Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

An emphatic third quarter, two disastrous mistakes by Cathal Murdoch and another virtuoso performance by mom Conor Laverty made it an embarrassing day for Burren. They had no half forward line and although they got two fine goals from O'Hare and Toner, Kilcoo were hungrier all over the field. I hope they give Ulster a good rattle but it was clear that Frank O'Hare was a minimum requirement for McCorry. Someone behind us asked who should replace him; his mate suggested Jim Mc Guinness. It tells you all you need to know about Kilcoo that the mate wasn't joking.

Dubh driocht

As Iain Dowie would say, it's like deja vu all over again
Quote from: Dubh driocht on October 20, 2013, 07:35:29 PM
Paddy Clarke ha ha ha, as they say in Kilcoo.Burren were tactically inept and badly short on the hunger front too. With a strong breeze in the first half, to continue to pump in high balls to Eoin Mc Cartan was playing in to the hands (literally) of the Kilcoo full-back line.For me, Kilcoo won the game in the first half as they were much sharper and were unlucky not to go in further ahead when Daragh O'Hanlon's shot came back off the upright.Gerard Mc Cartan did a good job on Laverty but the Burren half-forward line continually won good ball before coughing up possession too easily- credit to the Magpies.Burren were a bit more composed in the third quarter , with the Mc Ardles almost alone in realising that they had to do more than just turn up to regain Frank O'Hare. However, O'Hanlon, Laverty and the Devlins finished strongly and deserved to retain the title although I don't see them being as close to Cross this year. Decent crowd in Newry- good organisation bar the PA ( again, again, again) but poor game.

charlieTully

cracking first half, after a strong start from kilcoo burren got stuck in and were unlucky to go in a point down, great start to the second from the magpies with Laverty and Jerome kicking two sublime points. I felt the turning point was when O'Hare had a goal chance saved, and unfortunately two goal keeping errors didn't help although its very unlikely the outcome would have been any different, kilcoo were outstanding in the second half, the burren defense were carved open for ryan johnstone goal, lavertys goal was sublime, my only fear for kilcoo in ulster was the number of goal chances burren did create. good luck to them in ulster, they are the best in down by a country mile.
ps thought the ref had a decent enough game. only glaring error was no action taken after one of the brannigans gave ohare a backhander.

Mourne Rover

Kilcoo were a credit to their manager, and we could be in for an interesting time if he can sent out a county side as well organised as his club team were today. The cautionary note for Kilcoo in the Ulster championship was that Burren, apart from a spell in the middle of the first half, were amazingly poor. They had no leadership, it was very hard to see what their game plan was and they had effectively thrown in the towel with a quarter of the match still left.

However, Kilcoo will not worry about that and they are not going to fear any of the clubs in the provincial series. Their midfield is fairly ordinary but their defence is impressive and their attack has a touch of class. The star was of course Conor Laverty and he might well claim a touch for the fourth goal. However, his other goal was a thing of beauty. When he caught the ball on the edge of the square, he was cool enough to take his time, allow both the keeper and the full back to commit themselves, dance round both tackles and plant the ball in the net.

He will not get as much space further down the line but the way in which he brings his team-mates into the play is a joy to watch. Although Down clubs have a very poor record in the Ulster championship over the last quarter of a century, Kilcoo will given anyone a game this autumn.

PAULD123

Kilcoo have a great attitude to defending, they are tenacious and ferocious but I would query the statement that they have a good defence. Mayobridge and Burren both carved them open on many occasions. The half back line is a major asset but it is clear the full back line is allowing a route to goal. (Surprising when the full back is on of the best defenders in Down). If they keep allowing teams that much opportunity it will eventually lead to them being punished.

However today they were fantastic going forward and by far the best team in the county. They totally deserved to win. I hope they can bring an Ulster title back to Down.

By the way I have to say I thought the referee put in one of the best displays I have seen all season. Kilcoo matches are always difficult to referee but I thought he did and excellent job of allowing the game to flow but also making teh correct calls when needed on frees.

Mourne Rover

It's a fair point that Kilcoo have had a tendency to concede goals in their last two matches which could prove fatal against better opposition. However, while both of the Burren goals today were brilliant finishes, Kilcoo pulled the shutters down very effectively for most of the match. When the game was up for grabs in the second half, the Toner goal was the only score Burren managed from play or frees for about 20 minutes. The Kilcoo defence may not be the biggest or the strongest around, but it is very well organised.

