Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Line Ball

Line Ball

Just noticed this on Facebook.  Surely U.15's should not be doing weights?  The rest I can accept but is this the right way to go to make our players bigger and stronger?  We only have to look at some of our inter county players who started weights too young and where did they end up?

Down GAA Development Squad Winter Strength and Conditioning Programme 2012:

As announced at the Development Squad Presentation Evening on 10/10/2012, Down GAA are launching an new Winter Strength and Conditioning Programme, which will commence Tuesday 16th October 2012.

This programme will initially be open to members of the 2012 u14 Hurling Development Squad and the 2012 u15 Football Developmen
t Squad. The names of the players and the venue they are to attend has been circulated all club secretaries this morning.

Strength and Conditioning has become hugely important within all sporting codes, none more so than in Gaelic Games.

It is our hope that this programme will further develop our elite young players, making them faster, fitter, stronger and more committed for the benefit of both Club and County

The main aims of the programme are as follows:
To educate young players on how to lift weights and condition their bodies for Gaelic Games.

To educate the players in the correct techniques for GAA relevant weight training.

To create a sense of togetherness. Hurlers and Footballers will be working side by side together for the benefit of DOWN GAA.

To find "LEADERS". There will be tasks set over the weeks & indeed there will be one or two Saturday sessions where we will be looking to find those leadership qualities that all successful teams need.

Commitment. Not only will the players be expected to attend once a week but in time they will also have a unique programme that they will be expected to do on their own at home.

Down GAA has acquired the services of Strength and Conditioning Coach Brendan Murphy to oversee the programme. Brendan will be present at all sessions ensuring that the working environment remains productive and safe at all times.

The programme is as follows:

East Down GAA Development Squad S&C Programme (9 Week Programme)
St Patrick's GS Downpatrick (TUESDAY) 7-9PM

30mins Strength / Core Circut (Sports Hall)
30mins Muscle Development (Weights Rooms)
30mins Aerobic / Anaerobic Fitness (3G Pitch)

Players Must Bring Trainers and Football Boots To Every Session

Dates:
16th Oct 2012
23rd Oct 2012
30th Oct 2012
6th Nov 2012
13th Nov 2012
20th Nov 2012
27th Nov 2012
4th Dec 2012
11th Dec 2012

South Down GAA Development Squad S&C Programme (9 Week Programme)
Abbey GS Newry (WEDNESDAY) 7-9PM

30mins Muscle Development (Weights Room)

Dates:
17th Oct 2012
24th Oct 2012
1st Nov 2012
7th Nov 2012
14th Nov 2012
21st Nov 2012
28th Nov 2012
5th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012

2/3 Additional Saturday Morning sessions will also be incorporated into this 9 week schedule, however these will be held at external venues (TBC).

The sessions will commence at 7pm sharp and will conclude no later than 9pm.

Players have been based regionally to minimize the length of time wasted travelling.

If any player or parent has any concerns or queries about this programme etc, please contact Conor O'Toole directly at the number / email address below.

This exciting new venture needs the full support of our clubs, parents and players. Down GAA will do all we can to maximize the benefits for all involved, our players must do the rest.

Conor O'Toole
Down GAA Games Development Manager
developmentmanager.down@gaa.ie

forevergreen

Quote from: The Diarrhoa Divil on October 15, 2012, 10:58:47 PM
Have to say congratulations to Warrenpoint Minors on comprehensively beating their lovely neighbours from Burren in the Minor championship final on sunday. running out easy winners the result was never in doubt, and if truth be told they shpuld have bate them out the gate by more. Nice to lift the minor title and well deserved after tasting defeat in the last few finals. With a good 12/13 of the same players available again next year all augurs well for the Blues. Also worth pointing out that there were 6/7 panel members involved with that Burren minor team who live in Point. The transfer system alive and well in Burren still.

With the Point having lifted both the All County Minor and Premier Reserve Championships at the expense of Burren they could be goin all out for a clean sweep if they win against Bosco on sunday.

The name says it all ''Diaorhea''. Glad to see you still crying bout Burren and them taking players. Thanks for all those you have sent up the road.  Enjoy your Minor win seem to remember you having quite a few good minor teams that eventually went to the soccer or pub.

You should be looking at why players go up the road. Easy to blame others than to look hard at yourselves. Pity to tarnish your win by being a knob.

Good luck

urbangael

Quote from: ardtole on October 13, 2012, 05:00:16 PM
I wasnt aware the lad from drumgath who got his jaw broke against ardglass was involved in an incident which another player lost his teeth. But minutes before he got hit, he split an ardglass man with his elbow and the blood was streaming down his face. He offered two other ardglass players the same treatment before (for him) he asked the wrong lad. I dont like to see anyone getting hurt at any football match but for this individual in particular sympathy would be in short supply.

facts all wrong there ardtole!!!  im sure he could do without ur sympathy anyway u arsehole!!

ardtole

they are not incorrect. its the end of the matter for me on here anyway. what goes around comes around and from what i am hearing drumgath are in plenty of trouble after what went on in their last game.

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on October 16, 2012, 05:16:56 PM
RIP Matt. A lovely gentleman who followed the hurlers and footballers all over the country and beyond.

Lovely lad who enjoyed the craic, sad news.

