Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Would prefer to see one central authority running our county's competitions instead of two divisional boards plus our main CCC which is currently the case. The past couple of years when the 16's and Minors ran at all county level it was refreshing and also increased the scope for our competitions.

The Raven

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 20, 2015, 12:34:58 AM
Would prefer to see one central authority running our county's competitions instead of two divisional boards plus our main CCC which is currently the case. The past couple of years when the 16's and Minors ran at all county level it was refreshing and also increased the scope for our competitions.

100% agree

imagine

Quote from: passedit on March 19, 2015, 11:45:53 PM
Quote from: The Raven on March 19, 2015, 11:36:25 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 19, 2015, 05:53:32 PM
PaulD - that's just not feasible, as to get off the ground running, any manager worth his salt would want two month's training ahead of round 1. Which, if we need u21s to be largely wrapped up before the club season would mean starting matches in the last week of January, training at the end of November, and trials for a month before that. No thanks. And that's before you bring in county senior and Sigerson commitments on that same timeline.

Best thing we could with under-21 football is turn it into an old style weekend tournament and guarantee everyone three games. Yes it would be attritional, but it would condense it in the schedule.

Raven, the logistics of taking a team from the Mournes to Belfast (or vice versa) on a weekday evening is difficult. The top grade sides can do it because they have the player numbers. Smaller teams just can't afford to lose a handful of players due to travel commitments, and it's natural in any club that once a few lads can't commit, a few more throw in the towel. We should be encouraging these lads to play and enjoy their football, and not make them drive an hour to face a beating, or to scramble through their phone books to field a team.

Fair point wobbler, but as 2 of the 3 "Belfast"clubs are in the all county league the only surely having to travel to Holywood once a season wouldn't be that much of an imposition. I'm sure mourne teams would much rather travel to Loughisland or Drumaness than Banbridge or Tullylish.
At least the South Down fixtures are out, I would be surprised if the East Down fixtures have even been drawn up, maybe someone can prove me wrong.
I'm not and never have been a fan of divisional boards,I would much rather see similar strength clubs from wherever in the county playing in all county leagues rather than 2 skewed one sided leagues. Think of this as a player would you rather have an all county division 2 winners medal  at Minor or U16 than a South Down or  East Down medal. I know which I would want

What about travelling from holywood?
That would depend on how much we have on in terms of other activities. Any excuse and St Paul's don't travel or we travel weak.

johnneycool

Quote from: imagine on March 20, 2015, 08:59:15 AM
Quote from: passedit on March 19, 2015, 11:45:53 PM
Quote from: The Raven on March 19, 2015, 11:36:25 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 19, 2015, 05:53:32 PM
PaulD - that's just not feasible, as to get off the ground running, any manager worth his salt would want two month's training ahead of round 1. Which, if we need u21s to be largely wrapped up before the club season would mean starting matches in the last week of January, training at the end of November, and trials for a month before that. No thanks. And that's before you bring in county senior and Sigerson commitments on that same timeline.

Best thing we could with under-21 football is turn it into an old style weekend tournament and guarantee everyone three games. Yes it would be attritional, but it would condense it in the schedule.

Raven, the logistics of taking a team from the Mournes to Belfast (or vice versa) on a weekday evening is difficult. The top grade sides can do it because they have the player numbers. Smaller teams just can't afford to lose a handful of players due to travel commitments, and it's natural in any club that once a few lads can't commit, a few more throw in the towel. We should be encouraging these lads to play and enjoy their football, and not make them drive an hour to face a beating, or to scramble through their phone books to field a team.