Town Gael

Can't say I agree that the ref had a good game. He was weak in dealing with several black card offences - he showed no bottle and how he didn't give Burren a penalty and Brannagan a red card for taking out O'Hare is beyond me. His umpires should share the blame for that one too. Thankfully he didn't effect the result as Kilcoo were far superior in the second half and would have won anyway but I wouldn't want him in charge of another big game.

pauly2

I wonder what game some of you people were at when you say the referee was good.  Even Paddy Heaney in todays irish news says he missed blatant black card calls throughout the game.  I hope this man never gets another final.  A good weekend again though for east down with the ford winning the league and Kilcoo the championship.  Burren were outclassed for the majority of the game and can have no gripes with the final result.  Two goalkeeping errors were very costly but the third quarter play from Kilcoo was outstanding.  Ryan Johnston showed yesterday that he oozes class on the big stage and hopefully Jim can get the best out of him for the county.

Rodders88

First of all reference Danny Hughes column in the Irish News on Friday. Think Danny is trying to go down the Joe Brolly route in being controversial. He's trying to build up a media profile and will be loving people talking about his column.  So job done.

County board seems to be a running joke. They can't even afford to pay the caterers, who I hear are owed a very large some of money. How long will it be util they go looking to Croke Park for a hand out? If they were a business, they would have been closed down a long time ago. There are people within the county board who are getting very well paid and are doing a terrible job. When will they be held accountable for this?

Kilcoo were in a different class yesterday. Conor Laverty and Ryan Johnston were the two best players on the pitch. Laverty was a joy to watch, was there ever a better goal scored in Pairc Esler? The ball into Laverty from James McLean was top class and and then Laverty done the rest! Big question now is how will Kilcoo fair next year with McCorry going to the county. Can they go four in row?

Burren were very poor yesterday. When Kilcoo upped the intensity in the 2nd half they didn't want to know. The seemed to throw in the towel, which is very unlike a Burren team. Had no leaders to step up and take it to Kilcoo. Was very disappointed in Kevin McKernan, you wouldn't have thought he was playing yesterday. Think Burren needa go in house for their next manager, I'd say Sean Ward will be the man for the job. 

Feckitt

Ryan Johnston is some player, and is worth the entrance fee by himself.  Absolutely brilliant when running with the ball.

Bigness is a scary looking hoor.

I agree that the Laverty goal was one of the greatest ever in a championship final.

Anton McArdle is a huge miss for Burren.

At the end of the game, all the Kilcoo people were standing in the rain, waiting and waiting and waiting for the cup to be lifted but had to endure the official's speech, even though the PA system wasn't working.  Some people have no cop on at all!

Rodders88

Imagine...noting harsh about it...town and country knows about it. County board is broke. Read Danny's column from Friday, he mentions it in there. 

bridgegael

Any update on the burren minor who got hurt yesterday
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Maurice Moss

Very proud Magpie today! Hopefully we can give Ulster a brave rattle now with Clontibret our next opponents.

Haven't heard anything more on the injury sustained by the Burren minor but do hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

speculative

Kilcoo were outstanding yesterday, bar a 10 minute blip in the first half when they let Burren back into the game, they dominated. Burren's ineffectiveness on the line was staggering. Kilcoo's strength is flying forward from their half back line, how did Paddy Carr think that Foy and Murdock were gonna be effective against O'Hanlon and Co? Burren needed to bring a similar template the 'Bridge brought to even remotely stand a chance.

It will be interesting to see how Kilcoo will fair in Ulster. Head and heart say they will come up short again. It took them 180 mins to dispose of a depleted Crossmaglen last season and I can't see them posing a serious threat up against the same this year. They just seem to be that wee bit short of Ballinderry and Cross for me.

How will they fare next year without McCorry? Bridge are the only team who have looked capable of beating them this season.

guevara

As a neutral at Yesterday's game I have to say I was disappointed in how poor Burren were. As someone has already pointed out absolutely no leadership and carrying too many passengers. Kilcoo looked physically dominant in terms of size and it showed.
Lavery was the best player on show and was a joy to watch, always showing for the ball and is completely unselfish. Ryan Johnston offered Kilcoo the ball carrier required to draw Burren to the ball and he done this all day long.

On the other hand Burren's big men all disappeared. McKernan was none existent, O'Hare was the opposite to Lavery, playing off the shoulder of Brannigan awaiting a mistake instead of getting out in front. Eamonn Toner was the only Burren player Kilcoo seemed to fear.

For all the talk of the athletes Burren have, Kilcoo simply bullied them and then outran them. In Midfield Kilcoo were happy to break and then pick up 9/10 breaking balls. Burren will have better days but in all honesty their team looked like it was packed full of Young Fellas not up to the physicality that Kilcoo bring. A perfect example of this was their Half Forward line.

I agree that Burren need to look In House for a new Manager. The days of splashing ridiculous sums on outsiders are making them look all the more foolish after Yesterday's drubbing and in all honesty it could have been more.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan