Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Raven

As I have said before can this county really sustain 48 clubs. In my opinion around 40 would be sufficient for our population. Even our large larger town clubs are struggle to field underage teams. East Down seems to be struggling the most, even 13 a side underage teams aren't fielding or are fulfilling meaningless fixtures with very young teams. I know the GAA is parish based but maybe it's time look beyond this. The only people who loose out when a team doesn't field are the dedicated players so perhaps it's time to rationalise our clubs. For example and in no particular order or preference but can Banbridge area, Downpatrick area, Mourne, Newry, or mid Down around Drumaness Loughinisland, Teconnaght really support the current number of clubs going into the future. Our greatest resource is our youth and they aren't born with parish or club rivalries. As we have seen from our own county history even the bitterest of rivals amalgamated only to strengthen the new club, nobody died and very few walked away

CHB1

Is it a parenting issue these days?  Are kids too fond of sitting in the house now to play Games consoles, Ipads etc.  Or is it an issue where too much commitment is expected of senior club players these days that it puts the 'next generation' off the commitment for GAA.  Some clubs start pre season in November doing Gym work 3-4 nights a week.  Is this needed?  are we losing the ability of playing football by concentrating too much on weights etc.  Young lads need nurtured and not rushed.  The cream will always rise to the top and maybe the new age groups will help protect young fellas from being thrown in straight to senior football.  A year or two extra at their own age group along with playing a bit of reserve/premier reserve football would maybe be more beneficial whilst getting the odd call up to a senior team. 

Red eye

See 4 South Down clubs through to quarter finals of Senior c'ship - CPN, Burren, Rostrevor and Mayobridge. Still think Kilcoo will have a major say in the c'ship.
What happens if Kilcoo come through - can they play Burren again in a quarter or semi final?
Can previous match ups happen, or is the system set so that is avoided until say final?

Down Follower

Its a strange one alright.  Seeing it in county football, the team who was beaten the first day and comes through to play a rematch always seem to have an advantage.  Imagine as Rostrevor pulling Clonduff in the Quarter finals, that would mean Rostrevor beat them in Round 2 and the prize would be... a quarter final against Clonduff!!  Strange.  On last nights game, it was a very exciting game - a lot of good young players on show on both teams.

Gaa for life

would introducing stronger clubs 2nds teams such as burren kilcoo and mayobridge into the JFC help make it more competitve? if killyleagh and ballykiner were competing in a junior b competition they might get a few more competitive games and it would be an incentive to stay playing as they would be competitive as opposed to getting beaten most of the time. I know I used this idea for intermediate championship but surely it would benefit the junior championship

5 Sams

Quote from: Gaa for life on August 25, 2015, 11:30:06 AM
would introducing stronger clubs 2nds teams such as burren kilcoo and mayobridge into the JFC help make it more competitve? if killyleagh and ballykiner were competing in a junior b competition they might get a few more competitive games and it would be an incentive to stay playing as they would be competitive as opposed to getting beaten most of the time. I know I used this idea for intermediate championship but surely it would benefit the junior championship

It used to be like that. I remember Clonduff 2nds beating us in the Junior championship in the 80s. :-[ :-[ :-[
The Aristocrat Years

qubdub

Quote from: ardtole on August 24, 2015, 09:43:48 PM
I dont think 13 - a side is an option because the winners of the jfc qualify for the Ulster jfc which is 15 a side.
I know, was just thinking out loud, maybe along the lines of giving clubs the option of playing the match 13-a-side in the group matches only? Out of curiosity, do aghaderg struggle as much fielding for hurling?

I don't know if a junior b is the way forward, nor the introduction of 2nds teams as I fear they would just win it every year. Though I do have vague recollections of 2nds sides being junior before, and funnily enough winning it. It's actually startling when you begin to think of all the clubs that once fielded at one stage or another in down that either folded or amalgamated.

RadioGAAGAA

Well, for clubs struggling to field, maybe having the option of 7s league(s) would be useful.

Although, I guess fixture congestion would marginalise the idea before it gets off the ground.
i usse an speelchekor

GAAHEAD1960

What is the defence for multiple championship games? I really think it takes away from the whole thing as straight knock out produced some great matches. Seems to me that it is purely about money (from what I hear county takes the admission fees) and so that Down is well represented in Ulster. It doesn't give the "smaller clubs" a better chance as it would take a  very strong squad to be able to win 6 games in a row with the chance of having to beat the same team twice, it pretty much means the competition is a non-event until the quarter final as the chance of a surprise is very small. Just elongating an already long season to no avail.

Mourne Rover

Can anyone confirm the proposed dates for the county senior, intermediate and junior finals ?

6th sam

Demographic changes present a real challenge for the GAA. Smaller families, dwindling rural population, dwindling birth rates , and perhaps political change & a less strong patriotic element to the GAA.
In addition GAA governance and legislation , though usually necessary, are making it harder to attract people to take up administrative roles. The strong "traditional" clubs will always find it easier to retain playing/coaching/admin personnel but it is much harder for the "less glamourous" clubs to develop in the face of these challenges.
What's the answer???
There is no single answer but the first step is a honest appraisal of where we are at , as a county( including our clubs).
In terms of sustainability of clubs, I think that all clubs need to be encouraged to plan for the next 10-20 years at least, and as county we need to examine what we can do to develop our club participation into the future.
The status quo is not an option for any club.
Participation peaked in the 90s and factors like county success, and developing excellent club facilities were certainly two major factors in terms of making our games glamourous. Similarly now, we must prioritise improved and sustainable county success and improving facilities for county and club teams eg floodlights, as unfavourable demographics present us with our biggest challenge yet!

EIREANNACH

Quote from: Mourne Rover on August 25, 2015, 03:05:50 PM
Can anyone confirm the proposed dates for the county senior, intermediate and junior finals ?

Sunday 13th October Junior I think . assume rest is same ?
Down Gaa 2015 Championship Predictions League 3rd place 2015

wobbller

Quote from: wobbller on August 13, 2015, 04:23:38 PM
Senior and Junior Finals are to be on Oct11th.Int/Minor 4th. S/ F's of Senior and Junior are on weekend 25-27th Sept with the Semis of Minor and Intermediate the weekend before which is AIF weekend.  I think.

outinfront

rosskarr

Love to be a fly on the wall for tomorrow's night county Board meeting.