Fair point wobbler, but as 2 of the 3 "Belfast"clubs are in the all county league the only surely having to travel to Holywood once a season wouldn't be that much of an imposition. I'm sure mourne teams would much rather travel to Loughisland or Drumaness than Banbridge or Tullylish.
At least the South Down fixtures are out, I would be surprised if the East Down fixtures have even been drawn up, maybe someone can prove me wrong.
I'm not and never have been a fan of divisional boards,I would much rather see similar strength clubs from wherever in the county playing in all county leagues rather than 2 skewed one sided leagues. Think of this as a player would you rather have an all county division 2 winners medal  at Minor or U16 than a South Down or  East Down medal. I know which I would want

What about travelling from holywood?
That would depend on how much we have on in terms of other activities. Any excuse and St Paul's don't travel or we travel weak.

Our U-16 team travelled to CPN two Sundays ago and then Newry last Sunday. I don't have a problem with that, but what I do have a problem with is teams travelling but the other team not reciprocating in the reverse fixture later on in the year.

Shamrocks Gaelp

Minors beat Monaghan today in downpatrick with a score line of 0-6 to 0-4. Looked like to be very close. Anyone know the team or any other reports?

NP 76

Looks close alright looks very defensive by both teams as the scoreline suggests. Was anyone at it

Predictor

With the Division 3 Football season kicking off tomorrow
Who do we think will be the top 3 teams teams chasing promotion
I would have to say
>Aghaderg
>Dundrum
>Glasdrumman

TOMORROWS FIXTURES
BALLYKINLAR V GLASDRUMMAN
AGHADERG V TECONNAUGHT
MITCHELS V DUNDRUM
BRIGHT V ST PAUL'S
ARDGLASS V AUGHLISNAFIN
KILLYLEAGH V ST MICHAEL'S GAC, MAGHERALIN

Maurice Moss

Teams to win I've selected in bold

BALLYKINLAR V GLASDRUMMAN
AGHADERG V TECONNAUGHT
MITCHELS V DUNDRUM
BRIGHT V ST PAUL'S
ARDGLASS V AUGHLISNAFIN
KILLYLEAGH V ST MICHAEL'S GAC, MAGHERALIN

outinfront

Hard to call as I have no idea how these teams are shaping up this year but I would be expecting Tecconaught to be looking to bounce back from relegation.  Saw Dundrum vs St Malachys (Antrim) and they were very poor (by their own admission) but may have just been preseason rustiness.

Glasdrumman
Tecconaught
Dundrum
Bright
Ardglass
Killyleagh

charlieTully

hopefully Ballykinler will field a team this year, sad a club with such a rich tradition in the county have a successful soccer club and couldnt field at senior level last year. no more excuses, time for them to get the finger out.

wobbller

Quote from: charlieTully on March 22, 2015, 12:55:25 AM
hopefully Ballykinler will field a team this year, sad a club with such a rich tradition in the county have a successful soccer club and couldnt field at senior level last year. no more excuses, time for them to get the finger out.
+1. The County Board tried to help last year to some degree of success but the hard work needs
to be done by their Club people.

passedit

Quote from: wobbller on March 22, 2015, 09:26:20 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on March 22, 2015, 12:55:25 AM
+1. The County Board tried to help last year to some degree of success but the hard work needs
to be done by their Club people.

Not a great start yesterday with only three games happening.

Aghaderg 2-1 V 7-18 Teconnaught

Time: 3 00 PM , Venue: Aghaderg

Referee: Ronan Barry

Round 2

Bright 1-11 V 1-12 St Paul's

Time: 3 00 PM , Venue: Bright

Referee: Eugene O Hare

Round 2

Killyleagh 3-6 V 1-6 St Michael's GAC, Magheralin

Time: 3 00 PM , Venue: Downpatrick

Referee: TBC

Looks like a long hard year for Aghaderg going by yesterday's scoreline, did they win a game at all last year?
Don't Panic

John Martin

Why did only 3 games take place?

passedit

Don't Panic

ardtole

John Gilchrist (RIP) was buried in Ardglass yesterday, a great supporter of gaelic games in the county and I think one of the founding members of the Down Supporters Club. Past and present footballers were asked to form a guard of honour. Ive no idea why the other two games were postponed.