Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel

It was utterly dismal stuff MR, particularly in the first half. Not sure whether our players viewed this fixture as a dead rubber, or if they were affected by the fact that they only came out onto the field five minutes before the start of the game, but there were countless losses of possession, basic handling errors, misplaced passes and defensive lapses. Kickouts were abysmal, with Laois winning virtually every single one, and we were probably lucky to only be 9 points down at half-time, if that can be believed.  A better team than Laois would have destroyed Down.

What started as a promising league campaign has ended a pretty mediocre one, after three dispiriting defeats in the last four games. The alarm bells may be ringing before Omagh, although we had a poor league last season and recovered well to beat Derry in the first round of the championship. We need to spend a lot of time working on our kickouts, as Laois won a massive amount of possession and scores from our own ones. Much work needed across all areas, however, if we are to be competitive against Tyrone.

Mourne Rover

The commentator on the local radio station in Laois had the same opinion as Gabriel and could not believe how bad Down were. He was very critical of Ambrose for not tracking back, but in fairness Ambrose is some way from match fitness after his long lay-off. The commentator also said that our kick-outs were dreadful and handed possession to Laois almost every time. McVeigh is a fine keeper but his kick-outs can be erratic. While Harrison is still on a learning curve, he can get more distance and accuracy into his clearances and may well be first choice for the championship.

It was a strange league campaign starting off with a display which went from awful to excellent against Monaghan, followed by a very impressive performance against Donegal and a couple of collapses away from home. If it had not been for Poland's injury time goal against Armagh, we would have been level on five points with Galway and got relegated through the head to head result, so the margins were tight.

The positives have been the development of Madine and the return to form of Maginn, who got another goal today, and we still have a hard-core of reliable individuals who are capable of putting it up to Tyrone in May. However, we could be doing with King back and the chances of Gordon being available do not look great.

Brick Tamlin

If what I'm hearing is true then King won't be back. Left the squad and concentrating on club this year. Gordon might not be back either. Wouldn't be pinning hopes on any of them returning.
On another note Rodgers is lucky to be on a field. . Is a bonus really if you consider his injury history this last while.
Despite what some say I don't believe mcveigh will be dislodged. He is still the best about. Kickouts are a shared responsibility in my eyes. Not just his fault all the time if they don't work.

southdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4i7me6p194&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Minors v Kildare in 1987,found this over the weekend.  I think James McCartan must have been around 16 I would say (could be wrong) at the time and ran rings around them all!

downjim

Why do Kilcoo seconds and thirds not play at the same time?

gaamann

Any thoughts on fri nights fixtures

Pangurban

Loughinisland to beat Castlewellan

Line Ball

Well, the County Board have pulled another one from left field.  Our leagues begin tomorrow night and they suddenly decide to change the dates of the games from Easter Tuesday to the Saturday before this, which is Easter Saturday!  Its not much notice for people who have made plans based on the fixtures which were released by CCC a number of weeks ago. The reason being:

CCC have  had  numerous  requests to change  Fixtures from Easter Tuesday to Easter Saturday. In light of these CCC has decided to change the entire League Programme, both Round 3 of Div's 1&2 and Round 7 for Div 3 from Tues April 22nd to Saturday April 19th. Throw-ins will be 4pm.

This means that in a 15 game league, 3 of them are played in the first week.  Talk about pure lunacy and not much importance to the average club player who deserves better than this.

T O Hare

I guarantee you 95% of the players will be happy with the changes!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

5 Sams

Quote from: Line Ball on April 10, 2014, 10:15:37 PM
Well, the County Board have pulled another one from left field.  Our leagues begin tomorrow night and they suddenly decide to change the dates of the games from Easter Tuesday to the Saturday before this, which is Easter Saturday!  Its not much notice for people who have made plans based on the fixtures which were released by CCC a number of weeks ago. The reason being:

CCC have  had  numerous  requests to change  Fixtures from Easter Tuesday to Easter Saturday. In light of these CCC has decided to change the entire League Programme, both Round 3 of Div's 1&2 and Round 7 for Div 3 from Tues April 22nd to Saturday April 19th. Throw-ins will be 4pm.

This means that in a 15 game league, 3 of them are played in the first week.  Talk about pure lunacy and not much importance to the average club player who deserves better than this.

In fairness Lineball I know for a fact that the lads making the fixtures were under serious pressure from quite a few clubs to change these games cos people had plans for Easter week. The likes of Paul Blaney and the CCC simply can't win in a situation like this. IMHO in this case they have taken the clubs requests on board and have acted accordingly. They have a thankless job to be honest.....and don't forget in most cases are taking all sorts of shit from club secretaries, managers, etc while working on a voluntary basis.
The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

Quote from: T O Hare on April 10, 2014, 10:24:49 PM

+1 . Delighted I'd say.
The Aristocrat Years

Line Ball

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 10, 2014, 10:29:03 PM

+1 . Delighted I'd say.
Quote from: 5 Sams on April 10, 2014, 10:28:20 PM

In fairness Lineball I know for a fact that the lads making the fixtures were under serious pressure from quite a few clubs to change these games cos people had plans for Easter week. The likes of Paul Blaney and the CCC simply can't win in a situation like this. IMHO in this case they have taken the clubs requests on board and have acted accordingly. They have a thankless job to be honest.....and don't forget in most cases are taking all sorts of shit from club secretaries, managers, etc while working on a voluntary basis.

From what I hear, your club was leading the charge for a change because Poacher has a few days holiday planned and was going to miss the Tuesday game.

I'm sure clubs have problems with some dates but why leave it so long to make the change, that is the issue I have.  Lads may have sorted a few days away, work shifts etc based on the original fixtures and may now have to try to get things changed for Easter Saturday.  The timing of this change is brutal.

T O Hare

I blame Poacher as well. It's always his fault.  ;)
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

Quote from: Line Ball on April 10, 2014, 10:40:28 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on April 10, 2014, 10:29:03 PM

+1 . Delighted I'd say.
Quote from: 5 Sams on April 10, 2014, 10:28:20 PM

From what I hear, your club was leading the charge for a change because Poacher has a few days holiday planned and was going to miss the Tuesday game.

I'm sure clubs have problems with some dates but why leave it so long to make the change, that is the issue I have.  Lads may have sorted a few days away, work shifts etc based on the original fixtures and may now have to try to get things changed for Easter Saturday.  The timing of this change is brutal.
I'd love to know what club you're with and their opinion on an Easter Tuesday fixture?
The Aristocrat Years