Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hard2Listen2

Pauly, is there any coach in particular you object to or are they all farcical?

Come on man let that anger out!!

😤😥

T O Hare

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on March 25, 2014, 08:23:40 PM
Pauly, is there any coach in particular you object to or are they all farcical?

Come on man let that anger out!!

😤😥

Welcome to gaaboard you knob!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Gabriel

Had a bad feeling heading down to this one, having seen the big difference that home advantage seems to make in Division 2 this year, and that was confirmed by a bad result in a pretty poor game overall. Staying in Division 2 for next year might not be a bad thing for the development of the team, but we have a lot to work on ahead of Tyrone in the championship.

Not going to criticise individual players/performances, instead want to highlight two of the positives. Peter Turley is really growing in this team, he produced another very solid performance tonight and pulled his weight all over the show. He must be kept at midfield for the championship. It was also great to see Ambrose Rogers back - thought he was excellent, and really showed Down what they've been missing. A performance full of powerful, direct running, capped by a brilliantly-taken goal. He might not be fully match-fit, but I thought his substitution coincided with Down's collapse in the match. Having him back and fully fit for the Tyrone game would be a huge advantage.

Mourne Rover

Navan was a game which could have gone either way, and a draw would probably have been a fair result, but we paid the price for missing chances and unusually - apart from the trip to Galway - we faded out in the last ten minutes. However, there is no reason for real disappointment as we played well for long spells and it was probably only some entirely avoidable handling errors in the closing stages that prevented us getting at least a point.

Meath are a decent side but there was a crucial period coming up to half time when we were completely on top, went three points up and should have been further ahead but let them back in for a couple of late scores. We also should have kicked on after Ambrose's goal, but in fairness Meath displayed more hunger in the last quarter.

Harrison's kick-outs were mostly good, with a couple of brilliant efforts and only one or two which went astray. His handling was fine and he had no mission with their goal.

Both our corner backs were largely in control. Costello is improving with every game and McCartan was as composed as ever and might even have got in for a late goal. McArdle, after an excellent display against Donegal, found the going tougher, although he does push forward well. He will want to forget the moment when he hit a sideline back towards his keeper, misplaced it by about 20 yards and give them a 45.

Garvey was effective, and a bit unlucky with his black card, while Boyle covered a huge amount of ground before tiring late on. Carr is always impressive on the ball but he tends to leave gaps down the middle and his botched hand pass cost us a point when we were still very much in the game.

Turley is getting better and better, and probably only made one handling mistake all night, although there must be a possibility that he might switch to centre half to tighten our defence and hopefully allow Carr more creative space. McKernan had a mixed night with some outstanding interceptions and some dodgy passes.

Poland has to be entitled to the odd off night and he took some heavy hits as he was plainly targeted by Meath. Maginn was probably our man of the match, covering more ground than anyone else and often picking out opportunities which no one else could see. He has got a couple of league goals this season, but he would be the complete half forward if he could manage some points as well.

The big bonus was the return of Ambrose. He was off the pace initially but the perfectly fair shoulder charge which took a Meath defender out of the game showed his intent. While he did miss an easy point, his goal was a gem, and, even though he ran out of steam eventually, the run-out will take him a long way.

O'Hare's frees were flawless but we can hopefully get him to hurt the opposition from play as well, while Madine has had better games but still worked tirelessly and got a fine point. The tackle which ended Laverty's night within the first ten minutes was badly mistimed but it should probably have been a yellow rather than a black.

Johnston competed effectively when he came on but one fine point has to be set against a pretty glaring miss at an important stage. The other subs appeared fairly late in the day, but Devlin's free on the wing showed what he can do.

Promotion is not quite gone yet, but might not have suited us anyway, and our league form has been better than respectable even before the final visit to Laois next week.

ardtole

I thought Meath were well worth their win Mourne Rover. Ambrose was the biggest plus of the night, I thought he done well after a slow start. The sooner Gordon is back the better, id like to see him at FF he would give the attack a different option and make things easier for Maginn and Poland.

whitegoodman

That was a very optimistic take on things MR !!

No power, no threat, no scores. IMO going to Omagh we can only go with two from Poland, O Hare, Laverty, Johnston and Maginn and it would be the first two for me.  For all the hard work of the other ones where are the scores coming from?  The modern game is becoming more and more to do with power rather than guile and our front six currently lacks it.

I would be tempted to go with two defensive midfielders against Tyrone ( Turley and King ) and start McKernan and Ambrose in the half forward line.  As another poster said we could do with getting a target man into the full forward line as although there is a lot of potential with Madine he is still a bit raw and there is alot of responsibility on him. I personally would prefer to see Dan back at FB rather than FF as I don't think FF comes naturally to him.  I could mention another potential FF who has never been given a chance at his level despite being one of the best target men in the county but I could be accused of being parochial!!!!

