Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

Conor does what he does because he cares; whether Kilcoo or Down. He single handedly brought us back from the dead against Monaghan two years ago and his influence ,with his clubmates did the same today. Hope our injured men recover for Saturday, looks like we'll need big Dan. Up Down

Pangurban

Conor Lavery was magnificent today, and any Down supporter bad mouthing him is beneath contempt. Having said that ,why were Down so negative in the first half. It is clear from all our games  that we are better when attacking, yet we continually sit back and allow teams to come onto us and dictate the pace of the game. Allowing for the weather our handling and passing in the first half was atrocious, particularly in defence. But onwards and upwards, home advantage and hopefully a seventy minute attacking performance could see us through

Oglach

Laverty's punch is generating some chat! Unreal, The ref booked him for it so obviously seen it. Cavanagh is a big boy and should be fit to handle a guy like Conor.
Down were very good in second half but there is room for improvement all over.

urbangael

couple of defenders needed for next sat. Boyle not at the races today and Dan McCartan roasted.... again!!!

Gabriel

If you'd been offered a chance to play Tyrone in Newry after the draw was announced last year, you'd have taken it in a second. Should have closed out the game, but a draw was more than I expected at 2-9 to 1-5. Full credit to Down for pulling that one out of the fire. Thought Carr, Maginn, Laverty, McKernan and Madine really stood up in the second half. Coulter single-handedly turned the game on its head, best player on the pitch by a country mile. We need a better showing at midfield next week and he might be a good option from the start. Boyle is not a natural defender and looked jittery today, Costello or Turley might be better options.

Tyrone are definitely there for the taking if we get a big crowd behind the team in Newry. Over the past few seasons we've beaten Dublin, Donegal and Mayo there. Hopefully we'll be able to attack from the off and take the game to Tyrone - this conservative defensive style of football is incredibly demoralising and reaps virtually no scores from play. The free that Donal O'Hare missed at the end is the kind of chance he could take in his sleep, but he shouldn't be too downtrodden about it - he played well and shows signs of being a really classy footballer.

There's a big incentive for Down to win the replay with a home draw against Monaghan awaiting.

Mid Down Gael

Our fella, your a big lad behind the computer screen. Ya wouldn't have the balls to say it to the mans face I know that. But what I do see here is nothing but jealousy for the best club and county footballer in Down this 4 years! Laverty was immense today as he always is and gives all for his county. So I advise you to put up or shut up and get begind players giveing their all for the Down cause.
Be best to remove your post if u had any gumption.
Other than that well done to Down on a wonderful second half showing where the impact from the bench was superb. Benny and Ryan and to a lesser extent Liam and Jerome all played huge roles.
Kevy and Lav where once again superb, two of the most competitive and committed players we have.
James Mccartan deserves special mention for the changes he made.

our_fella

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on May 18, 2014, 10:42:18 PM
Our fella, your a big lad behind the computer screen. Ya wouldn't have the balls to say it to the mans face I know that. But what I do see here is nothing but jealousy for the best club and county footballer in Down this 4 years! Laverty was immense today as he always is and gives all for his county. So I advise you to put up or shut up and get begind players giveing their all for the Down cause.
Be best to remove your post if u had any gumption.
Other than that well done to Down on a wonderful second half showing where the impact from the bench was superb. Benny and Ryan and to a lesser extent Liam and Jerome all played huge roles.
Kevy and Lav where once again superb, two of the most competitive and committed players we have.
James Mccartan deserves special mention for the changes he made.

Contrary to your belief, i have came up against him many times, and tell him every time what he really is.. Cheap digs + dives totally undoes all his good work. Im not in anyway denying he is a v.good football, but its his antics that give him a bad name. And im sure theres many people who would agree with me, especially defenders who've been conned by his diving

DownFanatic

Real enjoyment watching those last 15 minutes or so from our perspective. A 9 point swing nearly had it for us but a draw was a fair result.
McCartan's changes worked a treat at halftime. Ryan Johnston's bursts forward were a joy to watch. He just let the shackles off and ran and Tyrone panicked everytime.
Wee James probably faces a selection headache now for Saturday night such was the impact of Down's subs.
It was a great comeback and it provides huge hope for this weekend.

On a more negative note the result for the minors was extremely poor.
We were 15 points down at one stage in the second half and the 1-01 we got in injury time made it look semi respectable.
Shane Mulholland has three years at this grade and let's hope that with revised development squad structures and the unearthing of more talent he can start getting us back on track at minor level.

ardtole

I dont think James will have a selection headache at all regarding Ryan Johnson, he will have to come in for either Boyle or McCartan both of them struggled today, either of them will be lucky to start again particullary if Ohagan is fit, which is probably unlikely unfortunately.

Tyrone are definitley there for the taking, a few changes have to be made and I think they will. We will have a great crowd behind us, a good start would help too, I just think the pressure will be too much for some of the tyrone lads.

southdown

My biggest concern is midfield.  We were cleaned out for two thirds of the game.  Morgan will be back on Saturday and his kickouts cannot be understated as he seems to reach his man most of the time.

