Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebar

Quote from: PAULD123 on December 02, 2014, 01:01:41 AM
It's unfair to say that anyone could have won three championships with Kilcoo. Firstly I don't even think the statement is valid to begin with. There are only 3 quality sides in Down but there are three of them. Secondly and more importantly, it is not that he won the championships it is more about how they won them. His Kilcoo side totally outclassed the rest of the best of the county by some margin. maybe your granny would win most of her games in charge of Kilcoo but I doubt she would win a county final by 11 points against Burren.

Whether he is the man to revive the fortunes of the county still is something we wait to see. But it is unfair to imply he has done nothing to earn the chance.

One thing I do think though is that he will need Marty Clarke if we are to have any realistic chance in Ulster

I dont think it's unfair in the least to say anyone could have won 3 championships with Kilcoo, they have been a good bit ahead of all club teams in Down for a while and that Burren team in final was a poor shadow of previous Burren teams from only a few years ago. Any decent manager would have won the same if not more with that team.

speculative

Ridiculous to say that Kilcoo were sho-ins for the Championships they've won. If McCorry had of been manager of any of the Big 4 the past few years they would have won 3 in a row. He took a club that were invariably "also-rans" and turned them into one of the best club teams in Ulster.

thebar

Quote from: speculative on December 02, 2014, 03:36:27 PM
Ridiculous to say that Kilcoo were sho-ins for the Championships they've won. If McCorry had of been manager of any of the Big 4 the past few years they would have won 3 in a row. He took a club that were invariably "also-rans" and turned them into one of the best club teams in Ulster.

Sorry but cant agree with you there was no team in Down on par with Kilcoo this year with or without McCorry...your telling me if McCorry had of been managing Burren in the final they would have won? I just cant see it myself.

speculative

What about Mayobridge? Many thought, myself including, they were worthy of a victory in the semi-final this year. Maybe not this year, but I'd say with almost certainty if he took Burren in last years Championship final there would have only been one winner. Also his tactical masterclass last year with his half time changes v The Bridge again got them over a difficult hurdle.

I think we will see his worth this year with his absence from Kilcoo

Shamrocks Gaelp

Danny Hughe's irish news column today suggests that Ambrose Rogers is gone. Any truth to this ?

downup

Didn't get to the match in Newry yesterday, any reports?

Ed Hardy

Was surprised at the low turn out given the game was for such a good cause.. was very much like in house training game for Down. Best on show I thought were. Benny, Laverty,  Ryan and Jerome J.  Packie Downey, and G Collins also impressive. Any chance that D. Branagan will join up with the county sq? Could definitely do with him.

elk

just seen the u21 panel cant believe there are no kingdom lads included

Shamrocks Gaelp

Carmen Stateside

Great to see Packie Downeys name, Great player and even better person.  Was unstoppable out here in NY for a couple of summers.  Any word is Big Art Mc Conville back on scene?

DownFanatic

Quote from: elk on December 20, 2014, 10:10:40 PM
just seen the u21 panel cant believe there are no kingdom lads included

Lot of boys that started on 2012 minor team not on U21 panel.

Leftmidfield

Where did you boys see the u21 panel ?

SHEEDY

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on December 21, 2014, 02:36:35 AM
Great to see Packie Downeys name, Great player and even better person.  Was unstoppable out here in NY for a couple of summers.  Any word is Big Art Mc Conville back on scene?
yeah big Arthur is back on the panel and apparently going well.
nil satis nisi optimum

Carmen Stateside

Great to hear that Sheedy. Another great fella.  Would Down operate him as a target man?

elk