Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

We have major problems in midfield here.The 2 lads playing last night would get us destroyed against a big team.I would go with Kevin and Mooney against Kildare.Give kMK the defensive role and let Mooney attack everytime he gets the ball.Agree in that his kick passing was poor but it will come.Arthur hadn't a great game last night but I think he has done enough to start.

Down Follower

To me Mooney was back to his 'impact' type play last night. He flashes in and out of games, sometimes to devastating effect, last night not so much. On a better night, with dry ball, his speed will be almost impossible to stop.  I would however like to see him much more involved in a game. Men like McKernan and Laverty are constantly involved in the play, if we could get Mooney constantly involved then the odds increase that there be an end product. 
Obviously he wasnt playing for Down last night but when he does thats what I think he needs to improve on.

5 Sams

What did yiz think of Arthur last night. A lot of boys around me were giving out about him but I thought he worked very hard and deserved a goal at the end. Great save by the Poly's keeper.
The Aristocrat Years

Smurfy123

Thought he worked hard,he did give away a few easy fist passes thought should have been easy passes but overall I think he has done enough at this stage.A very honest player with his work rate top class.His fitness needs to improve throughout the league if he is to make an impact come championship time.Has Madine done enough to start against Kildare??

5 Sams

He probably has. Gods knows where he'll be playing though!
The Aristocrat Years

thewobbler

I'm not really sure where some of the ideas above about Mooney have come from. Unless he's had a brain and personality transplant since he went to Oz, he's never going to play as a midfielder of a box-to-box forward.

He doesn't touch the ball often. Never did, not even at club underage football. In the MacRory cup final when he scored 2 goals I genuinely doubt if he touched the ball 10 times. But that's his game: lay hands on it 10 times, bag 2-3 from it.

We should be thinking Benny Coulter's replacement here lads. Anything else is wistful. If he delivers half of what Benny did in that role, he'll be doing alright.

SHEEDY

john clarke transferring to st johns from an riocht.
nil satis nisi optimum

whitegoodman

Did he play in the full forward line at underage level?  I always considered him as a roaming wing half forward but full forward could be an option.  I don't think McCurry will start him at the start of the national league and will gradually introduce him.

As for the firt league team it's anyone's guess

Kane
O Hagen
Howard
Collins
Turley
Mcardle
Garvey
Fitzpatrick
Turley
R Johnston
Devlin
Mckernan
Laverty
Mcconville
O Hare

With jerome, mooney and Poland to introduce.  O hares form has improved which is why I think he wil get in ahead of Johnston. It looks like he might operate McKernan at 12 playing a sweeper role. 

We could really do with getting big Dan back but he won't be there at the start of the league anyway so we must o with what we have.

When the point lads come back in McCartan, Mallon and mcgary won't be far away either.

Line Ball

Quote from: thewobbler on January 15, 2015, 05:36:39 PM
I'm not really sure where some of the ideas above about Mooney have come from. Unless he's had a brain and personality transplant since he went to Oz, he's never going to play as a midfielder of a box-to-box forward.

He doesn't touch the ball often. Never did, not even at club underage football. In the MacRory cup final when he scored 2 goals I genuinely doubt if he touched the ball 10 times. But that's his game: lay hands on it 10 times, bag 2-3 from it.

We should be thinking Benny Coulter's replacement here lads. Anything else is wistful. If he delivers half of what Benny did in that role, he'll be doing alright.

Thats a bit rough Wobbler.  What age was he when he went to Oz, 18 or 19 but he has obviously done something to annoy you? 

The difficulty is find his best position and it seems to be the same problem with Madine.  His is being played all over the place, HB, MF, HF & FF lines but nothing long enough to make an impact.  Mc Corry (and not Mc Curry Whitegoodman, I think you know this) is facing problems with the likes of Mc Kernan,Mooney and Madine, not knowing where to get the best out of them.  I am also not convinced about Paul Devlin.  A decent club player who has never really done it at county level.  Mc Corry might be able to get the best out of him as he knows him well and will give him plenty of chances but I don't think he will ever cut it at with Down.  Good to see O'Hare getting a bit of form back after a serious burst onto the scene a year or two ago but certainly quiet last year.  It would have been nice to get another game in the Mc Kenna Cup but can't see it happening now, our first NFL team selection v Kildare will be interesting.

whitegoodman

Yep my bad on McCorry, the old iPad picks up what it wants to pick up sometimes, sorry Jim.

We have a lot of options in some positions but very little in others.  For example the following could play the attacking midfielder role or wing forward role

McKernan
Mooney
R Johnston
Mallon

The following will be fighting for a corner forward spot

Laverty
O hare
J Johnston
McGarry

But then we have very few options for defensive midfielder, CHB and the full back line.

Line Ball

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 15, 2015, 07:26:24 PM
Yep my bad on McCorry, the old iPad picks up what it wants to pick up sometimes, sorry Jim.

We have a lot of options in some positions but very little in others.  For example the following could play the attacking midfielder role or wing forward role

McKernan
Mooney
R Johnston
Mallon

The following will be fighting for a corner forward spot

Laverty
O hare
J Johnston
McGarry

But then we have very few options for defensive midfielder, CHB and the full back line.

We haven't had a recognised CHB or FB for years.  That would be a decent starting point for the Mc Corry era.

urbangael

2 Johnstons, Poland and Mooney should all come into the starting 15 for the Kildare game. Lots of 'squad players' got their chance but few really made a big enough impact to be seriously considered. Midfield is a concern as no stand out candidates there! Not much to choose between the keepers but he needs to give someone a sustained run in the team and what they really need is a certain marty Clarke at no 6 to pull the strings

Highlander3

Quote from: SHEEDY on January 15, 2015, 05:49:53 PM

Hi Sheedy, is this to the co down St. John's ? Do you know why he is transferring?

SHEEDY

Quote from: Highlander3 on January 15, 2015, 09:10:51 PM

Hi Sheedy, is this to the co down St. John's ? Do you know why he is transferring?
yeah co down st johns. he lives near there after getting married, though he still played for kingdom last year while living in castlewellan area. plays soccer for castlewellan. he'll be a big miss for the kingdom.
nil satis nisi optimum

Highlander3

Quote from: SHEEDY on January 15, 2015, 09:18:54 PM
Quote from: Highlander3 on January 15, 2015, 09:10:51 PM

yeah co down st johns. he lives near there after getting married, though he still played for kingdom last year while living in castlewellan area. plays soccer for castlewellan. he'll be a big miss for the kingdom.

Will be a big plus for St. John's, they might have a chance in getting promotion this year