The subs, as has been said, changed the game completely.  O'Hares free was bad, but it was his goal that really brought the game to life.

I think James should throw caution to the wind, and go for all out attack, start Benny and start Ryan Johnston. 

bcarrier

McKernan driving forward and Benny doing plenty of leaping around the middle of the park is a good enough midfield option. Was disappointed in Turley yesterday- he didnt seem up to pace of the game at all. 

PAULD123

Turley is a good honest player. He gives his all, is a good fielder and makes the most of his physicality in defending. Unfortunately at the highest level of the game it can be seen that he just doesn't quite have the pace for the game and his ability to carry the ball or deliver accurate passes/shots is lacking. But do we really have better options:

Dan Gordon - Who knows if he will come back and if he will be up to the pace of championship football. Perhaps an option, but not really for now until he gets a good few weeks under his belt with the lads.

Ambrose - Clearly the injuries are taking their toll. Just does not have the pace to keep up with mobile midfields and cannot make bursting runs forward (made one scoring run and he looked jaded for a good few minutes after).

McKernan - Our best athlete and a fine player. Not the best fielder we have and certainly never the best at tracking back. Probably best at 12 but no doubt because of athleticism, experience and skills he must start somewhere, and has played a good few games in the middle for Down.

Benny - I think Benny's (magnificent) display in Omagh hides the truth of previous attempts to convert him into a county midfielder. He is a poor tackler and will give away frees, also not great at defending in the midfield area as he just wants to attack. In his spell at the middle on Sunday we were almost exclusively in an attack phase and that suited him well. It was a perfect time to bring him on and his play suited perfectly that situation.

The way I see it, we cannot expect 70 minutes from Benny, Ambrose, or Turley at midfield. Gordon probably isn't ready for 70 minutes yet either. Only McKernan is fit enough for a full game and even then he may be better used attacking from 12 and playing as a covering 3rd midfielder. I think instead of trying to pick which two will play midfield it should be a case of expecting 4 players to be used there over the course of the game and the management must get right exactly when those changes take place.

Down Follower

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 19, 2014, 11:32:35 AM
Turley is a good honest player. He gives his all, is a good fielder and makes the most of his physicality in defending. Unfortunately at the highest level of the game it can be seen that he just doesn't quite have the pace for the game and his ability to carry the ball or deliver accurate passes/shots is lacking. But do we really have better options:

Dan Gordon - Who knows if he will come back and if he will be up to the pace of championship football. Perhaps an option, but not really for now until he gets a good few weeks under his belt with the lads.

Ambrose - Clearly the injuries are taking their toll. Just does not have the pace to keep up with mobile midfields and cannot make bursting runs forward (made one scoring run and he looked jaded for a good few minutes after).

McKernan - Our best athlete and a fine player. Not the best fielder we have and certainly never the best at tracking back. Probably best at 12 but no doubt because of athleticism, experience and skills he must start somewhere, and has played a good few games in the middle for Down.

Benny - I think Benny's (magnificent) display in Omagh hides the truth of previous attempts to convert him into a county midfielder. He is a poor tackler and will give away frees, also not great at defending in the midfield area as he just wants to attack. In his spell at the middle on Sunday we were almost exclusively in an attack phase and that suited him well. It was a perfect time to bring him on and his play suited perfectly that situation.

The way I see it, we cannot expect 70 minutes from Benny, Ambrose, or Turley at midfield. Gordon probably isn't ready for 70 minutes yet either. Only McKernan is fit enough for a full game and even then he may be better used attacking from 12 and playing as a covering 3rd midfielder. I think instead of trying to pick which two will play midfield it should be a case of expecting 4 players to be used there over the course of the game and the management must get right exactly when those changes take place.

Some good thoughts there.  I think Turley will up his game next week now that he sees it isnt enough to just stop your man winning a ball - YOU also have to make an impact.  I can see him and Ambrose getting another go at starting the game with Benny held back until the game needs won in the second half again.

Pangurban

Put Ambrose at FF and drop high balls on top of that shaky Tyrone back line , allowing our forwards to feed of the breaks

whitegoodman

I would agree with a lot of what Paul says there.  I'd love to be in a position to put both Benny and Ambrose on after 40 mins, would give the crowd and the team an ulmighty lift. 

However no point doing that if the game is already out of sight.  The only way I could see it happening would be if Gordon was to start which would be extremely doubtful at this stage.  If I were James I'd be asking him to give everything for 40 mins and then bring on the Cavalry.

It shouldn't be underestimated how big a miss Garvey would be if as expected he is out of sat night.  Him and Rooney are James go to men and with O Hagan also out the options are limited.

Should also mention the two Johnstons.  I like a few around me was sceptical when both were brought on at half time but both had major impact on the game and it was a pity he got injured when he did.

Laverty is Laverty and even though I don't like some of the things he gets up to I would prefer to have him with me than against me.