I'd still like to see O Hagan and Rooney come into the defence before the championship and Dan and McCumiskey back at some point.

I don't want to sound too critical of any players as they are only giving of their best in an amateur game but I am just trying to point out what in my opinion would be the best options come championship.

ardtole

I would prefer to see Gordan at FF at this stage of his career. After a long lay off with injury, id worry how he would cope at FB and I think McArdle has done well in his absence. I just think the Ff line needs a physical presence and I think we would get more out of OHare if he had the opportunity of feeding off someone like Dan.

Mourne Rover

It was not a great Down performance but it was by no means a poor one either, so we need to look at the progress we have made during the league and see where we can strengthen up for the championship. Poland and O'Hare, barring injury, are certain starters in Omagh and Maginn on his present form will be there as well. WGM's point about Johnston and Laverty's lack of size in an already light attack is a fair one, and they may both be on the bench when the championship starts.

Turley and King could be too similar to start together in midfield, and we may yet need Turley in our defence. It would be brilliant to see big Dan back in any position, but it is going to be very difficult for him to regain proper match fitness in the time available. To increase our options around the midfield and half forward lines, we could do much worse than bring Mallon back from Brussels at weekends. It is a short flight and other counties have taken similar steps in the recent past.

McComiskey's return would give us a great boost but he has been playing for Dundrum without any indication that a county call-up is on the cards. If he is going to be involved, he would probably have appeared by now.

Tyrone were pretty impressive in Cork today, but it will do us no harm to travel to Omagh as considerable outsiders.

Pangurban

There is one thing worse than a bad Manager and that is an unlucky Manager. For the last three years this Down panel has been static in terms of development. This is in spite of James undoubted talent and best efforts. Injuries and emigrations have thwarted his best plans and unstinting efforts. James has doing well too retain our position in Div.2. but without a serious injection of talent of talent over the next year our spiral will be downward rather than up. Dan and Ambrose will help in the short term but we cannot lay the groundwork for future success around them. I predict a very short championship campaign following which there will have to be a realistic and serious review of where Down football is going

Ed Hardy

Any results from Div 3. over the weekend? 

Down Follower

Although you would find it hard to believe given the lack of activity on this board, the Div 1 & 2 seasons start next Friday and I for one cannot wait for it.  Here are my predictions for the winners and losers for this year.
Winners
Div 1/Senior - Burren and Kilcoo as per usual to fight it out for top spot. Castlewellan and Bryansford the most likely to break the duopoly.  Bridge and Saval the best of the rest.
Div 2/Intermediate - Warrenpoint to walk Div 2 and probably the Intermediate Championship although An Riocht will contest and Liatrom (who are in Div 1) will provide competition in the Championship.

Losers
Div 1/Senior - Although Glenn and Tullylish will begin the year well it is hard to see them sustaining it in a tough league.  By the time Aug/Sep comes around I think they will be finding it hard against seasoned senior teams.  Strugglers for the last few years include Liatrom which I think should continue.
Div 2/Intermediate - Aghaderg to find the step up far too much - effiectively coming from Div 4 last year, and playing against recent Div 1 teams in Warrenpoint and An Riocht.

supersub

I hear Burren Thirds couldn't field on Sunday, unusual for them!

ardtole

Div 3 is almost a month into action and early season favourites Kilclief and Dundrum have suprisingly dropped pointsalready. Drumaness and dromara lead the way at this stage and a young ardglass team are starting to gel together and hopefully will kick on.

elk

Quote from: Down Follower on April 02, 2014, 11:13:04 AM
Although you would find it hard to believe given the lack of activity on this board, the Div 1 & 2 seasons start next Friday and I for one cannot wait for it.  Here are my predictions for the winners and losers for this year.
Winners
Div 1/Senior - Burren and Kilcoo as per usual to fight it out for top spot. Castlewellan and Bryansford the most likely to break the duopoly.  Bridge and Saval the best of the rest.
Div 2/Intermediate - Warrenpoint to walk Div 2 and probably the Intermediate Championship although An Riocht will contest and Liatrom (who are in Div 1) will provide competition in the Championship.

Losers
Div 1/Senior - Although Glenn and Tullylish will begin the year well it is hard to see them sustaining it in a tough league.  By the time Aug/Sep comes around I think they will be finding it hard against seasoned senior teams.  Strugglers for the last few years include Liatrom which I think should continue.
Div 2/Intermediate - Aghaderg to find the step up far too much - effiectively coming from Div 4 last year, and playing against recent Div 1 teams in Warrenpoint and An Riocht.
I think Bosco have some promising young players and should provide some decent opposition to Warrenpoint and An Riocht

5 Sams

Quote from: supersub on April 02, 2014, 12:50:21 PM
I hear Burren Thirds couldn't field on Sunday, unusual for them!

At the other end of the spectrum we played Kilcoo 3rds last week and they had two lads playing who saw action in the Ulster club championship last year!!!
The Aristocrat Years