Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on September 04, 2014, 03:52:22 PM
So which of all those guys will do the donkey work?
Will they all perform the defensive role? Will they all be the spoiler, the guy that does the dirty work?

Youre having a laugh.
You have just dismissed off-hand one of Down's most consistent performers of recent times.
He may have played his best games for Down but your tone is a bit disrespectful.

Conor Toner needs a full club season under his belt without injury. He has the potential.
Anton McArdle doesn't exist until he lives and plays on this island regularly, a non-discussion.
Benny Coulter is 32 and has played his whole career as an attacking threat. You think he could carry out King's role? Really?
Kevin McKernan has the athleticism but are we willing to sacrifice his dynamism going forward and ask him to carry out a defensive role? We know he cant defend but yet you think he would carry out King's role better?
Is there anyone else in Burren we are missing?
Bang on the money BT. Peter Turley had a good year for Down but the comparison between King and Gallagher is fair enough. Kalum does the simple things well which often goes unseen but his absence was significant this year.
The McEntee appointment is a bit surprising. He is a class act but big jump to county football. Also it is in the DNA of Cross men to hate Down; read Oisin's book and also look at Paudie Hughes's call on that ball that was two yards wide again Kildare- great people but they hate us. On the plus side he has no baggage, unlike Mc Corry. His backroom team will be interesting, I would keep Moyna but I don't think JJ and Burns will work together again. MC ,and to a lesser extent Mooney, changes things big time so interesting times ahead.

armaghniac

Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 05, 2014, 12:04:53 AM
Also it is in the DNA of Cross men to hate Down; read Oisin's book and also look at Paudie Hughes's call on that ball that was two yards wide again Kildare- great people but they hate us.

Not often I agree with a Down person.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ardtole

If McEntee is confirmed today it will have been the best possible candidate available to us. Well done to all involved. The return of Clarke and Mooney surely helped.

speculative

Brick, you clearly didn't read my post, why do we need a defensive spoiler? Why do we need someone who can just do the basics? McKernan and Gordon in midfield gives a far better balance to the team than any other pairing we have. King has a lot of limitations, McKernan has few. Pretty simple lads.

NP 76

Neither Mc Kernan or Gordon will track back at least in my opinion king knows his limits and defends the centre. King wins a lot of ball around the middle by turnovers he then gives it to a more able man who spreads the play imagine the difference if that man was Clarke kicking it in early before a defence got set up to the space in front of mooney and Mc comiskey suddenly the structure of the team has changed. Any time we get the ball our players automatically look back to pass it.

Brick Tamlin

Yeah its black and white. Completely simple. What was I thinking.
So our defence is well capable of holding the best forward lines on their own, on a man-to-man duel?
We don't need a defensive presence or backup to supplement the defence and cover for them?
There is no need for a stopper or an enforcer to mop up dirty ball, turnover possessions, make tackles and hits, dispossess and disturb opposing attacks, gain primary possessions and play the simple balls well?
We clearly already have a team full of players who thrive in those areas and are adept at those arts.

Catch yourself on.
Youre comparing King & McKernan too which is laughable.

Aristo 60

Men,

Let the new manager decide on our midfield.

Down Follower

McEntee - Good candidate with track record of success and a firm view on a game plan.  His game plan may not work for Down as our players are different to the Crossmaglen team he had.  But if it does work, we are in for some journey.

SHEEDY

results from tonights championship matches;

IFC bredagh1-5 an riocht 0-10
JFC st pauls 6-11 killyleah 3-12
SFC longstone 1-11 saval 1-10
JFC kilclief 3-10 dromara 0-10
nil satis nisi optimum

downjim

It was Pete McGraths fault they said!! Who will the perenial chokers blame now?All the talent in the world counts for nothing if you're windy ;)

bcarrier

You are lucky you didn't live pre 81 down jim.

supersub

You've been watching too many Facebook videos DJ  ;)

thebar

Was at the Bridge v Ford match and i take my hat off to the bridge..to a man they were the better and more hungry team. Would of had the Ford maybe slight favourites but in the end the bridge won easily enough. No one will fancy them in the championship now and showed to many there is still life in this team yet with a good mix of youth and experience. Bryansford looked very out of sorts and I was surprised at the team they had out and the position of some of the players. When changes were required they weren't forth coming until it was to late when the bench was emptied more in hope than plan. That's an issue for the management who must accept there share of blame on their part... So its back to the drawing board for the Ford and onwards for the bridge..could there be one more championship for this Bridge team or were they made look better than they are? Time will tell...

elk

Fair play to the Bridge and their management team, they out played and managed Bryansford and if they perform at this level in the semi's they will be hard to overcome. Their seasoned players still certainly have an appetite for the game. First match between Saul v CPN was less entertaining with CPN dominating the whole game. Decent young team, will be interesting to see how they perform in the 1st division next year - will be hard to beat in this years Intermediate championship.