Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down Follower

Quote from: passedit on September 18, 2014, 04:43:05 PM
Quote from: NP 76 on September 18, 2014, 04:10:35 PM
Was the reason destination Newry not allowed to show games not something to do with tg4 having rights to the club championships and ladies football I thought that was the case

How come Armagh can show their games then?

Yeh its dissapointing that they arent on. Some of the group games were on and indeed some Intermediate games. DN also advertised at the time that they would indeed be showing the remaining SFC games. Something happened to change all that!!

SHEEDY

the provisional fixture list for the 2015 national league have been released.

down will play;

sun feb 1    Kildare away
sat feb 7     Roscommon home
sat feb 28   cavan away
sun mar 8   galway home
sun mar 15 Westmeath away
sat mar 28  meath home
sun apr 5    laois home
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

The county board has confirmed Jim McCorry as our new senior manager and all Down supporters will wish him the best of luck.

behind the wire

He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Town Gael

I heard Shorty Trainor is a selector- has done well with the Town and if the Burren job isn't available to him why not?

DownFanatic

Sound appointment. Comes with the advantage that he knows the best players in the county and thus won't need to scour the county for months.
League promotion and a stab at the Ulster final would be the obvious 2015 targets.

Mourne Rover

McCorry may see an immediate opportunity when he looks at the provisional league fixtures as posted by Sheedy above. We have four home games, avoiding some dodgy long trips along the way. Our first match is away to Kildare, and the last time that happened we went on to get promoted and make the AI final - at least we can dream of a repeat.

SHEEDY

best of luck to jim mccorry. hope everyone gets right behind him and we can see down football moving forward again.
nil satis nisi optimum

PAULD123

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 18, 2014, 09:59:29 PM
McCorry may see an immediate opportunity when he looks at the provisional league fixtures as posted by Sheedy above. We have four home games, avoiding some dodgy long trips along the way. Our first match is away to Kildare, and the last time that happened we went on to get promoted and make the AI final - at least we can dream of a repeat.

The last time we had that fixture a special player returned from Aussie rules football to lead Down to victory in Newbridge. This time round maybe we will have two of them playing for us!!

Pangurban

Wish the new Manager every success and support. However i cannot understand the enthusiasm for his appointment. His CV is not that impressive.Won County championships with teams that would probably have won under any Manager. No success in the wider arena of the Ulster Club Championship.No experience of County management. Hopefully he  may prove to be an excellent appointment, though i say that more in hope than expectation

east down gael

You'd need to seriously re-evaluate that statement pangurban.has had great success with club teams in down,turned kilcoo from down contenders into ulster contenders.
   As for inter county experience,McGrath,o'rourke,carr/DJ and mccartan had none.mccrory does actually have experience,albeit from quite a long time ago.

PAULD123

Quote from: Pangurban on September 19, 2014, 02:18:46 AM
Wish the new Manager every success and support. However i cannot understand the enthusiasm for his appointment. His CV is not that impressive.Won County championships with teams that would probably have won under any Manager. No success in the wider arena of the Ulster Club Championship.No experience of County management. Hopefully he  may prove to be an excellent appointment, though i say that more in hope than expectation

I think you should get a copy of his CV and re-asses your statements.

His achievement in turning Kilcoo from rural also-rans into Ulster finalists is remarkable. And as for no success in Ulster - His team has beaten St Galls and Crossmaglen, both recent All-Ireland champions (and before last year, the only teams to win Ulster in a decade). How many mangers have beaten Cross in Ulster in the last 8 years. Two, and yep, McCorry is one of them.

Now that's not to mention getting Armagh to a National Football Laegue final (no county management experience!!!)

thebar

Quote from: PAULD123 on September 19, 2014, 06:44:30 AM
Quote from: Pangurban on September 19, 2014, 02:18:46 AM

I think you should get a copy of his CV and re-asses your statements.

His achievement in turning Kilcoo from rural also-rans into Ulster finalists is remarkable. And as for no success in Ulster - His team has beaten St Galls and Crossmaglen, both recent All-Ireland champions (and before last year, the only teams to win Ulster in a decade). How many mangers have beaten Cross in Ulster in the last 8 years. Two, and yep, McCorry is one of them.

Now that's not to mention getting Armagh to a National Football Laegue final (no county management experience!!!)

PaulD123 in fairness Pangurban speaks some truth in that Kilcoo were far from rural also-rans when McCorry came in. If you know anything then you'll know that team that been building for 10-20 years before hand at underage levels and were ready to make the next step, any decent manager at all would have got that team to were they are today so in my eyes there is nothing remarkable in what McCorry has done with them, infact it would have been a sin if he couldn't have got out of them what he has....still wish the man well for Down though I think it's an uphill task at the moment for anyone. 

speculative

To suggest that "any manager would have won with Kilcoo" is the height of idiocy. People have short memories, McCorry was an integral part in forming Mayobridge into the powerhouse they were during the 00's and was the man who broke their quest for 6 in a row (Mayobridge had won the SFC, MFC and PRFC the year previous). He has taken a team that on paper are not a world-beaters and made them a dominant force in Down. I would argue that Kilcoo have the 3rd/4th strongest panel within the county but yet have won 3 of the previous 5 Championships. McCorry's influence cannot be over estimated, if any of the top 5 teams in the county had McCorry as a manger they would win the Championship. A great appointment, as I said previously there is no better man for the job.