Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMick007

Johnney your sources are correct. Lets see who steps up to the mark as the Alley man, men were quite vocal about the set up and some of the people in charge. Will they put their money where their mouth is?

amallon

We had a good win over the Island last night.  We were leading 1-9 to 4 points and hald time and the game was effectivley over.  Dan Gordan was the only player to put in a decent performance for the Island the rest were fairly average.  We had big performances from Brendan Grant, Brendan Rodgers and the two Sextons. 

Laitroim turning over Rostrevor is a good result for them but the result of the night is Burren beating Kilcoo in Kilcoo.  Thats a massive ask for any club to go down there and take the points.  Fair dues to Burren, the Bridge haven't won down there in 6 or 7 years.

In division 2 thats a depressing looking defeat for Ballyholland whatever way you look at it. 

I can't belive how bad Drumgath are going in division 3, I thought they would have walked this divison at the start of the season.  Something isn't right with them this season. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

kinghen

just like to point out that the burren victory over kilcoo was actually in burren! but still a great win for burren who had found themselves down at the wrong end of the table, maybe this will kick start their season, kilcoo are still a very tough side in the league no matter where they play!!

Bacon

Clonduff camogs managed by John Crossey, won the senior championship for the first time on Sunday. They beat Portaferry in the final played in Castlewellan. Well done girls!!
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

amallon

Well done to Kitty and the rest of the Clonduff camogs.

Kinghen - Its still a very good win for Burren but not the great win I had thought originally when I misread the fixtures.  Out of interest has anyone beaten Kilcoo at home this year?

iwannatinkle

Quote from: amallon on July 24, 2007, 11:12:34 AM
I can't belive how bad Drumgath are going in division 3, I thought they would have walked this divison at the start of the season.  Something isn't right with them this season. 

Maybe its the fact that they believed they would walk away with the league, by far the most improved team in the division is Bredgh, Dundrum are looking good as well, but would they be able to cope with Division 2 football after nearly 20 years in the lower divisions, that is if they got promoted?  And if they don't get promoted will young McComiskey stick around a play Division 3 football again?  ???

amallon

iwannatinkle - That could well be the problem.  Didn't they loose a manager at the start of the season or something as well?  Have they lost players from last year?

TORGAEL

amallon, i'd say drumgath have suffered due to player retirements & other players not making themselves available due to work committments.........but mostly because of players being unavailable due to county committments and others being in the USA playing !

amallon

To be without 10 players puts a big whole in any clubs squad, maybe they aren't doing as bad as one would expect under the circumstances.  Its surprising though that the players wouldn't stick with it and put in an effort to haul themselves out of the 3rd division.  What a difference a year makes!

kumquat

watched the saul V bosco match. not a very good bosco side, no match for the saul midfield and the saul full forward line roasted bosco full backs. there was a period of about 18 minutes in the 2nd half where bosco pulled it back to 4 points but then saul scored a goal and eventually ran out comfortable winners. Again the referee was poor for both sides.
Buy us a pint then Boselecta!!!

boscomo

have to agree bosco had a weaken side and were forced to start severl injured players and the gamble didnt work , saul dominated the game in big spells and well desreved the vivtory. we will have regroup for the newry derby on friday night.
if in doubt eat it

Square Ball

Quote from: DownFanatic on July 23, 2007, 10:56:09 PM
Carryduff 0-08  Ballymartin 0-10 in Division 2.

Square Ball, as you say there is a long way to go yet in Division 3. The team I wouldnt write off at the moment is Ardglass. One more defeat and Drumgath will be out of the picture. Tullylish are there already without a doubt.

PS - Just remember that Drumgath are likely to get the two points for their abandoned game with Ardglass.

who got the points for the Teconnaght v Dundrum game, was this abandoned as well?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

6th sam

Quote from: kumquat on July 24, 2007, 04:49:03 PM
watched the saul V bosco match. not a very good bosco side, no match for the saul midfield and the saul full forward line roasted bosco full backs. there was a period of about 18 minutes in the 2nd half where bosco pulled it back to 4 points but then saul scored a goal and eventually ran out comfortable winners. Again the referee was poor for both sides.
I watched the saul/bosco game as well,and would mainly agree with your assessment Kumquat.
However,I think bosco  only played as well as they were let.Saul give little away at home.Bosco have a number of talented players but fitness and discipline still appear to be a problem for them.Thought ref was good overall,but his keenness to strictly enforce the  overcarrying rule for both sides,seemed to effect the fluidity of the game.
Saul's Adam King was the standout player on the night,while Donnie Ritchie was pacy and brave as always.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: holylandsbomber on July 24, 2007, 03:27:51 PM
Drumgath's Demise in Div III

I was talking to a Drumgath man after last nights game and he blames the following on their bad form this season.

The poor performances in this team results in a number of factors ( So I'm Told )!!!!!

Bad Management: The Committee / Chairman
Last year Drumgath won the Intermediate Championship, after doing so they let Bill Geoghan go and recruited Harry Toner for the job.
Toner in turn walked out after 4 x Straight defeats, thus left the club in the lurch and they had no choice but to go with a former player as manager who does not have the experience nesecarry to manage but is doing the best he can with what players are availabe to him.
But then the committee have to be asked why get rid of a championship winning manager ( What modern day clubs do this ) ?? Even if some people thought Geoghan was not up to scratch you cannot hide from the fact that the championship was won under his term.

Players:

For the majority of this season Drumgath have been playing / fielding teams that numerically they are approx short 10 x Starting players from last years championship final team. The reasons are mixed, guys moved to Dublin to work / Other's to England / 2 x Prominent players to USA for the Summer piss up. 3 x players involved with the County Senior panel, retirement also. Also the "main" players off the team that have been left behind have been under performing by their standards.

These factors are why Drumgath ( A Team some people thought would walk Div III ) are in the position they are in and looking very unlikely to make any playoff's.

Did Harry Toner not walk away due to the fact that he was getting nobody turning up for training and on the night 4 players turned up he had enough - he was putting in the effort travelling from Newcastle and by getting no respnse from his panel he decided to walk - you cant blame him really!

goldenyears

harps awful v downpatrick. 5-0 up after ten minutes.....1 score in the second half with just 3 wides....now need others to drop points and need to win all remaining games just to make play offs.