RIP Matt.

outinfront

Quote from: Line Ball on October 16, 2012, 07:49:49 PM
Just noticed this on Facebook.  Surely U.15's should not be doing weights?  The rest I can accept but is this the right way to go to make our players bigger and stronger?  We only have to look at some of our inter county players who started weights too young and where did they end up?

Down GAA Development Squad Winter Strength and Conditioning Programme 2012:

As announced at the Development Squad Presentation Evening on 10/10/2012, Down GAA are launching an new Winter Strength and Conditioning Programme, which will commence Tuesday 16th October 2012.

This programme will initially be open to members of the 2012 u14 Hurling Development Squad and the 2012 u15 Football Developmen
t Squad. The names of the players and the venue they are to attend has been circulated all club secretaries this morning.

Strength and Conditioning has become hugely important within all sporting codes, none more so than in Gaelic Games.

It is our hope that this programme will further develop our elite young players, making them faster, fitter, stronger and more committed for the benefit of both Club and County

The main aims of the programme are as follows:
To educate young players on how to lift weights and condition their bodies for Gaelic Games.

To educate the players in the correct techniques for GAA relevant weight training.

To create a sense of togetherness. Hurlers and Footballers will be working side by side together for the benefit of DOWN GAA.

To find "LEADERS". There will be tasks set over the weeks & indeed there will be one or two Saturday sessions where we will be looking to find those leadership qualities that all successful teams need.

Commitment. Not only will the players be expected to attend once a week but in time they will also have a unique programme that they will be expected to do on their own at home.

Down GAA has acquired the services of Strength and Conditioning Coach Brendan Murphy to oversee the programme. Brendan will be present at all sessions ensuring that the working environment remains productive and safe at all times.

The programme is as follows:

East Down GAA Development Squad S&C Programme (9 Week Programme)
St Patrick's GS Downpatrick (TUESDAY) 7-9PM

30mins Muscle Development (Weights Rooms)

Dates:
16th Oct 2012
23rd Oct 2012
30th Oct 2012
6th Nov 2012
13th Nov 2012
20th Nov 2012
27th Nov 2012
4th Dec 2012
11th Dec 2012

South Down GAA Development Squad S&C Programme (9 Week Programme)
Abbey GS Newry (WEDNESDAY) 7-9PM

30mins Muscle Development (Weights Room)

Dates:
17th Oct 2012
24th Oct 2012
1st Nov 2012
7th Nov 2012
14th Nov 2012
21st Nov 2012
28th Nov 2012
5th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012

2/3 Additional Saturday Morning sessions will also be incorporated into this 9 week schedule, however these will be held at external venues (TBC).

The sessions will commence at 7pm sharp and will conclude no later than 9pm.

Players have been based regionally to minimize the length of time wasted travelling.

If any player or parent has any concerns or queries about this programme etc, please contact Conor O'Toole directly at the number / email address below.

This exciting new venture needs the full support of our clubs, parents and players. Down GAA will do all we can to maximize the benefits for all involved, our players must do the rest.

Conor O'Toole
Down GAA Games Development Manager
developmentmanager.down@gaa.ie

I would doubt very much that they will have the young lads lifting heavy weights and encouraging them to bulk up.  Rather educating them on the basics/techniques of lifting and some sort of introduction to appropriate and safe strength and conditioning is probably more llikely. 

knockitdown

Quote from: ardtole on October 17, 2012, 09:05:40 AM
they are not incorrect. its the end of the matter for me on here anyway. what goes around comes around and from what i am hearing drumgath are in plenty of trouble after what went on in their last game.

As your obviously in the know could you please inform us all on which club received more suspensions?

ardtole

Square Ball

havnt been on much lately so belated congrats to our Dundrum posters on winning the JFC last week
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DownFanatic

Excellent result today for the An Dún hurlers who beat Cross and Passion to make the Mageean Cup Final. Some achievement.

The Red High hurlers have also made the Casement Cup Final.

dundrumite

Am really looking forward to this game on Sunday. I have a feeling it will be very, very tight and low scoring but tactically will be fascinating. I think the two teams are very well matched and certainly two of the top three teams in Down. I went for the Bridge in the predictions as I feel Benny gives them a slight edge. However, I have been known in the past to get these things very wrong, I really look forward to it and may the best team win and keep the celebrations to a coupe of days with Ballybay awaiting  ;D

Also well done to the hurlers on a huge result over Cross and Passion. Six points down with five minutes to go and ended up winning by 6.

5 Sams

Does anybody in the know know if there'll be stand tickets available at the gate on Sunday??/ (I know...I know..I'm a lazy bsatrd :()

Can't see past the point and the bridge.
The Aristocrat Years

Lecale2

Quote from: DownFanatic on October 19, 2012, 04:25:03 PM
Excellent result today for the An Dún hurlers who beat Cross and Passion to make the Mageean Cup Final. Some achievement.

The Red High hurlers have also made the Casement Cup Final.

Well done indeed!

Ballybredagh

As an ex Cross and Passion pupil and hurler I had mixed feelings about the An Dun win, but it's good for Down hurling and it would be great if they could go on and beat St Mary's in the final. That would be some achievement on top of the Down minors winning the Ulster championship. It's just a pity that Lorcan McMullan and Chris Egan weren't able to play on this team. With them on board I'd bet my house on an An Dun victory