Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

I'm thinking of letting my name go forward BridgeGael.  What do you reckon?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

bridgegael

mallon i think that would be a great idea.  although ya be a hard man to get to take training of a sunday morning. 
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

6th sam

Quote from: bridgegael on November 30, 2006, 11:01:31 AM
mallon i think that would be a great idea.  although ya be a hard man to get to take training of a sunday morning. 

You could always ask "the gael" to take the Sunday morning training!

redsky

amallon any word of bridge AGM haven't been about club for few years but wouldn't mind getting involved again. McManus at rugby, didn't he also manage a soccer team at one time. Where did D Bell or P Carroll go to.

amallon

RedSky - No word of an AGM yet but keep checking on this thread and I'll post the details of when its coming up when I get them. 

Sunday morning training!  Are you wise, Sunday afternoon 3rdds matches were too much of a struggle last year. 

downredblack

Molloy marks ten years at the top in fine style

By John Campbell

30 November 2006
It's precisely ten years since Alan Molloy made his senior football debut for Down.

It was in a National League tie against Westmeath that the Loughinisland clubman took his baptism in the famous red and black jersey.

Since then he has been a fxture in the side - injury permitting, that is.

And his splendid contribution to the Mourne county cause through good and bad times will be highlighted tonight when he is honoured at a presentation function in the Canal Court Hotel, Newry.

Molloy has played in a variety of positions for Down and has latterly been helping to underpin the problem midfield area.

His versatility, dedication and integrity are qualities that have served Down well and have helped to maintain Molloy's profile as one of the most consistent players in the province.

Down PRO Diarmuid Cahill says: "Alan has been a wonderful servant and while he will obviously continue to play for club and county, the Supporters Club feel it is appropriate that he should be honouerd at this juncture."

Molloy's value to Down has, if anything, been more pronounced of late given that the team has been undergoing a transition.

The Down Supporters Club, an organisation which has raised huge sums of cash to underpin and nurture the GAA in the county, is planning to step up their efforts in this connection next year.

"We are delighted to be honouring Alan Molloy tonight but there is much work to be done on several fronts. There is renewed optimism in Down just now given recent successes at various levels, notably the winning of the All Ireland Minor title last year and the capture of the MacRory and Hogan Cups by the Abbey CBS side this year," explains a Supporters Club official.

Alan Molloy will step onto a centre stage role tonight - and all Down followers hope he will continue to do this on the field of play next year.

Also receiving honours tonight will be the management teams from the Down Under 16 camogie and ladies football sides who took their respective outfits to All Ireland glory earlier in the summer.

These successes underline the progress which is being made in Down and will prove the springboard for a strong drive for more glory at a higher level in the year that lies ahead.

amallon

Fair play to Molloy he showed a lot of heart and all his appearances in the red and black.

For this year whats the thinking on the NFL, here are Downs fixtures:

04.02.2007 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
An Lú v An Dún
11.02.2007 (Sun)  @ 1.30pm
An Dún v Cill Dara
25.02.2007 (Sun)  @ 2.30pm
An Iarmhí v An Dún
11.03.2007 (Sun)  @ 2.30pm
An Dún v Laois
25.03.2007 (Sun)  @ 3.30pm
Ard Mhacha v An Dún
01.04.2007 @ 3.30pm
An Dún v Doire
08.04.2007 @ 3.30pm
Gaillimh v An Dún

We have a hard run in, we would need to pick up all the points against Louth, Kildare and West Meath.  A weekend in Galway to finish the league is an appealing away fixture if a few lads where to get a bus organised.

downredblack

Where is Westmeaths ground ? What sort of a trip is it ?

thewobbler

Mullingar. About 2 hrs from Newry. Maybe less with a good run.

downredblack

Cheers , are we welcome down there after we James ?

amallon

Slightly less than 2 hours should do it.  Its a nightmare of a road though.  Wee James should be well forgot about now, whats his name still with West Meath still there?  Larkin wasn't it?

redsky

Any word on senior squad yet. Spoke to couple of lads today who played at all trials but as yet have received no notification from senior management or county board; if provisional squad has been picked then surely these lads should be notified......if fellas give up their time the very least they deserve is some respect, doesnt sound like good man management to me anyway.

Brick Tamlin

fellas give up time for the CHANCE to be part of a Down Senior football panel. They choose to give up of their time freely, the county management owe nobody anything. imho i believe that this is quite indicitive of an attitude that is so prevolent in Down football circles today.if you ask me nobody should consider themselves a county panelist (whether a member previously or not) until they are asked officially.

thewobbler

Brick, I don't get that attitude at all. If players have attended trials, they should be the first to know whether they made it or not. Especially fellas that were asked to come back for second or third trials. Either that or a press release should be sent out before anyone is notified. Nobody should find out they have been dropped through rumours on the grapevine.

Re Mullingar, I went down there for the under-21 final last year and was impressed with the place. It's the perfect size for a county ground, with an ample stand, and the spectators are right on top of the pitch. 

Brick Tamlin

who has found out then through rumours on the grapevine.I wasnt sayin that the management have no obligation to tell anyone, i think i came across wrong there.
anyway id say it will be a fairly open-ended panel most of the year with a maybe an experimental mckenna cup panel without a few regular faces to start off with. id have high hopes of seeing a few new faces this year that would make some sort of impact or contribution to the cause.