joined Off The Ball to share is view on what's going on in the county.

He shared one anecdote to illustrate his point.

"The convention last year, there was a lovely couple of quips coming out of it like 'it's always darkest before the dawn'. That was one of them," he said.

"This year it's 'a rising tide lifts all boats'. So what they're doing is, before the meeting, they're Googling motivational quips and they're using these things as brilliant things to put out into the media. Absolutely fantastic sayings but a complete load of horsesh*t and excuse my language but that's the reality. People are fed up with it.

"Everybody has so much respect for what the '90s team's done and what the '60s team done and stuff like that. But slowly our legacy as a county is becoming a laughing stock.

"You can make an argument that we've - and I don't want to be disrespectful to Antrim - but we're sitting round about that type of level... Division 3, Division 4 type stuff. That's where we are."
nil satis nisi optimum

Samforever

Quote from: SHEEDY on February 15, 2017, 10:11:17 PM
danny hughes on newstalk this evening....

Almost seven years ago, Down reached an All Ireland final, narrowly losing to Cork in the September 2010 Croke Park decider.

Fast forward to this year and the Allianz National Football League campaign is already beginning to look like a write off for a county that won All Irelands as recently as 1991 and 1994. The last Ulster title arrived back in 1994.

They are rock bottom of Division 2 after decisively losing their opening two matches to Clare and Fermanagh and it follows a 2016 championship when they were hammered by Monaghan in the Ulster championship and were eliminated in the first round of the qualifiers by Longford.

But what is at the heart of Down GAA's malaise?

Former Down footballer Danny Hughes joined Off The Ball to share is view on what's going on in the county.

He shared one anecdote to illustrate his point.

"The convention last year, there was a lovely couple of quips coming out of it like 'it's always darkest before the dawn'. That was one of them," he said.

"This year it's 'a rising tide lifts all boats'. So what they're doing is, before the meeting, they're Googling motivational quips and they're using these things as brilliant things to put out into the media. Absolutely fantastic sayings but a complete load of horsesh*t and excuse my language but that's the reality. People are fed up with it.

"Everybody has so much respect for what the '90s team's done and what the '60s team done and stuff like that. But slowly our legacy as a county is becoming a laughing stock.

"You can make an argument that we've - and I don't want to be disrespectful to Antrim - but we're sitting round about that type of level... Division 3, Division 4 type stuff. That's where we are."

And your solution is Danny?

OgraAnDun

Listened to most of the interview with Danny Hughes and Cahair O'Kane on Newstalk and there was a lot more than that said and some strong accusations thrown out.

Smurfy123

That's what you call a no holds barred interview
To far?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Smurfy123 on February 16, 2017, 07:20:15 AM
To far?

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the machinations of the county board or the problems but from that little that I do know, I don't think so.

Brick Tamlin

The worst thing is that this is all playing out in the pubic arena.
But maybe its what is needed. Maybe the hammer should be taken to the walnut and smashed to bits.

Blind Nostalgia, nepotism and total incompetence has ruined this county and will sadly continue to do so it seems.

rosskarr

Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 16, 2017, 08:00:44 AM
To far?

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the machinations of the county board or the problems but from that little that I do know, I don't think so.
"Don't think so"what?I don't understand.

Smurfy123

It's going to be a tough few years ahead unless eamon can turn things around very quickly..

Was excited about the new club Down launch but like everything it sounds more exciting and then the reality of it hits home and they don't know the next step.
On the launch night you could not sign up as they hadn't yet set up different prices.
Anyone heard anything moving forward with club Down ??

OgraAnDun

Quote from: rosskarr on February 16, 2017, 02:15:38 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 16, 2017, 08:00:44 AM
To far?

"Don't think so"what?I don't understand.

The question was 'too far?'. The answer is 'I don't think so'.

SHEEDY

To far?
only got to hear all of the danny hughes interview today. it was good to hear him saying what every man on the street is saying and i dont think he went too far at all. dont think too many could argue with anything he or cahir o'kane said.
nil satis nisi optimum