Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaa for life

well said DF fundraising is a massive part of local gaa. it takes a lot of unnoticed hard work to build up funds in order to develop grounds and changing facilities. a lot of people want everything but are not willing to put in the hard work. the reason "the big clubs" have good facilities is that they have people driving the fund raising within their own clubs. use kilcoo as an example for the 2nd pitch that the now have, no one handed that to them. they organised events and draws and whatever else to gather up the money to pay for it. its not easy but it can be done!!

supersub

Quote from: Gaa for life on August 19, 2015, 03:55:21 PM
well said DF fundraising is a massive part of local gaa. it takes a lot of unnoticed hard work to build up funds in order to develop grounds and changing facilities. a lot of people want everything but are not willing to put in the hard work. the reason "the big clubs" have good facilities is that they have people driving the fund raising within their own clubs. use kilcoo as an example for the 2nd pitch that the now have, no one handed that to them. they organised events and draws and whatever else to gather up the money to pay for it. its not easy but it can be done!!

;)

johnneycool

From my experiences Down CB can assist you in filling in applications for grants from various government bodies, but as Down CB themselves haven't the nails to scratch their own arse, I can't see them giving any clubs money, big or small.
Some clubs you would look at having great facilities, but then you hear the horror stories of the dept they're having to service on a monthly basis would scare you.

What sort of size of membership would Glen have anyway?

GreenGiant

Quote from: johnneycool on August 20, 2015, 09:09:44 AM

From my experiences Down CB can assist you in filling in applications for grants from various government bodies, but as Down CB themselves haven't the nails to scratch their own arse, I can't see them giving any clubs money, big or small.
Some clubs you would look at having great facilities, but then you hear the horror stories of the dept they're having to service on a monthly basis would scare you.

What sort of size of membership would Glen have anyway?

At a guess I would say it would be no more than 150

CHB1

About time the facilities at Glenn were put to bed.  Some clubs have good facilities and others don't.  It takes time and a lot of effort to raise necessary funds to get the facilities that all clubs aspire to have.  Kilcoo for instance don't have great facilities with regards to changing rooms but are one of the leading clubs in the county.  They have a great new pitch which was badly needed for the level of membership they have. 

SamFever

From GAELIC LIFE TWITTER Account"........
GAELIC Life understands that Jim McCorry is to consider his position as manager of the Down senior football team.

The county executive met with the Mourne boss this week, and McCorry had hoped that a number of his doubts would be allayed. It seems, however, that issues still remain in place.

It is believed that McCorry requested the meeting four weeks ago, and the delay in scheduling it has not helped the siutation.

He is now likely to discuss the matter with his management team and advisors. It is understood that the Down players are very keen on him to remain in charge.

Despite a disappointing championship campaign, including a qualifier defeat to Wexford, McCorry appeared to be on solid ground due to it being his first year in charge, and also, due to the fact that he guided the team into division one.

That belief, however, fell apart when the county management recommended that he be removed from his post last month on a 7-6 score after they held a vote.

In the subsequent county board meeting, the clubs and board voted 23-13 in his favour. The seven who voted against him in the management committee then cast another seven votes against him to bring it to an overall 22-20 figure, ensuring he was retained as manager.

As for now, McCorry remains in charge and he was present at a number of club championship matches in recent weeks as he tries to spot new talent. Dan Gordon and Martin Clarke are expected to return to the county scene for the 2016 season.

Related Posts:

elk

Warrenpoint facilities are pretty poor too

general_lee

Some peoples Christmas present came early this year...

SHEEDY

Quote from: general_lee on August 20, 2015, 07:32:19 PM
jim mccorry has quit. dont think its a real surprise.
nil satis nisi optimum

rosskarr

I'm sure there's something funny in this but I'd need it explained

Aristo 60

Jim is gone.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: SamFever on August 20, 2015, 01:41:36 PM
From GAELIC LIFE TWITTER Account"........
GAELIC Life understands that Jim McCorry is to consider his position as manager of the Down senior football team.

The county executive met with the Mourne boss this week, and McCorry had hoped that a number of his doubts would be allayed. It seems, however, that issues still remain in place.

It is believed that McCorry requested the meeting four weeks ago, and the delay in scheduling it has not helped the siutation.

He is now likely to discuss the matter with his management team and advisors. It is understood that the Down players are very keen on him to remain in charge.

Despite a disappointing championship campaign, including a qualifier defeat to Wexford, McCorry appeared to be on solid ground due to it being his first year in charge, and also, due to the fact that he guided the team into division one.

That belief, however, fell apart when the county management recommended that he be removed from his post last month on a 7-6 score after they held a vote.

In the subsequent county board meeting, the clubs and board voted 23-13 in his favour. The seven who voted against him in the management committee then cast another seven votes against him to bring it to an overall 22-20 figure, ensuring he was retained as manager.

As for now, McCorry remains in charge and he was present at a number of club championship matches in recent weeks as he tries to spot new talent. Dan Gordon and Martin Clarke are expected to return to the county scene for the 2016 season.

Related Posts:
Surprised at this. The story in the Irish News two weeks ago where McCorry made reference to the Conall McGovern red card, and talked a lot about 'we' made me think he'd moved on from the vote. I'd heard he was at a few championship matches and that confirmed the view he was planning ahead.If this GL story is accurate, it's clear that he is still seeking the backing of management- which I think is fair enough. Back me or sack me! No surprise that the players in the panel still want him there but would the players who should have been in the panel want him there ?

SHEEDY

Quote from: rosskarr on August 20, 2015, 07:41:19 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on August 20, 2015, 07:40:05 PM
jim mccorry has quit. dont think its a real surprise.
Has this been confirmed?
yeah, confirmed by statement from county board.
nil satis nisi optimum

The Raven

forevergreen

This is another shameful episode for Down GAA, the
executive committee should hang their heads in shame!!
Jim had a vision and remit to rebuild but was undone by a load of clowns living in the past under the "down way" banner.

It wasn't the run in the championship we all hoped for but Jim would have had a clear plan and nobody would have been as disappointed as him, and the next steps to recovery were no doubt being planned as he left Wexford.

So where to now, a rummage through the 91 or 94 all Ireland programme and therefore Conor Deegan come on home the price is right!!!!!! Or back to the future O'Rourke and Pete

Meanwhile thanks for the effort Jim, I for one think you would have succeeded, clear out the post box, the offers are coming already!!!