Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

The goals from the Bridge v Ford game are on the Bridge site if anyone wants a gander

http://mayobridge.down.gaa.ie/2007videoclips.html

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

off the laces

Quote from: DownFanatic on September 17, 2007, 10:19:26 PM
Off the Laces, the Division 3 Playoffs were always set for the 22nd, 29th and the 6th.
Tullylish v Bredagh starts at 1.30pm and Dundrum v Saul starts at 3pm in a double header at Newcastle this Sunday.

But that is what my gripe is you say the fixtures where always set for 22 although it will be played on the 23. How do you plan anything ???

Keeps 'er' straight

Our Nail Loney

Got the number off one of your club men who used to work for Hughes' mo, said for me to ring back next week they'd have odds closer to the match. Cheers!

Guillem2

What's the arrangements for the Down hurling final on Sunday? I usually try to get down to it.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

johnneycool

3.30pm throw in down in Portaferry Guillem.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: amallon on September 19, 2007, 02:24:35 PM
The goals from the Bridge v Ford game are on the Bridge site if anyone wants a gander

http://mayobridge.down.gaa.ie/2007videoclips.html

After looking at that it justs proves the route one game is alive and kicking in Mayobridge! fair play!

Statto-Gael

Weekend Predictions anyone ? 

Saturday 22 September

Div One 5pm

Mayobridge v Clonduff  [Bridge]
Castlewellan v Longstone [Longstone]
Burren v An Riocht [Burren]

Sunday 23 September

Down Democrat SHC Final (3.30pm in Portaferry)
Ballycran v Ballygalget [Ballygalget]

Div One Playoff in Castlewellan
3pm Liatroim v Loughinisland [Island]

Div Two Playoffs in Clonduff:
1.30pm Ballyholland v Downpatrick  [Ballyholland]
3pm Saval v Ballymartin  [Ballymartin]
In Atticall 3pm: Warrenpoint v Glassdrumman [Warrenpoint]

Div Three Playoffs in Newcastle:
1.30pm Tullylish v Bredagh [Tullylish]
3pm Saul v Dundrum [Draw - too tight to call]
In Castlewellan 1.30pm: Mitchels v St. Pauls  [St Pauls]

kinghen

Saturday 22 September

Div One 5pm

Mayobridge v Clonduff  [Bridge]
Castlewellan v Longstone [Longstone]
Burren v An Riocht [Burren]

Div One Playoff in Castlewellan
3pm Liatroim v Loughinisland (loughinisland)
Div Two Playoffs in Clonduff:
1.30pm Ballyholland v Downpatrick  [Ballyholland]
3pm Saval v Ballymartin  (saval)
In Atticall 3pm: Warrenpoint v Glassdrumman (Warrenpoint)

Div Three Playoffs in Newcastle:
1.30pm Tullylish v Bredagh (Tullylish)
3pm Saul v Dundrum (dundrum)
In Castlewellan 1.30pm: Mitchels v St. Pauls (mitchels)

RESERVE FOOTBALL LEAGUE FINAL

Burren vs Ballholland    (burren) close match

Our Nail Loney

Are you playing in that reserve match hen?

kinghen

no thats the 3ths!! plus im from neither of those clubs ::)

goldenyears

DOWN followers no doubt hope that one day their county can be up there challenging again.

However, 'Concerned Downman' believes the structure of club football in the Mourne county is damaging their chances on the county stage:

"Considering Down is a county where the critical mind can flourish, it was perhaps surprising that, after a season which only yielded one competitive win, criticisim of Ross and DJ was fairly muted.

"This is probably because the general consensus around the county is that the we don't have enough players of genuine inter-county standard. So how come this proud county is not producing the players we need in sufficient numbers?

"It can certainly be argued that Down boasts coaching structures, development squads, etc on a par with anywhere in the country. In recent times we have seen an All-Ireland minor title and a Hogan Cup come to the county. We can also point to a healthy representation in last year's Sigerson Cup triumph for Queen's and finalists Jordanstown.

"It therefore appears logical to me that our adult club football isn't carrying on the good work being done at underage level. Imagine my surprise then when your correspondent, Paddy Heaney devoted a recent Against the Breeze column to praising Down's excellent league programme and the organisation thereof.

"Paddy plays for Bredagh in Division Three and they began their league programme on Friday April 13 and finished it on August 31, having played 22 league games and two championship games. Not counting two weeks in July (a football-free

zone in Down) this means that 24 games were shoe-horned into 18 weeks. None of these fixtures were played on a Sunday (another football-free zone in Down).

"During this 18-week period, there were two 11-day periods when club footballers in Down had to play four league games. Imagine the outcry if David Jeffrey or Mark McCall had to as their professional players to play four games in 11 days. The powers that be in Down ask our amateur club footballers to do so after doing a day's work on each match-day.

"My own club, Dromara, played 19 games in total, but only had football in 15 out of the 18 weeks due to byes in our league.

"Mr Heaney's article also heavily criticised an unnamed county for depriving club footballers of competitive action for a period of six weeks, claiming that this would drive players into the arms of other sports.

"The bulk of club footballers in Down now face six months without competitive action.

"I believe that this feast or famine approach to fixtures is damaging Down football. We must offer our adult players serious competitive action in more than 18 weeks out of 52 in a calendar year or else Down football will continue to be battling 'Against the Gale'."

6th sam

Concerned Downman's reflections on the club leagues are valid.
The current adult club structure is not acceptable--a 5 month long season is crazy.
I don't blame the fixture's secretary-he runs the fixtures well .
It's the system that needs improved.

You only have to look at Drumgath-their reward for providing 3 players to the county squad this year--is a frustating season ,ending up in the bottom 4,because of the starred system.

We have to protect our county players,give club players regular football,and stop penalising clubs with county men!

Forgot me Boots

Guys

looking at the teams in the 3rd division promotion playoffs it could come down to a four way tie, well thats if my maths is correct.

if thats the case, or there are 2 teams on the same points what is the next deciding factor for the winner, then whats next?

stiffler

Is it true that Drumgath are jumping from the Senior Championship down to the Junior Championship next year? surely they are too good for that level
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Square Ball

Looks like it, after winning the imtermediate they were in the Senior, now in a relegation play off, paid a big price for having county players on the team, and other problems.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid