Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Shane Harrison was named to start in goals for the Cavan game but was replaced by Michael Cunningham at a late stage. Unless Harrison is injured, he was the reserve keeper for the McKenna Cup. Presumably Brendan McVeigh will start in the league, but Cunningham has done himself no harm and Harrison is another decent option.

DaisyCutter

Apologies folks, I forgot to add that I don't understand how Cathal Magee also didn't get a run in the McKenna Cup? In acknowledge that he has past County experience under Ross & DJ but I feel he deserved another look at, as he was easily in top three forwards in Down/Div1 this year, racking up big tallies in every game. Plus he has got a bit of cut into his game and it definetly helps him. What's your thoughts on this and my previous post?

DaisyCutter

I heard at the weekend that Harrison is  going to give all his time to the Soccer at the moment with Banbridge FC. I'd say he wasn't too happy with the Cavan episode.

wildrover

Quote from: DaisyCutter on January 22, 2013, 10:49:40 PM
Can someone enlighten me to why Rory Burns is on our McKenna Cup panel? I don't think he has even played a full Div 1 game for Castlewellan. Plus he is also the Reserve keeper... Whts is going on like???
Also where has Kevin Duffin gone? Thought he'd want all the footy he could get in the lead up to the National League.

Rory Burns was the 1st choice Down Minor keeper last year. He appears to be the first choice Down U-21 keeper this year (You alluded to Harrison's commitment to Banbridge F.C which rules him out). The Down U-21's are training with the Down seniors at the moment and so the senior management are presumably in a better position than you to judge whether he is good enough to be the senior back-up keeper for the time being (Before Brendan McVeigh's return).

He played a few games for Castlewellan seniors last year (both in nets and outfield). Very good young keeper, but I rate him equally as highly as an outfield player and thats where I believe his future is for the club.

Kevin Duffin didn't commit to the Down set-up this year. Think he felt he had been caught in no-mans land for long enough (not able to/given a chance to cement a position in the team but was still massively restricted in what he could contribute to the club).

Apart from Michael Cunningham in nets, Aiden Burns is our only other panellist. Hope he has a good year, although Connaire Harrison and Ryan Kelly's good form in similar roles has already made it that wee bit harder for him.

DaisyCutter

Thanks for clearing that up for me Wildrover, I didn't know he was up onto the Under 21 panel this year. That will be good experience for him.
I couldn't blame Kevin for stepping away from the County scene as he has been been through a lot with the set up over recent years, where it was affecting his club football as well. A good player who could still offer a lot in the future.
Aidy Burns will find it difficult to establish himself as a first team player. Unfortunately it is still the other end of the field where our problems lye. Wildrover... Get the boots on! :-)!

Lecale2

All Ireland Junior Hurling Semi Final on Sunday. Bredagh v Fullan Gaels. Hopefully we can do the business.

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on January 25, 2013, 08:31:32 AM
All Ireland Junior Hurling Semi Final on Sunday. Bredagh v Fullan Gaels. Hopefully we can do the business.

Best of luck, but tell Lorenzo its time to hang up those puma king boots he got from the county 20 odd years ago...

Lecale2

Ha ha. I'll tell him you said that!

Mourne man

AIB GAA Hurling All-Ireland Junior Club Championship S-F Latest: Bredagh 0-2 Fullen Gaels 1-12

Mourne man

AIB Hurling All-Ireland Junior semi-final result Bredagh 1.04 Fullen Gaels 1.12

johnneycool

Disappointing result for Bredagh, but its all part of the learning curve.

5 Sams

What do yiz think?

Not fussed on it myself. :(
The Aristocrat Years

NP 76

By the looks of it Benny isn't fussed on it either. Would prefer a collar on it good to see the Canal Court still there

supersub

Best jersey yet. About time we had a modern looking one.

centre 3/4s

Who is the fella to the left of the picture?