Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamFever

How about everyone lists one or two players that weren't involved with the County this past 2-3 years that could possibly step
up when our new man is in place?

forevergreen

untried  players that should be in the thoughts of the new county manager,

Daryl Brannigan, Kilcoo
Joe Murphy, Ballyholland
Michael Ireland, Longstone
Connaire Harrison, Glassdrumman

They be worth a run

EIREANNACH

Ref div 4 ballykinlar have no senior team and i have heard killyleagh not fielding next season. That makes it an 8 team league.

Div 1 - 12 teams
Div 2 - 12 teams
DIv 3 - 10 teams
Div 4 - 8 teams

Perhaps a couple of 3rds teams could feature in  bottom division ? I know they entered JFC in the past.
Down Gaa 2015 Championship Predictions League 3rd place 2015

5 Sams

Quote from: forevergreen on October 13, 2015, 07:25:16 PM
untried  players that should be in the thoughts of the new county manager,

Daryl Brannigan, Kilcoo
Joe Murphy, Ballyholland
Michael Ireland, Longstone
Connaire Harrison, Glassdrumman

They be worth a run

+1 on Joe. Played in an AI U21 final and hasn't been looked at since. Superb footballer.
The Aristocrat Years

TheClutch

Can any one name the team that started the All Ireland U21 final in 09?
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

A man from Down

Hoganstand report from 2009 Under 21 Final. Probably stolen by Hoganstand from another media source!

Cork 1-13
Down 2-9

The fine line between success and failure was firmly evident at O'Moore Park, Portlaoise as a 62nd minute goal from Colm O'Driscoll stole the Cadbury's All-Ireland U21 Football Championship from Down's grasp as the Rebels claimed their eleventh title.

Down were seeking a first success in this competition since 1979 but they were cruelly denied as a resolute Cork claim a last gasp win

The Mournemen managed by former Ireland International Rules manager Peter McGrath had taken the lead on two occasions in the second half thanks to well earned goals, but it was Cork's lone three-pointer which secured the Clarke Cup for the Rebels.

Goals from Eamon Toner and captain Timmy Hanna saw Down take the lead on two occasions in the second half but a resiliant Cork weren't to be denied their second All-Ireland title in three campaigns.

Eager to make a positive start Down settled quickest thanks to an opening minute Paul Devlin pointed free but Cork gained a firm foothold at midfield and dominated possession over the opening quarter.

However it took the Rebels almost seven minutes to get off to a positive footing with captain Colm O'Neill slotting over their opening score.

A brace of David Goold points ensured a 0-3 to 0-1 Cork lead but although dominant at midfield the Rebels leaked two of the next three points, with Paul McComiskey and Paul Devlin on target as Down cut the gap to the minimum.

But a forceful Cork outfit oozed enthusiasm in attack with Gould and O'Neill again to the fore as the Rebels claimed a 0-8 to 0-5 interval lead, but could have been further in front having rued five wides and conceding pointed frees from McComiskey and Devlin.

The Rebels were unsettled on the restart having lost half-forward Ciaran Sheehan through injury as Down made an inspired start.

A McComiskey brace and a inspiring score from midfielder Peter Fitzpatrick cut the gap to the minimum by the 38th minute.

Although a James Fitzpatrick point saw Cork break into a 0-10 to 0-8 lead with 17 minutes remaining, the Ulster champions placed huge pressure on a resolute Cork attack at this stage but were rewarded for their efforts.

A quick burst forward from midfield saw Eamon Toner finished the ball to the Cork net as Down took the lead for the first time since the opening minute.

O'Neill and Goold edged Cork back in front but a gutsy Down bounced back with Toner feeding defender Timmy Hanna as the Mourne captain burst through for the Ulster sides second goal.

Both teams were well matched in the closing stages, but a second point from midfielder Fitzpatrick saw Down take a two-point lead with as many minutes remaining.

Down supporters were sensing a rare All-Ireland crown for their side at this stage, and although their goalkeeper Gavin Joyce pulled off a superb save from an Aidan Walsh shot, O'Driscoll delivered the sucker punch to ensure a Rebel victory.

Cork - A Seymour; S McLoughlan, L Jennings, N Galvin; C O'Driscoll, A Walsh, B Daly; C O'Donovan, K O'Driscoll; C Sheehan, M Collins (0-2), C O'Driscoll (1-0); C O'Neill (0-5, 2f), D Goold (0-5, 3f), P Honahan. Subs: J Fitzpatrick (0-1) for Sheehan (32-inj); B Lombard for Jennings (49); B O'Driscoll for Honahan (62); L McLoughlin for K O'Driscoll (62)

Down - G Joyce; M Digney, C Murney, D Turley; T Hanna (1-0), J Fitzpatrick, J Murphy; M Magee, P Fitzpatrick (0-2); E Toner (1-0), C Maginn, J O'Reilly; P Devlin (0-3, 3f), P McComiskey (0-4, 2f), C Poland. Subs: N Higgins for Digney (46)

Ref - Cormac Reilly (Meath)

Lecale Gael

The starting Cork side has seen better development in terms of players making the step up to senior football. Why is that ?
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

SamFever

Mickey Linden and Conor Deegan

TheClutch

Quote from: Lecale Gael on October 14, 2015, 02:05:10 PM
The starting Cork side has seen better development in terms of players making the step up to senior football. Why is that ?

Down - G Joyce; M Digney, C Murney, D Turley; T Hanna (1-0), J Fitzpatrick, J Murphy; M Magee, P Fitzpatrick (0-2); E Toner (1-0), C Maginn, J O'Reilly; P Devlin (0-3, 3f), P McComiskey (0-4, 2f), C Poland. Subs: N Higgins for Digney (46)

I thought this was the case and I completely agree. From the above team I can only see four players who have played in SFC? McComiskey, P Fitzpatrick, Devlin and Maginn.

6th sam

Quote from: TheClutch on October 14, 2015, 03:12:40 PM

I thought this was the case and I completely agree. From the above team I can only see four players who have played in SFC? McComiskey, P Fitzpatrick, Devlin and Maginn.
Murney , o'reilly, hanna ,Turley also played UFC or qualifiers, I think. Would be interesting to chart the development of our minor and u21 players and try to identify reasons why most don't become established senior players.

TheClutch

Quote from: 6th sam on October 14, 2015, 03:22:01 PM
Quote from: TheClutch on October 14, 2015, 03:12:40 PM

Murney , o'reilly, hanna ,Turley also played UFC or qualifiers
Ah I didn't know of these boys getting game time for seniors during championship. I always thought T Hanna showed some serious potential when playing for the U21s. Big Mick Magee dominated in the lower divisions of Down football when playing for Ardglass, and since transferred to RGU. Any one know how he fared out for them since the transfer?

SamFever

Quote from: SamFever on October 14, 2015, 02:21:50 PM
Mickey Linden and Conor Deegan
rumoured to be our new Senior Managers

rosskarr

supersub

Johnny Parr is the best keeper in Down by some distance given what he offers at both ends of he field.

clowry13

Honestly believe Tiarnan Rushe should be gave a run with the county. huge potential. McKenna cup would be ideal to see if he can make the step up.