Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NP 76

If people didn't commit we would have no county team at all in my opinion that's nonsense
And for you to say it's alright for Costello to committ to 3-4 nights running from Belfast to Newry because he really has nothing to play for at club level that is unbelievable. If that was the case why is the team not all made up with lads from the all the other clubs you haven't mentioned. The ones who have no aspirations to win the championship

PAULD123

"James McCartan has come up with a 'radical' plan to overhaul the Ulster SFC - and generate additional income at the same time. Speaking to the Irish News, the Mourne County boss proposed a Champions League style format of two groups divided into five and four teams.

"Look, if Ulster wants to be radical, take a step forward yet still retain their Ulster Championship, they could run with a group of five and a group of four - in the group of five everybody gets four games, in the group of four everybody gets three, and there are semi-finals and a final.

"There'd be loads of games, you'd play every week, you don't wait for a month to play your next match. It would actually make more room for the clubs if you're playing every week, and more inter-county football for inter-county players."

The additional revenue would be an added bonus for counties, he added, and would greatly assist in upgrading county grounds throughout the province.

"Another reason for that is that our county ground went donkey's years without a home Championship draw - and they can't get the money to do up the place. I just think it would make financial sense - you'd be guaranteed at least one home game a year, if not two.  You'd know, "We're going to get a certain amount of income from that, we can spend it on the ground'. To me, it's win-win-win. "

It is great to hear that  a manager is finally backing up the sort of things supporters have been saying for some time. This would go some way to solving the commitment issue for the younger players. If there are lots of games there is more opportunity to play the entire squad. Players deserve a reward for their commitment and the reward they want most is not payment but just time on the pitch. but with so few games to be offered there is a limited opportunity to give them game time.

I think provinces and All Ireland should be fully separate. Play a champions league style provincial championship over 6 weeks then a completely separate champions league style All-Ireland over the next 8 weeks or so. (The final provincial placing used only to create seedings for the AI draw) That way there would be around 9-10 championship games total guaranteed. that would be plenty to give lots of lads a chance.

speculative

NP you've clearly missed my point. Being on the Down Senior Intercounty Panel will more than likely be the pinnacle in Costello's career, whereas Savage and Co have greater aspirations than just sitting on the bench and not getting a chance. They quite clearly are putting their club aspirations first and I for one couldn't blame them considering the track record of Down managements failure to give them a chance. A competitive panel of players is only bred by the managements ability; to keep everyone interested and to make tough decisions regarding selection.

NP 76

Speculative you seem to be missing my point so we will agree to disagree on this one

Brick Tamlin

Speculative you are being more than disingenuous to Owen Costello.
You have no idea what the pinnacle of any footballer's playing career would be.

speculative

Hardly disingenuous to suggest that for Costello or anyone like him (playing for a middle of the road intermediate club) that playing for Down will be the pinnacle of his club/county career so far. I'm not in any way trying to run down Costello here, I think he's a decent player and worth his place on the panel, etc. My point is that he will commit because his club have no serious ambitions at silverware, (lets call a spade a spade) whereas the other lads whose club DO have credible claims to winning Championships will not see the benefit of slogging it out for 2/3 years on the bench waiting for a chance. It's hardly a contentious point.

The facts speak for themselves;

12 players from "top 4" clubs on Down Panel, 10 see regular game time, 7 are nailed on starters, whereas the other 2 have had sub appearances in league and champ. Compare that to the start of the year where there were in and around 19/20 players from the same clubs on the panel. Too many absentees for it to be coincidence or unwillingness to put the "hard work" in.

knockitdown

Quote from: speculative on July 04, 2014, 12:30:59 PM
Hardly disingenuous to suggest that for Costello or anyone like him (playing for a middle of the road intermediate club) that playing for Down will be the pinnacle of his club/county career so far. I'm not in any way trying to run down Costello here, I think he's a decent player and worth his place on the panel, etc. My point is that he will commit because his club have no serious ambitions at silverware, (lets call a spade a spade) whereas the other lads whose club DO have credible claims to winning Championships will not see the benefit of slogging it out for 2/3 years on the bench waiting for a chance. It's hardly a contentious point.

The facts speak for themselves;

12 players from "top 4" clubs on Down Panel, 10 see regular game time, 7 are nailed on starters, whereas the other 2 have had sub appearances in league and champ. Compare that to the start of the year where there were in and around 19/20 players from the same clubs on the panel. Too many absentees for it to be coincidence or unwillingness to put the "hard work" in.

Does the junior and intermediate championship not count as silverware? Last time I checked there was a trophy for winning them.

I think most if not all players would rather win a championship with their club than get a runout on a down team that hasnt won anything in a long time, and with no sign of that changing in the future.

speculative

Knockitdown, well considering there is no Junior player on the panel, we can remove that from the argument. Secondly, the teams competing for an intermediate title i.e. the current top 4 of div 2 have only 2 players on the senior panel (as far as I am aware); Ryan Boyle and Liam Devlin from Clann Na Banna.

I agree, players will always consider their clubs over a place on a Down Senior Panel, especially if they have a chance of winning something

Corner Forward

Quote from: speculative on July 04, 2014, 01:10:39 PM
Knockitdown, well considering there is no Junior player on the panel, we can remove that from the argument. Secondly, the teams competing for an intermediate title i.e. the current top 4 of div 2 have only 2 players on the senior panel (as far as I am aware); Ryan Boyle and Liam Devlin from Clann Na Banna.

I agree, players will always consider their clubs over a place on a Down Senior Panel, especially if they have a chance of winning something

Ciaran McCarten is he not from Warrenpoint? It is quite well known that in recent months the Down management have approached a number of players who play in the lower leagues to join the panel, yet they have refused and continue to play for their club, therefore your argument that those playing in the lower divisions would jump at the chance to play for the county is incorrect.

downjim

What happened the Magpies last night?? They might struggle to make the top three now ?
Starred fixtures must really hurt them.

The Raven

By all accounts Kilcoo were beat by the better team on the night

elk

must be a poor team without their county players

Mid Down Gael

When you consider Kilcoo where minus not only 4 county players but also 4 other certain starters you will realise that's half a team out. Kilcoo are in championship training at present, I seen the days where we took all in front of us in the league, but Jim McCorry tailors kilcoos needs so that They peak at the correct time now, as evidence of the last number of years proves. Medals where not given out on Friday night!

washed_up

5 Sams

Well lads. What do we do now? That was brutal today. Benny best player and him on one leg? It would break your heart watching our boys.
The Aristocrat Years