Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

I have no problem with wanting to win but win at all costs at u10 level and even younger?? To win in a tournament at this level you are depending on maybe 5 or 6 of your stronger players and this also means leaving players on the sideline for the entire match. For me at this young age there should be enjoyment for the players. If you are already labeling players as being weak at u10/12 and below this age group and not helping them develop you have more chance of losing them from our games. Just my opinion.
nil satis nisi optimum

johnneycool

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 15, 2016, 06:33:01 PM
What's the big problem with kids wanting to win?
All this crap about stopping kids from winning is bull
Maybe that's what's wrong with this county we are happy just to play and accept defeat
If we had more of a winning mentality throughout this county we would not always except getting hammered out the door at senior and under 21 and a 5 point defeat at minors
Maybe I'm wrong but sure it's my opinion

There's absolutely nothing wrong with kids wanting to win, it's a basic trait in all of us. It's the managers and coaches who consistently play their"strongest" players and give little game time to the less well developed at the younger age groups, 9 aside go games and so on and then wonder why they struggle to get a panel when the games go 15 a side.
Just one issue I have with short sightedness within some coaches at the  formative years

Smurfy123

I see the great underage talent that Cavan has produced is fairly helping there senior team
But for a win against 2 very poor teams they are as bad as us this past 4/5 years
Underage talent means very little
Take away Tyrone and not many others can bring them through
Even the Kerry teams haven't produced much at underage pre 2014

wobbller

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 16, 2016, 05:44:44 PM
I see the great underage talent that Cavan has produced is fairly helping there senior team
But for a win against 2 very poor teams they are as bad as us this past 4/5 years
Underage talent means very little
Take away Tyrone and not many others can bring them through
Even the Kerry teams haven't produced much at underage pre 2014
Your actual point being what?

Smurfy123

My point being a good underage structure counts for nothing when it comes to seniors
Cavans underage structure in Ulster is No 1 where has it got them in senior football
The amount of times I've heard on here we need to get out underage right before we can even think of underage success
If anyone on here believed that underage success has much bearings on senior football then your the fool
Or maybe it's me who the fool is
Just my opinion
Down seniors need sucess and they need it now

Smurfy123

wobbller

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 16, 2016, 06:36:15 PM
My point being a good underage structure counts for nothing when it comes to seniors
Cavans underage structure in Ulster is No 1 where has it got them in senior football
The amount of times I've heard on here we need to get out underage right before we can even think of underage success
If anyone on here believed that underage success has much bearings on senior football then your the fool
Or maybe it's me who the fool is
Just my opinion
Down seniors need sucess and they need it now
Ok,we'll get that sorted right away for you.

Smurfy123

You asked me a question I answered you

wobbller

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 16, 2016, 11:03:29 PM
You asked me a question I answered you
You amuse me.Define now?

Blue Island

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 15, 2016, 06:33:01 PM
What's the big problem with kids wanting to win?
All this crap about stopping kids from winning is bull
Maybe that's what's wrong with this county we are happy just to play and accept defeat
If we had more of a winning mentality throughout this county we would not always except getting hammered out the door at senior and under 21 and a 5 point defeat at minors
Maybe I'm wrong but sure it's my opinion

I think you missed the point of the article. The suggestion is that teams winning at underage level should not be to the detriment to player development. I know there is a growing trait in schools etc to hand out medals to winners and losers to prevent hurting their feelings. Many would consider that is not exactly a great test for later life. That is not what is being suggested here. It is an article about individual development and instilling both the skills and developing the character to win.

There was a revealing report into underage development in ice hockey some years ago which spoke volumes about how development at underage level is so important. One year they looked at the birthdays of the all stars team and realised there was quite a majority who were born in the first half of the year. They looked back through the records and realised this was not an anomaly and was in fact the norm. Given such an anomaly they researched the matter and quickly concluded that those kids who were bigger and stronger at early underage level stood out in comparison to their team mates. Quite often that was because they were in fact nearly a year older as they were closer to the cut off date. All the resources and energy went into developing these "better" kids and the rest were allowed to wither on the vine, so to speak. Ice hockey quickly took measures to remedy the problem.

Most professional sports now realise the importance of individual development . Rugby is another example. Most early underage games are touch rugby to allow smaller/younger players to develop. In particular this has been a success in New Zealand where there was a disparity of size at underage level.

It's not about molly cuddling kids, it's about getting the best out of them.

SHEEDY

Good to see the '91 team back together and getting honoured at clones today. We could be doing with a few of those boys playing now. Watching the ulster final makes you want even more for Down to get back playing and winning Ulster titles again.
nil satis nisi optimum

SamFever

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 17, 2016, 10:00:00 PM
Good to see the '91 team back together and getting honoured at clones today. We could be doing with a few of those boys playing now. Watching the ulster final makes you want even more for Down to get back playing and winning Ulster titles again.
So we'll have something to see on AI Final day this year then.The memories!

knockitdown

Why have the Junior football championship fixtures still not been released?

The Bearded One

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 17, 2016, 10:00:00 PM

Does anyone have a list of the full squad from 1991?
It is what it is. Presumably.

Lecale Gael

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 12, 2016, 07:14:26 PM
Quote from: Lecale Gael on July 12, 2016, 03:34:13 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on July 09, 2016, 11:26:48 PM
Quote from: Lecale Gael on July 09, 2016, 11:21:13 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on July 09, 2016, 09:23:53 PM
longford beat monaghan tonight in the qualifiers, maybe we're not so bad after all. at least we took them to extra time.  ;)

cringe  ::) Longford slaughtered us. the goals made it look closer than it really was.
sarcasm is obviously lost on people on here.

oh is that what the wee wink smilie was  ::)
your fond of the wee roll eyes emoji.  ::) I can just imagine you sitting at home for the last 3 days thinking of a witty reply then you just say 'feck it I'll just roll my eyes again'. It must be some craic round your house rolling your eyes if anyone says anything. If I'm being sarcastic again I'll make it more clearer especially for you.  ::)

haha some of us don't have the luxury of sitting at home. whatever floats your boat  ::)
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)