In Castlewellan 1.30pm: Mitchels v St. Pauls

South Down Fixture

Sunday 23 September 5pm

(Venue To Be Confirmed)

NBS Ltd. RFL Final

Ballyholland v Burren

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DownFanatic

Off the Laces, the Division 3 Playoffs were always set for the 22nd, 29th and the 6th.
Tullylish v Bredagh starts at 1.30pm and Dundrum v Saul starts at 3pm in a double header at Newcastle this Sunday.

After this the setup is as follows: Saul v Bredagh, Tullylish v Dundrum and then the final set is Tullylish v Saul and Dundrum v Bredagh.

I would presume that the reason why the 1st set of games has been moved to the 23rd is to accomodate our U-16's who are in a County Final on Saturday.

johnneycool

Quote from: Pull Hard Hes No Relation on September 17, 2007, 03:03:06 PM
Bacon can't believe they have appointed Ned, nice enough guy but a poor ref in my opinion certainly for that quality of match. County Hurling final is the biggest day for hurling people in the county and there should have been efforts to secure a top class ref. Don't see why they didn't ask Ray Matthews, would have been a great choice IMO.

It certainly reeks of a pat on the back for Ned, but I really do have concerns as to how these refs are appointed. How many senior games has Ned refereed in his career let alone this year? A similar thing happened a few years back when Frank McDonald was appointed and he'd refereed very few games let alone senior games that year.

I know there are issues with bringing in outsiders to referee the showcase finals as the Camogie board have had a few defections since they brought in Una Kearney from Armagh to referee this years final and didn't give it to some of the local ref's but if there isn't an obvious candidate refereeing at that level through the year an external referee has to be looked at.

I only hope that Ned's inexperience at this level doesn't have a bearing on the result and that we're not talking about him again on monday morning..

Our Nail Loney

Anyone know anywhere giving any odds for the Junior final between Bosco and Drumaness? Even if they just tell me the odds, work in bookies here and fella looking odds so thought I would try here.

Bacon

Quote from: johnneycool on September 18, 2007, 08:04:32 AM
Quote from: Pull Hard Hes No Relation on September 17, 2007, 03:03:06 PM
Bacon can't believe they have appointed Ned, nice enough guy but a poor ref in my opinion certainly for that quality of match. County Hurling final is the biggest day for hurling people in the county and there should have been efforts to secure a top class ref. Don't see why they didn't ask Ray Matthews, would have been a great choice IMO.

It certainly reeks of a pat on the back for Ned, but I really do have concerns as to how these refs are appointed. How many senior games has Ned refereed in his career let alone this year? A similar thing happened a few years back when Frank McDonald was appointed and he'd refereed very few games let alone senior games that year.

I know there are issues with bringing in outsiders to referee the showcase finals as the Camogie board have had a few defections since they brought in Una Kearney from Armagh to referee this years final and didn't give it to some of the local ref's but if there isn't an obvious candidate refereeing at that level through the year an external referee has to be looked at.

I only hope that Ned's inexperience at this level doesn't have a bearing on the result and that we're not talking about him again on monday morning..
Down refs will walk if they start giving all the big matches to outsiders but you need experience at senior level before taking on the SHC final. There are very few options for the final this year and I would like to see an outsider brought in as a one off.
You won't get senior hurling experience in Down so I would like to see more of our hurling refs volunteering to do games in Antrim & Ulster leagues.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

stpauls

Bacon, its hard enough to get refs to do the matches (in football anyway) that they are actually appointed to do because they have too far to travel, so i am not sure how easy it would be to try and get refs to travel to other counties to do so!!!! there has been a spate of refs who swop matches the night before the games so that it suits them better to travel 5 minutes up the road than 45 minutes to the match they were suppose to referee!!

johnneycool

Quote from: stpauls on September 18, 2007, 11:14:41 AM
Bacon, its hard enough to get refs to do the matches (in football anyway) that they are actually appointed to do because they have too far to travel, so i am not sure how easy it would be to try and get refs to travel to other counties to do so!!!! there has been a spate of refs who swop matches the night before the games so that it suits them better to travel 5 minutes up the road than 45 minutes to the match they were suppose to referee!!

That maybe true but I don't think the Down county board will be giving the county senior football final to someone who's refereed Div2 and Div3 games all year. For years both JA Gribben and HP McCusker travelled up to Antrim to referee games and so are others like Hugh Torney and Deccy McGee so its not a recent thing. I just think senior referee's should referee senior games and so on. If no one fits the criteria then we need to get an outside referee.

orangeman

passedit - thanks for the update - glad to hear he is well.

goldenyears

how did burren v bridge reserves go last night

5 Sams

Quote from: goldenyears on September 18, 2007, 01:17:58 PM
how did burren v bridge reserves go last night

Burren won easy enough in the end. 'bridge were poor throughout....only two points scored in the first half ...both by Mickey Linden....legend or not its bad news when you are depending on a man of his age to get your scores for you and your other best player is the Paul Cunningham...the next oldest man on the field.
The Aristocrat Years

boscomo

i got 6-4 at the start of the junior championship on the bosco not sure what drumaness where but will find out and i will try and find out what both teams are now though i guess drumaness would be favourites.

if in doubt eat it

Our Nail Loney

Cheers boscomo, i'm just looking for the match prices for a mate of mine who plays for St Mick's, he thinks after the semi he knows who's gonna win!

southdown

Any word on any ACPRL reserve fixtures? we havent had a game in near 2 months, its becoming a joke.

boscomo

nial give hughes bookies in newry a wee ring, they are on monaghan street if you need the number they will give you a match price.

if in doubt eat it

kinghen

to be fair the premier reserve semi final between burren and the bridge was tough conditions to play in 4 both side, the fact that burren won the toss and chose to play wi the wind in the first half was significant! its very difficult to come out in the second half that far behind.

i personally think burren will win it now, as clonduff hav lost too many players to their senior team!!