Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dundrumite

Hopefully I'll be smart enough to stay out of his road. To your original point, Neil cousins is a good ref in my opinion probably one of the best in Down. Also have been impressed with Ronan Barry and Ciaran brannagan Bford. Boys that have played the game know seem to know the Craic.

thebar

Quote from: dundrumite on October 30, 2012, 10:20:00 PM
Quote from: downjim on October 30, 2012, 07:12:34 PM
Does anyone know the price into the game on friday ? I hope there is a strong ref

Neil Cousins, he can bench press 80KG allegedly. All is good

That'll make him a good ref alrite  ;D

downjim

Quote from: dundrumite on October 31, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
Hopefully I'll be smart enough to stay out of his road. To your original point, Neil cousins is a good ref in my opinion probably one of the best in Down. Also have been impressed with Ronan Barry and Ciaran brannagan Bford. Boys that have played the game know seem to know the Craic.
brannigan:are you mad. There has never been a good ref to come from hilltown

dundrumite

Quote from: downjim on October 31, 2012, 01:23:01 PM
Quote from: dundrumite on October 31, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
New refs on the scene this year I was specifically talking about, as in Bryansford man. The hilltown one is obviously doing something right though, he has the Ballinderry Eirrigal game, sure to be a cracker

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: downjim on October 31, 2012, 01:23:01 PM

toot toot toot toot toot toot toot toot toot toot toot

Are you trying to infer something about John Anthony?  ;D

[For the record I think Ciaran Brannigan is a very good referee, he's refereed a load of matches I've played in, some wins, some losses, but none I can blame on the man. Thats good enough for me.]
i usse an speelchekor

The Real Real Gael

So the Down senior club season finally comes to an end tomorrow night, relatively early for us in Down as we normally manage to venture into December before we can get all our league play off games played, I actually think in the late 90's we had a division 1 league final played on Boxing day if memory serves me right, so Pol deserves credit in his debut season. On a worrying note we are now into November and no clearer on who will join James and Jerome in the new look Down Senior set-up. This is a major major concern, are there going to be trials, should players not be doing much needed weights programmes like Donegal, Armagh, Derry, Tyrone, Antrim and Monaghan all currently are, will there be a much needed clear out of dead wood and hangers on both on the field and off it? Decisions need to be made and made quickly but then again we are Down and we like to do things "the down way."

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-The Real Real Gael takes no prisoners-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

pauly2

Quote from: The Real Real Gael on November 01, 2012, 10:05:53 PM
So the Down senior club season finally comes to an end tomorrow night, relatively early for us in Down as we normally manage to venture into December before we can get all our league play off games played, I actually think in the late 90's we had a division 1 league final played on Boxing day if memory serves me right, so Pol deserves credit in his debut season. On a worrying note we are now into November and no clearer on who will join James and Jerome in the new look Down Senior set-up. This is a major major concern, are there going to be trials, should players not be doing much needed weights programmes like Donegal, Armagh, Derry, Tyrone, Antrim and Monaghan all currently are, will there be a much needed clear out of dead wood and hangers on both on the field and off it? Decisions need to be made and made quickly but then again we are Down and we like to do things "the down way."

I think its going to be poacher to be honest.  A whisper a few weeks ago was that it will be announced when the club season ends and that is tomorrow night for the county gaels.  Apparently Poland is standing down in Mayobridge after this game tomorrow night and i would think Poacher would have made his intentions clear at this stage if he wanted it.  Things could get crazy on the sideline next year...

dundrumite

Quote from: pauly2 on November 01, 2012, 11:08:20 PM

I think its going to be poacher to be honest.  A whisper a few weeks ago was that it will be announced when the club season ends and that is tomorrow night for the county gaels.  Apparently Poland is standing down in Mayobridge after this game tomorrow night and i would think Poacher would have made his intentions clear at this stage if he wanted it.  Things could get crazy on the sideline next year...

I know Stevie quite well from talking to him this is 100% untrue and he isn't the next Down coach

alba2

The county board have been saying for years that the play offs have been designed to allow county players to play a certain number of games for their club.  Would it not be a nice gesture for the county board to open the gates tonight for the league final and not charge in???  The gaels of down have paid in to their own respective games all season and this would be a great way for the county board to show thier gratitude...

charlieTully

Quote from: pauly2 on November 01, 2012, 11:08:20 PM

more rumour spreading and untruths from you. keep your bullshit to yourself please.

downjim

Good luck to all involved in franks last game. Bring home the bacon and show the county that we still have the best team in down

DownFanatic

Down Division 1 League Final

Burren 4-8  Mayobridge 2-9

alba2

what a shambles our county is...  The burren captain gets presented with the cup on the pitch, the bridge players walk off before he makes his speech and he lifts the cup aloft to a whimper from a poor crowd.  Surely this has to end.  The playoffs are not working.. Oh and Niall Moyna is the new trainer apparently... Poacher still with u21s...

Mid Down Gael

Very enjoyable league final in Newry last night where Burren where full value for their win. They where the better side throughout and if they had have taken more of their goal chances in the first half they could have been out of sight at half time.
The game was over as a contest the moment Kieth Quinn was sent off. No one in the ground could see why he picked up a second yellow only for that man Rice on the line. Too quick to be involved and have an impact as usual when it wasn't necessary.
The bridge battled gamely to the end, there best performers over the hour being the brilliant Kevin ORourke with 2-3, how he didn't start the championship final is baffling, Ronan Sexton and Jamie Barr. How Michael Walsh didn't feature after his classy display against us also baffles me, obvious there is favourtism issues in the bridge. Two finals lost that could have been won for the sky blues only for some fatal errors in game time and in team selections.
Burren will be back to challenge us next year and they are a top class side. Gerard McGovern, David McEntee, Gerard McCartan, Kevin mckernan and Donal OHare where their top exponents last night.

Mourne man

Down GAA are delighted to be able to announce that both the Senior Football Team Manager James McCartan and the Senior Hurling Team Manager Gerard Monan have finalised their backroom teams as Down prepare for the 2013 season.

James will have once again Kilcoo man Jerome Johnston on board, Jerome has been a member of the backroom team since James took up the post in 2010 and is highly regarded for his knowledge of the game inside and outside of Down

Joining Jerome will be former Down All Ireland Medal winner of 1991 and 94 Eamon Burns who in the recent past has been in charge in Ballymartin, Darragh Cross and Bryansford and Eamon is looking forward to his first taste of Inter County Management.

The fourth member of the Management Team is Professor Niall Moyna of DCU. He was manager of the Irish U-17 International Rules team that toured Australia in 2006. In recent years he has managed the DCU senior football team to 3 Sigerson cups, 2 O'Byrne cups and a Ryan Cup. In addition, he was a selector on the St Vincent's team that won the All-Ireland club football championship in 2008, and has been part of the Dublin senior football backroom team that has won 3 Leinster senior football championships and the All-Ireland senior football title in 2011.

On the Hurling Front Gerard Monan will once again be joined by Martin McCusker from Ballela and Ballycran Clubman Stephen McAree with a new addition of Paul Flynn the former Waterford Hurler as Team Coach.

Paul Flynn the Ballygunner man has recently been Coach to the Carlow Senior hurling team and as a player won won three Munster winners' medals, one National League winners' medal and one All-Star award. Paul Flynn is Waterford's top championship scorer of all-time. The addition of Paul Flynn to the Management Team is an indication of Manager Gerard Monan's intent to improve the fortunes of Down hurling in 2013.