Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Quote from: charlieTully on April 02, 2014, 07:37:34 PM
Quote from: passedit on April 02, 2014, 03:14:58 PM
Quote from: ardtole on April 02, 2014, 01:08:38 PM
Div 3 is almost a month into action and early season favourites Kilclief and Dundrum have suprisingly dropped pointsalready. Drumaness and dromara lead the way at this stage and a young ardglass team are starting to gel together and hopefully will kick on.

Division 3

Team      Pld   Won   Draw   Lost   For   Against   Diff   Points
St Colman's Drumaness      3   3   0   0   71   25   46   6
St Paul's      3   3   0   0   61   51   10   6
Dromara      3   3   0   0   44   39   5   6
Bright      2   2   0   0   37   15   22   4
Ardglass      3   1   0   2   67   51   16   2
Kilclief      3   1   0   2   41   45   -4   2
Aughlisnafin      3   1   0   2   42   47   -5   2
St Michael's      2   1   0   1   21   36   -15   2
Mitchels      3   0   0   3   36   55   -19   0
Killyleagh      3   0   0   3   32   59   -27   0
Dundrum      2   0   0   2   17   46   -29   0

Big surprise is Dundrum, albeit they have lost to two of the favourites. Are both Mc Comiskeys lining out ?

are Ballykinler not playing senior football at all now?
from 20 March

QuoteA chara,

Ballykinlar have formally withdrawn from the Down ACFL Div 3 until further Notice

For the ease of Administration , last Sunday's non-fixture between St Michaels

and Ballykinlar will be null and Void and each team will now have two Byes for the rest of

the season(bar St Michaels who will have one further Bye).

Is mise,

Pól

Sad this but was on the cards for a while, County board allowed them to play 13 a side last year but they still struggled to field. Presume that any of their senior players would be free to play for another team?
Don't Panic

ardtole

Dundrum and Ballykinlar are the one parish I think, so id imagine Dundrum will pick up most of the lads who want to play. Im not aware of any deep rivalry between the two that might put players off joining. Some of the Ballykinlar from Tyrella direction might be closer to Bright or RGU. Hard to believe Ballykinlar were one of the top teams in the county in the 60s/70s, sad to see.

passedit

Quote from: ardtole on April 03, 2014, 02:34:23 PM
Dundrum and Ballykinlar are the one parish I think, so id imagine Dundrum will pick up most of the lads who want to play. I'm not aware of any deep rivalry between the two that might put players off joining. Some of the Ballykinlar from Tyrella direction might be closer to Bright or RGU. Hard to believe Ballykinlar were one of the top teams in the county in the 60s/70s, sad to see.

They play together as St Josephs underage so you'd assume no issues but I don't think they'd be limited to Dundrum if they wanted to play for anyone else in the area. Probably only talking about one or two anyway.
Don't Panic

The Raven

Quote from: passedit on April 03, 2014, 01:54:17 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on April 02, 2014, 07:37:34 PM
Quote from: passedit on April 02, 2014, 03:14:58 PM
Quote from: ardtole on April 02, 2014, 01:08:38 PM
Div 3 is almost a month into action and early season favourites Kilclief and Dundrum have suprisingly dropped pointsalready. Drumaness and dromara lead the way at this stage and a young ardglass team are starting to gel together and hopefully will kick on.

Division 3

Team      Pld   Won   Draw   Lost   For   Against   Diff   Points
St Colman's Drumaness      3   3   0   0   71   25   46   6
St Paul's      3   3   0   0   61   51   10   6
Dromara      3   3   0   0   44   39   5   6
Bright      2   2   0   0   37   15   22   4
Ardglass      3   1   0   2   67   51   16   2
Kilclief      3   1   0   2   41   45   -4   2
Aughlisnafin      3   1   0   2   42   47   -5   2
St Michael's      2   1   0   1   21   36   -15   2
Mitchels      3   0   0   3   36   55   -19   0
Killyleagh      3   0   0   3   32   59   -27   0
Dundrum      2   0   0   2   17   46   -29   0

Big surprise is Dundrum, albeit they have lost to two of the favourites. Are both Mc Comiskeys lining out ?

are Ballykinler not playing senior football at all now?
from 20 March

QuoteA chara,

Ballykinlar have formally withdrawn from the Down ACFL Div 3 until further Notice

For the ease of Administration , last Sunday's non-fixture between St Michaels

and Ballykinlar will be null and Void and each team will now have two Byes for the rest of

the season(bar St Michaels who will have one further Bye).

