Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Line Ball on January 15, 2015, 07:03:02 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 15, 2015, 05:36:39 PM
I'm not really sure where some of the ideas above about Mooney have come from. Unless he's had a brain and personality transplant since he went to Oz, he's never going to play as a midfielder of a box-to-box forward.

He doesn't touch the ball often. Never did, not even at club underage football. In the MacRory cup final when he scored 2 goals I genuinely doubt if he touched the ball 10 times. But that's his game: lay hands on it 10 times, bag 2-3 from it.

We should be thinking Benny Coulter's replacement here lads. Anything else is wistful. If he delivers half of what Benny did in that role, he'll be doing alright.

Thats a bit rough Wobbler.  What age was he when he went to Oz, 18 or 19 but he has obviously done something to annoy you? 

The difficulty is find his best position and it seems to be the same problem with Madine.  His is being played all over the place, HB, MF, HF & FF lines but nothing long enough to make an impact.  Mc Corry (and not Mc Curry Whitegoodman, I think you know this) is facing problems with the likes of Mc Kernan,Mooney and Madine, not knowing where to get the best out of them.  I am also not convinced about Paul Devlin.  A decent club player who has never really done it at county level.  Mc Corry might be able to get the best out of him as he knows him well and will give him plenty of chances but I don't think he will ever cut it at with Down.  Good to see O'Hare getting a bit of form back after a serious burst onto the scene a year or two ago but certainly quiet last year.  It would have been nice to get another game in the Mc Kenna Cup but can't see it happening now, our first NFL team selection v Kildare will be interesting.

Haha just read this back and I can see what you mean.

It wasn't meant to be a criticism of the lad at all. Probably would have read better as something along the lines of "unless he's had a bizarre epiphany that has transformed his playing style into something completely the opposite to his natural game".

He's a wonderful player. Point I'm making is that anyone who thinks playing him at midfield will get him more involved in games is barking up the wrong tree. He's not that sort of player.

Smurfy123

C Mooney is not a full forward that I am sure of.Cant figure out your argument that he is not a midfielder?Why do you think that?We had a very clever defensive midfielder in BC as he showed for Mayobridge this year.The mind boggles if people don't think that man could have played that roll.I don't the McCorry cab play KMK PT PD NM and Arthur all on the one starting line up

5 Sams

Quote from: Highlander3 on January 15, 2015, 10:03:29 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on January 15, 2015, 09:18:54 PM
Quote from: Highlander3 on January 15, 2015, 09:10:51 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on January 15, 2015, 05:49:53 PM
john clarke transferring to st johns from an riocht.

Hi Sheedy, is this to the co down St. John's ? Do you know why he is transferring?
yeah co down st johns. he lives near there after getting married, though he still played for kingdom last year while living in castlewellan area. plays soccer for castlewellan. he'll be a big miss for the kingdom.
Some addition for St Johns. John is a magnificent footballer still.

Will be a big plus for St. John's, they might have a chance in getting promotion this year
The Aristocrat Years

The Raven

Hi Sheedy, is this to the co down St. John's ? Do you know why he is transferring?
yeah co down st johns. he lives near there after getting married, though he still played for kingdom last year while living in castlewellan area. plays soccer for castlewellan. he'll be a big miss for the kingdom.
Might not be the last high profile transfer before start of the season

Down Follower

Quote from: The Raven on January 16, 2015, 12:43:59 AM

I love this top secret stuff - Go on, enlighten us  :)

ardtole

a man with bryansford connections told me Martin Clark could be moving to Bryansford or Castlewellan. Prehaps he got the brothers mixed up and the club. Maybe not.

The Raven

Quote from: Down Follower on January 16, 2015, 11:02:37 AM
Quote from: The Raven on January 16, 2015, 12:43:59 AM

I love this top secret stuff - Go on, enlighten us  :)
It only took 22 minutes

spirit0f91and94

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 15, 2015, 05:54:12 PM
Did he play in the full forward line at underage level?  I always considered him as a roaming wing half forward but full forward could be an option.  I don't think McCurry will start him at the start of the national league and will gradually introduce him.

As for the firt league team it's anyone's guess

Kane
O Hagen
Howard
Collins
Turley
Mcardle
Garvey
Fitzpatrick
Turley
R Johnston
Devlin
Mckernan
Laverty
Mcconville
O Hare

With jerome, mooney and Poland to introduce.  O hares form has improved which is why I think he wil get in ahead of Johnston. It looks like he might operate McKernan at 12 playing a sweeper role. 

We could really do with getting big Dan back but he won't be there at the start of the league anyway so we must o with what we have.

When the point lads come back in McCartan, Mallon and mcgary won't be far away either.
This would be great - Maginn won't be needed and can play for Bryansford!

Smurfy123

Frank will be happy to have Maginn full time or now that he is a Down manager he will want him playing for Down?Id be concerned more about Frank joining the Down set up once the 21s finish spirit?Could he possibly be a selector with Down and manage the Ford also?

Mourne Rover

Cavan are seven points up on Monaghan at half time and by all accounts should be further ahead. Unless Monaghan stage an unlikely late revival, our McKenna Cup campaign is over.

Mourne Rover

Cavan duly won, but only by three points and Monaghan apparently missed a couple of late goal chances. While we could probably have done with an extra game, it was still a reasonable McKenna campaign for us.

DownFanatic

Considering the amount of rookies and players with limited county experience that got game time id say that McCorry will have been very happy with 2 wins out of 3. It was a decent start to the season.

rosskarr

Agree- good enough start to what will be a challenging season.
Getting Marty Clarke back at some stage would also help.

Predictor

WITH THIS YEARS GAA CLUB LEAGUES GETTING CLOSER AND CLOSER
WHO IS TAKING THE ROLE OF MANAGEMENT FOR EACH CLUB THIS YEAR??

Div: 1
Bryansford=
Mayobridge=
Castlewellan=
Kilcoo=
Burren=
RGU Downpatrick=
Clonduff=
Glenn=
Rostrevor=
Longstone=
Annaclone=
Ballyholland=
Saval=
Liatroim=
Cumann Pheadair Naofa=
Clann na Banna=

Div: 2
Tullylish=
Loughinisland=
An Ríocht=
Ballymartin=
Bredagh=
St John's=
Darragh Cross=
St John Bosco=
Newry Shamrocks=
Saul=
Atticall=
Drumgath=
Carryduff=
St Colman's Drumaness=
Dromara=
Kilclief=

Div: 3
Mitchels=
Dundrum=
Bright=
St Paul's=
Ardglass=
Aughlisnafin=
Killyleagh=
St Michael's GAC, Magheralin=
Ballykinlar=
Teconnaught=
Glasdrumman=
Aghaderg=

supersub

Quote from: Predictor on January 19, 2015, 10:33:42 PM
WITH THIS YEARS GAA CLUB LEAGUES GETTING CLOSER AND CLOSER
WHO IS TAKING THE ROLE OF MANAGEMENT FOR EACH CLUB THIS YEAR??

Div: 1
Bryansford=
Mayobridge=
Castlewellan=
Kilcoo=
Burren=
RGU Downpatrick=
Clonduff=
Glenn=
Rostrevor= Stefan White
Longstone=
Annaclone=