Author Topic: Down Club Hurling & Football  (Read 3974176 times)

Mourne Red

• View Profile
Re: Down Club Hurling & Football
« Reply #27555 on: January 09, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »
Any word on when the league starts?? Hearing mumblings of 24th March

Ulsterman09

• View Profile
« Reply #27556 on: January 09, 2017, 08:48:20 PM »
Looks like they are all on the squad
4 kilcoo lads to come back into the starting team along with Donal O Hare,Kevin McKernan,Madine and Mark Poland for the Fermanagh game?

Anyone else to come in for that game that would likely start?

I would like to think the likes of Conor Poland, Niall McParland, Michael Ireland, Daniel Morgan, Robbie White would all be worth there go on the county Panel, especially with these players size and relatively all good footballers. Probably a good way of identifing the best talent, go though every div 1-2 clubs best 3 players (who aren't on the county already/retired from it and see what names pop up

wobbller

• View Profile
« Reply #27557 on: January 09, 2017, 09:08:10 PM »
Looks like they are all on the squad
4 kilcoo lads to come back into the starting team along with Donal O Hare,Kevin McKernan,Madine and Mark Poland for the Fermanagh game?

Anyone else to come in for that game that would likely start?

I would like to think the likes of Conor Poland, Niall McParland, Michael Ireland, Daniel Morgan, Robbie White would all be worth there go on the county Panel, especially with these players size and relatively all good footballers. Probably a good way of identifing the best talent, go though every div 1-2 clubs best 3 players (who aren't on the county already/retired from it and see what names pop up
  "Names pop up"?? We're into January and the season is up and running with Trials all finished.Catch a grip.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:09:52 PM by wobbller »

elk

• View Profile
« Reply #27558 on: January 09, 2017, 09:22:05 PM »
And who decides who the three best players are?

SamFever

• View Profile
« Reply #27559 on: January 12, 2017, 07:56:00 AM »
 I am fed up reading tripe from Benny Coulter.Bad enough weekly in the Democrat but he now seeems to be in the Irish News a lot saying what Down needs.    Down really needs him to walk away and let the current players at it without his frequent words of wisdom.

Brick Tamlin

• View Profile
« Reply #27560 on: January 12, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »
I enjoyed his recent interview with Kevin Cassidy before Christmas in The Gaelic Life.
Insightful and thought-provoking to say the least.

SamFever

• View Profile
« Reply #27561 on: January 12, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »
I enjoyed his recent interview with Kevin Cassidy before Christmas in The Gaelic Life.
Insightful and thought-provoking to say the least.
  maybe an exception alright.

5 Sams

• View Profile
« Reply #27562 on: January 12, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »
I am fed up reading tripe from Benny Coulter.Bad enough weekly in the Democrat but he now seeems to be in the Irish News a lot saying what Down needs.    Down really needs him to walk away and let the current players at it without his frequent words of wisdom.

I dont think you are being very fair on Benny. He is a passionate Down man who has a platform to air his views and why shouldnt he? As for tripe....dunno about that...his point this week about us having the best fixture set up in the country was a very good one.
The Aristocrat Years

OgraAnDun

• View Profile
« Reply #27563 on: January 12, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »

I dont think you are being very fair on Benny. He is a passionate Down man who has a platform to air his views and why shouldnt he? As for tripe....dunno about that...his point this week about us having the best fixture set up in the country was a very good one.

Although I don't disagree with allowing a former player a platform, I think that saying we should be expecting an Ulster title this year is pretty ridiculous after not winning a single match in 2016. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Predictor

• View Profile
« Reply #27564 on: January 13, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »
from the GAELIC LIFE
Kilcoo and Castlewellan must replay LAST YEARS league final

KILCOO and Castlewellan are set to replay last season’s controversial league final.

Gaelic Life understands that a meeting took place last night involving GAA officials, Down County Board officials and representatives from the two clubs.

It was decided that the first league meeting between the two teams in 2017 will now double up as the final, with two points also on offer. The match is expected to be played at Pairc Esler with the teams flipping a coin to decide who will have been deemed to have had home advantage for the fixture.

Castlewellan were awarded the title after Kilcoo pulled out of the league final in November, which was scheduled to take place a few days after their Ulster Club meeting with Glenswilly.

It means the unusual situation that Castlewellan will now play a league final under without the manager who got them there – John ‘Shorty’ Trainor. Mark Doran, part of the coaching team last season, is now over the Town.

Now that is complete stupid i think, what happens if the game ends in a DRAW ??

whitegoodman

• View Profile
« Reply #27565 on: January 13, 2017, 01:16:21 PM »
from the GAELIC LIFE
Kilcoo and Castlewellan must replay LAST YEARS league final

KILCOO and Castlewellan are set to replay last season’s controversial league final.

Gaelic Life understands that a meeting took place last night involving GAA officials, Down County Board officials and representatives from the two clubs.

It was decided that the first league meeting between the two teams in 2017 will now double up as the final, with two points also on offer. The match is expected to be played at Pairc Esler with the teams flipping a coin to decide who will have been deemed to have had home advantage for the fixture.

Castlewellan were awarded the title after Kilcoo pulled out of the league final in November, which was scheduled to take place a few days after their Ulster Club meeting with Glenswilly.

It means the unusual situation that Castlewellan will now play a league final under without the manager who got them there – John ‘Shorty’ Trainor. Mark Doran, part of the coaching team last season, is now over the Town.

Now that is complete stupid i think, what happens if the game ends in a DRAW ??

And some people think we have the best fixture setup in the country !

forevergreen

• View Profile
« Reply #27566 on: January 13, 2017, 01:18:37 PM »
Like all good Neighbours, if its a draw, they'll likely share it, 6 months each :) :) :) :) :)

Either way its tarnished now and the county board have made a balls of it

EagleLord

• View Profile
« Reply #27567 on: January 14, 2017, 10:08:32 PM »
How do Loughanisland posters feel about this?

Maurice Moss

• View Profile
« Reply #27568 on: January 14, 2017, 11:34:13 PM »
How do Loughanisland posters feel about this?

As a kilcoo supporter I'm feeling great about the decision, however, I can only sympathise with Loughinisland supporters.

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #27569 on: January 15, 2017, 10:18:12 AM »
I also believe Ballymartin didn't field for a game and the game went to the other team?
Any information on what the plans are for the big launch on Friday night?Exciting times ahead.Some good videos for promotion of it
Down by 2 today