Is mise,

Pól

Sad this but was on the cards for a while, County board allowed them to play 13 a side last year but they still struggled to field. Presume that any of their senior players would be free to play for another team?

Very sad indeed, but unfortunately its a sign of the times, just take a look through this years underage fixtures and see how many clubs are fielding 9,10 or 13 a side teams even amalgamated teams or fielding no underage teams at all. As I suggested before perhaps we have too many clubs in Down for our population. Is it time for some people to set a side the parish rivalries and club prejudices for the betterment of the game ?

east down gael

Sad to hear of their demise.hopefully they do amalgamate with dundrum as they do at underage level.instead of looking on it as a negative maybe it can be a positive step for all involved in both clubs.

DownFanatic

Quote from: east down gael on April 04, 2014, 12:02:17 AM
Sad to hear of their demise.hopefully they do amalgamate with dundrum as they do at underage level.instead of looking on it as a negative maybe it can be a positive step for all involved in both clubs.

That wouldn't happen. Dundrum now field on their own at underage as well.

east down gael

Would dundrum not accept players from ballykinlars catchment area now they have no club?i'm not suggesting an amalgamation as in changing names,but surely the players from ballykinlar would be allowed to join,no?

Down Follower

Many clubs struggling with numbers is right.  Senior teams in general will be ok but the amount who are fielding at 13 and 11 a side at underage is unheard off.

ardtole

I was at mass in Ardglass before christmas and the holy communion class were present, there were about 4/5 boys in the class. Ten years from now is when the shit will hit the fan, the numbers just will not be there.

No1

Ardtole, I would say much like ourselves the shit has already hit the fan in terms of numbers at senior level and the future is none too bright. 

You can have the best underage coaching set up in the country but if no-one is there to attend then it's not worth two fucks.

Our senior manager stepped down during the week aswell!!

One question I'd have for your part of the world, how do the soccer boys have numbers for 3 teams???

ardtole

I think they only have two teams now no 1,  there was 3 teams for a good while but there was always a good few killough, downpatrick and odd kilclief man turning out, i think Ricky Kerr played recently.

I didnt know Pheilly packed it in, a good lad, things must have been bad if he packed it in this early.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 02, 2014, 01:57:58 PM
Quote from: supersub on April 02, 2014, 12:50:21 PM
I hear Burren Thirds couldn't field on Sunday, unusual for them!

At the other end of the spectrum we played Kilcoo 3rds last week and they had two lads playing who saw action in the Ulster club championship last year!!!

I would love to hear the two names cause for a fact I know there was not one. Yes we had few FORMER seniors playing but that's where they are at right now!

Mourne Rover

Sounds like a bit of a first half disaster for Down in Portlaoise. We are losing by 1-10 to 1-1 at the break, although we were playing against a strong wind. The commentator on Midlands 103 expressed disbelief about Down's defensive efforts and said we were playing like a team who had been on the beer last night. Benny started but got a black card after about 15 minutes. It was also surprisng that no starting line-up appears to have been released in advance of the game. Hopefully we can only improve in the second half.

snoopdog

Doesn't look good for our trip to omagh in may.  Laois are a poor side and for down to be so far behind doesnt say much about us.

Mourne Rover

We seem to have restored some pride in the second half and we only lost by three points in the end - 1-16 to 2-10. However, by all accounts it was a fairly patchy performance and not one which will cause much alarm in Tyrone.