Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Don't think Aidan Carr would have the pace for full back.Imagine him coming up against Bradley or Cavanagh in the summer?Where are all our score coming from? The forward line would not be full of scores.All great players and lovely to watch and move the ball well but take away free kicks who does our scoring?Against Kildare last year very few of these forwards made an impact from play.

NP 76

The only one that made an impact isn't there this year. We haven't got many more have we

DuffleKing

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 09, 2015, 05:52:30 PM
Quote from: speculative on January 09, 2015, 04:02:49 PM
Most of these teams feature D O'Hare, am I the only one that thinks he needs to prove his worth this year after 2 mediocre years in a Down jersey?

Donal has the potential to be our best inside forward but on current form I would have him behind Laverty, jerome and mcgarry for a corner forward spot.

Whats with the canonisation of mcgarry of intermediate club football performances?
Has he ever done anything above that level to merit county consideration?

No1

Some shite in this thread the last few days. Give the new manager at least till the end of the National League before any kind of judgement is passed. Assess each player on how he performs and not on reputation.  Don't expect too much this year and see what happens. Who knows it could be 91 all over again!! Personally I'm gonna miss Benny C this season, a shining light in the darkness of the last 12 or 13 years. No one will entertain us like he did.

Smurfy123

Ross has proved himself to be the best player in ulster at his level and if things go well for us in a few weeks I think he will have proved to everyone that he is the best player in Ireland at his level.I know it is not senior level but if you are the best intermediate player in Ireland it should count for a starting place when he is back playing for Down.We have no ball winning forwards at present unless we stick with Madine at full forward but can't get round how badly exposed he was last year against Tyrone and Kildare.For what it's worth I think Down will have a great league this year and qualify as the second best team in it.Kildare are the only team that I would say are better than us.When we get everyone back after the McKenna cup we will have a very strong squad.Anyword when Gordan and Clarke will return to the squad?

Line Ball

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 10, 2015, 09:23:07 AM
Ross has proved himself to be the best player in ulster at his level and if things go well for us in a few weeks I think he will have proved to everyone that he is the best player in Ireland at his level.I know it is not senior level but if you are the best intermediate player in Ireland it should count for a starting place when he is back playing for Down.We have no ball winning forwards at present unless we stick with Madine at full forward but can't get round how badly exposed he was last year against Tyrone and Kildare.For what it's worth I think Down will have a great league this year and qualify as the second best team in it.Kildare are the only team that I would say are better than us.When we get everyone back after the McKenna cup we will have a very strong squad.Anyword when Gordan and Clarke will return to the squad?

That's some statement to be making about a player who has had one decent season behind him and a number of mediocre ones.  Is this the same player who was too tired to play for his club in the playoffs last year?  All of a sudden he is the saviour of Down.  I'll believe it when I see it.  I think you should take off your Warrenpoint coloured glasses.  How did your U.21 team go today?

Leftmidfield

Point u21's beaten by St Eunans Donegal in extra time. St Eunans scored goal in last minute of normal time to level. Point didn't score at all in extra time. 1.8 to 0.9 final score

Smurfy123

Yes we were beaten today.What club are you from exactly?
We had an off season last year from top to bottom and you single out 1 player.I think we have proved that was a one off.

Line Ball

You're the boy that started talking about him, not me.  You have put him up on the pedestal, I only mentioned his attitude from last year when he couldn't be bothered playing for his club when they needed him most.

As for last season being a one off, it remains to be seen whether this year is a one off as well.

Smurfy123

I originally just mentioned that he was good enough to start for Down.What playoffs are you talking about?You do a lot of talking on this without ever making a genuine point.

supersub

::)

2015 will be an interesting one.

Shamrocks Gaelp

Mooney lined out at midfield for Jordanstown when the beat Cavan last night, just as discussed a few days ago. UUJ clearly just integrating him back into the game by trying him in different positions.

Smurfy123

He has to start in midfield against Kildare.Any thoughts on today's game?Team announced yet?

Mourne Rover

Last week, the team was named via Twitter and Facebook the day before the game. There is no sign of a  line-up yet for today's match, which is disappointing.

Dubh driocht

I hope I'm wrong but I would be surprised if we get out of Clones today with anything. If Cavan can't beat a UUJ team finding their feet then they are not great, as I suspected last week. Fair play to the lads who have committed to the red and black cause but even if Mc Corry trains them as often as he wants we will still need the quality and physical presence of the lads not in the panel yet.
Reading about John Galvin's decision to retire, and the credit he is rightly getting for making such a commitment to a team which is really part of the second tier counties who realistically won't win an All Ireland made me think- are we in that group ?