Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonardo

Four games in first two weeks is pretty heavy schedule to begin with. Then it's followed by two games in four weeks. Thought it would make more sense to have one game per week, with exception of Tyrone game?

downup

Club fixtures are made to suit the county team, always will be. Now if they were asked to play 2 games in four days there would be some kicking and screaming done but that's just how it is. The GAA is all about money at the top level and unfortunately club players are at the wrong end of the scale. Its a gripe I have had since the mid 90's and its only got worse since but we just have to get on with it as it's not going to change.

johnneycool

Quote from: downup on March 06, 2014, 09:37:35 AM
Club fixtures are made to suit the county team, always will be. Now if they were asked to play 2 games in four days there would be some kicking and screaming done but that's just how it is. The GAA is all about money at the top level and unfortunately club players are at the wrong end of the scale. Its a gripe I have had since the mid 90's and its only got worse since but we just have to get on with it as it's not going to change.

Our county board were happy to let the county hurlers play two games within 24 hours, so what would make you think they'd be overly concerned about club footballers playing two games in four whole days.

5 Sams

Right lads we have Colm McAlarney as guest of honour at our dinner dance tomorrow night. Rather than the usual "let the famous person speak" we intend to have a Q&A with the great man. Mise fear an tí. I have a good few questions lined up for him....any other suggestions from the Down hardcore on here as to what I should ask him??
The Aristocrat Years

NP 76

5 Sams ask him does he think Murtagh deserved to win the dancing last week

DownFanatic

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 07, 2014, 11:54:49 PM
Right lads we have Colm McAlarney as guest of honour at our dinner dance tomorrow night. Rather than the usual "let the famous person speak" we intend to have a Q&A with the great man. Mise fear an tí. I have a good few questions lined up for him....any other suggestions from the Down hardcore on here as to what I should ask him??

Might be a sticky one but I heard there was big controversy back in the day when he transferred from Liatroim to Castlewellan.

whitegoodman

Who does he think was the best Down player never to win an all Ireland? Shorty? Benny, Tommy McGovern? I may be missing a few obv ones there too....

Dubh driocht

I heard that before the AI final in 1968 Colm, as a 19 year old rookie midfielder, was asked who he thought was the best Gaelic Footballer of all time. He had no hesitation in saying Mick O' Connell. After the game, when it was widely recognised that Colm had eclipsed the great Micko, he was asked,'Well, what do you think of Micko now ?'. Colm had no hesitation in saying ;'I still think he is the best footballer of all time'. Just what you would expect from a class act. His performance in the 1978 Ulster final was for me the best from any Down player at Clones; 'Arkle' in his prime was a prince of Gaelic Football.

5 Sams

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 08, 2014, 01:54:53 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on March 07, 2014, 11:54:49 PM

Might be a sticky one but I heard there was big controversy back in the day when he transferred from Liatroim to Castlewellan.

I think I'll avoid that one if you don't mind ;)
The Aristocrat Years

stiffler

Any teams interested in an u16 friendly please pm for details.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

supersub

Quote from: supersub on February 26, 2014, 10:07:21 AM
The club are running a European Beer festival over St Paddy's weekend folks. Bit of info for anyone interested!

https://www.facebook.com/events/782809815079995/?ref=22

This weekend for anyone interested - hopefully all will go smoothly and won't be too many protests from the back benchers  ;)

Ed Hardy

U21's play Monaghan next Wednesday night, what sort of team do Down have this year? Many snr panelists eligible to play?

DownFanatic

Quote from: Ed Hardy on March 12, 2014, 11:17:44 PM
U21's play Monaghan next Wednesday night, what sort of team do Down have this year? Many snr panelists eligible to play?

O'Hanlon, Harrison and Ryan Johnston.

Shay McCartan and Caolan Mooney missing from Minor team of 3 years ago.

snoopdog

How is shay McCartan getting on at Accrington Stanley?

Any word on the return of Gordon, Rodgers and McCommiskey?

We would have some sqaud if we hadnt lost Mooney, McCartan and Clarke and with the 3 mentioned above in full flight we could have challenged for a few years.

Mourne Rover

Damien Turley started this season in the senior panel although he does not seem to have featured recently. Was he not on the 2011 minor team ?