Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

Thats a pity, sorry for the point to hear that

Mourne Rover

It's always tough to lose an All Ireland semi by a point, and it may be that the injuries Warrenpoint suffered in the run-up to the game were decisive. Their county players will deserve a break, although Jim McCorry may want to have at least a couple of them on the bench next weekend. Kildare were always going to be difficult opponents, and they have just taken Dublin to extra time in the final of the O'Byrne Cup.

Line Ball

Disappointing finish for Warrenpoint today.  I hear they had about three major injuries over the last week or two so that certainly didn't help.  Ardfert had already won a few All Irelands in the last few years so they were probably up against it today.  It will be interesting to read reports how the likes of Mc Garry and the Mc Cartan's did against tighter opposition as they are likely to come into Mc Corry's plans along with Ryan Boyle and Ryan Mallon for Down in the League.  It's hard to see them making the cut for next week though.

Has Down announced an NFL panel yet as I have seen a few other counties do this in the last day or two?

gaamann

Bottom 5 going into division 2 and 6th from bottom will play off with 2nd place team from division 2.Liatroim Ballyholland Annaclone Clann na Banna Longstone  Rostrevor and Glenn any 5 from that 7 will be playing division 2 next year. Sixth team should win the play off game.

supersub

Interesting you didn't name Warrenpoint in that given how they performed last time at that level. Not saying they will get relegated, just interesting to see peoples perceptions. Hard luck to them today, will still go down as a superb season though. Out of interest who were the three major injuries?

Line Ball

Just wondering, Supersub, how the individual players who had done so well for Warrenpoint in Down and Ulster performed on the bigger stage today?  As for the injuries, you tell me who didn't play today who would normally?  I heard one was a bad knee injury.

gaamann

Supersub cant see Warrenpoint going down they are a much better team than they were 2 years ago. Solid at the back strong around the middle and a few above average forwards plus a very good management team top half of division one for me.

Shamrocks Gaelp

Division 1 teams to get relegated to 2 :-

16th = Clann Na Banna (without doubt)
15th = Liatroim (without doubt)
14th = Annaclone (pretty certain they will go down)
13th = Ballyholland Harps (50/50)
12th = Rostrevor (will be unlucky if they go down)
11th = Glenn (will probably win play off)

Division 2 teams to get relegated to 3 (not too sure if it's 8 going down) :-

16th = Dromara (without doubt)
15th = Kilclief (without doubt)
14th = Darragh Cross (without doubt)
13th = Drumaness (50/50)
12th = Saul (hard to call)
11th = Drumgath (new manager and players returning from injury so hard to call)
10th = Carryduff (although U21's won b championship they might not do enough to keep afloat)
9th = Bosco (will be unlucky if they are relegated)

What is the deal with relegation and promotion across the 3 leagues? Would also like to know everyone else's opinion on these predictions (just my own opinion based upon current circumstances and last years preformances )

DownFanatic

Quote from: supersub on January 25, 2015, 09:36:51 PM
Interesting you didn't name Warrenpoint in that given how they performed last time at that level. Not saying they will get relegated, just interesting to see peoples perceptions. Hard luck to them today, will still go down as a superb season though. Out of interest who were the three major injuries?

Top 2 in this year's Division 3 go into next year's new Division 3.

Down Follower

Bryansford
Mayobridge
Kilcoo
Burren
Should all be around the top 4 again next year and are the only teams I would consider as safe from the drop.

Downpatrick
Castlewellan
Longstone
Clonduff
Saval
Rostrevor
Warrenpoint
Ballyholland
Annaclone
Glenn
Basically any of these teams could slip into the bottom 6 quite easily. Least likely to do so would probably be Castlewellan/Downpatrick/Clonduff but no guarantee of that. On any day when these teams are playing each other, who knows what the result would be. Go back over the last 3 years and see the results of these teams and they would all be beating each other. Warrenpoint are obviously included given their strong showing in intermediate last season and would expect them to be in the running to stay up/go down as all these teams will be.

Clann na Banna
Liatrom
Cant see these two teams escaping the bottom 6. That doesnt necessarily mean they will be the bottom 2, although we all expect Clan na Banna to struggle (shades of Glenn last year perhaps!!). Liatrom could finish well up around 11th/12th but can see them escaping bottom 6.

rosskarr

Quote from: Down Follower on January 26, 2015, 01:49:32 PM
Bryansford
Mayobridge
Kilcoo
Burren
Should all be around the top 4 again next year and are the only teams I would consider as safe from the drop.

Downpatrick
Castlewellan
Longstone
Clonduff
Saval
Rostrevor
Warrenpoint
Ballyholland
Annaclone
Glenn
Basically any of these teams could slip into the bottom 6 quite easily. Least likely to do so would probably be Castlewellan/Downpatrick/Clonduff but no guarantee of that. On any day when these teams are playing each other, who knows what the result would be. Go back over the last 3 years and see the results of these teams and they would all be beating each other. Warrenpoint are obviously included given their strong showing in intermediate last season and would expect them to be in the running to stay up/go down as all these teams will be.

Clann na Banna
Liatrom
Cant see these two teams escaping the bottom 6. That doesnt necessarily mean they will be the bottom 2, although we all expect Clan na Banna to struggle (shades of Glenn last year perhaps!!). Liatrom could finish well up around 11th/12th but can see them escaping bottom 6.
What way will the Leagues be in 2016,12,12 10 and 10?

Ed Hardy

Any word on the Down team for Sunday? I'd like to see this team;

1.K Gordon
2. D O'Hagan
3. L Howard
4. D Turley
5. B Mc Ardle
6. C Garvey
7. R Johnstone
8. P Fitzpatrick
9. K Mc Kernan   
10. C Mooney
11. P Devlin
12. C Maginn
13. C Laverty
14. D O'Hare
15. J Johnson

Highlander3

Quote from: Ed Hardy on January 27, 2015, 06:41:36 PM
Any word on the Down team for Sunday? I'd like to see this team;

1.K Gordon
2. D O'Hagan
3. L Howard
4. D Turley
5. B Mc Ardle
6. C Garvey
7. R Johnstone
8. P Fitzpatrick
9. K Mc Kernan   
10. C Mooney
11. P Devlin
12. C Maginn
13. C Laverty
14. D O'Hare
15. J Johnson

Hi Ed, all good footballers but that would be a very small team, I remember last year in the championship that I thought Kildare physically dominated us, and that was a bigger team than the one you just named

Aristo 60

I just have a sneaking feeling that mooney won't walk onto team straight away and that McCorrywill stick with Madine in the line up and maybe arthur too

Mourne Rover

Mooney has reportedly been allowed to stay with Jordanstown and may not join the Down squad for another couple of weeks. Madine must be likely to start at midfield, with McKernan named in the half forwards but playing as sweeper. Poland is back in training and will be very much in contention to come straight in.

McCorry could surprise us and throw in a couple of the new faces from the McKenna Cup, but, given that our first league game is away to a Kildare side who are favourites for promotion, he will probably go for a fairly experienced line-up.