Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

You are probably correct Downjim but is a car made available? If it is all well and good if not why not.

angermanagement

SHEEDY

sfc result; mayobridge 1-15 rostrevor 1-8

ifc result; dundrum 0-5 drumgath 2-11
nil satis nisi optimum

angermanagement

H/t Burren 0-8 ballyholland 0-3
H/t L'Island 1-3 L'stone 0-3 stone down to 13.

SHEEDY

Quote from: angermanagement on August 08, 2013, 09:08:14 PM
H/t Burren 0-8 ballyholland 0-3
H/t L'Island 1-3 L'stone 0-3 stone down to 13.
full time scores; burren 1-15 ballyholland 0-6.  longstone 0-9 loughinisland 2-11
nil satis nisi optimum

Line Ball

The current 'malaise' that has enveloped Down football continues with not one post on last nights games.  I was in Newry and its no wonder that our County team continue to flounder when we see what our club teams produce.

Benny was outstanding in the first game, out in front, ball sticking and off loading to so many but with little effect.  He took his own scores in the second half which made a difference but with Rostrevor slow to make changes there was only going to be one result.

Game 2 at least had a bit of an edge to it.  Burren always looked in control and the late spurt put Ballyholland out of their misery.

upandwin

To be honest last night's games were a serious disappointment. Thought Mayobridge never really had to get out of second gear and Rostrevor themselves could not believe they were leading at Half Time. I genuinely don't think there is a huge gulf in class between those two sides, certainly not enough to merit a 7pt victory anyway. The 'bridge just have that experience and never panicked once, and credit to them for that.
Burren were very impressive and Ballyholland never ever looked like taking the 2pts. However I doubt their heads will drop, given that Bryansford would always have been the more winnable game for them in the group and not the Burren match in their pursuit of 2nd spot. Burren will play better sides this year and the championship is only 2 days old but they look very strong already and it's difficult to see who can match them this year. Can anyone give a summary of the Stone-Island game? Big Greg was not happy anyway and vented his anger on twitter, slating both the referee and the '3 sweepers' deployed by Loughinisland. Find it hard to believe there were 3 sweepers played tbf.
Also, anyone else at Pairc Esler will have noticed that the stand was nowhere near full, which would not have been the case had Bridge-Rostrevor and Burren-Ballyholland double been a traditional first round knockout game. Bit of the championship magic lost it must be said.

downjim

Three sweepers?? Try ballyholland with 15 sweepers. Puke football and I actually enjoyed the first game more. At least rostrevor kept a few forwards up the field!
Our country is in dire straits, the best two players I seen on were Thursday were Gavin barry and benny, what age are they???
Our football is going backwards, I blame the senior managers who insist on the blanket defences! Football in the county has lost its mojo. No one goes to club matches no more. There was more at a thirds championship game in Burren than any senior games all season. People won't pay to watch crap!

Everyone is thinking what downjim says!

wildrover

Castlewellan 2.18 1.02 Annaclone

As the scoreline suggests Annaclone offered very little. Attempted to play with numbers behind the ball but didn't have the pace or ability to break out with it effectively. Strange team set-up that didn't make use of their big players Benny Mcardle or Kevin Anderson. Castlewellan will have been pleased to get the ball rolling and register a decent score. Best for them were Barry Travers, Kevin Duffin, Finty McGreevy and David Gilmore.

downjim

Shocking antics in Newry today! Surprised that Kilcoo are involved yet again. The county board needs to stamp their authority on all culprits. There is no place in the GAS for that.

charlieTully

Quote from: downjim on August 11, 2013, 07:26:14 PM
Shocking antics in Newry today! Surprised that Kilcoo are involved yet again. The county board needs to stamp their authority on all culprits. There is no place in the GAS for that.

care to elaborate what happened that has no place in our beloved GAS jimbo? I have a burning desire to know. (I prefer Calor myself but each to their own.)

DaisyCutter

I don't like to say to much on here about referees but the standard of refereeing in the second game today in Pairc Esler was a disgrace to say the least! Brutal decisions against both side raised the tensions for both teams, which in the end came to a head when a row started 5 minutes from the end, where he also let it get out of hand as well even though there was very little in the initial incident.
Really frustrating stuff!

Leonardo

Could someone post todays results? Cant get onto the down website

lucan

Downer

All in all an ok start to the new championship format!

Kilcoo remain the team to beat with The mighty Burren starting to get there wheels in motion following there defeat of castlewellan in the league and there comfortable opener in sfc. Peter McGraths beyansford making serious noises also!!.

Here's hoping next weeks round of sfc games up it's it a notch or two!