Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebar

Quote from: lucan on July 29, 2012, 12:51:37 PM
on reflection charlie tully i have chilled. incidentally the only coverage of the game was radio ulster [1341 medium wave]

Wrong it was covered by Destination Newry....Well done Down on beating Tipp records show it aint easy to win after coming of the back of defeat in 6 days. Fair play to all

DownFanatic

Down JFC Results

Group A

Drumaness 5-10   Teconnaught 0-08
St Michael's 1-09  Dromara 2-10

Group B
St Paul's 0-03  Dundrum 1-18
Ballykinlar v Bright - Not Played

Group C
Killyleagh 1-07  Aghaderg 1-13
Mitchels 1-08  Aughlisnafin 2-10

Drumaness living up to their favourites tag with a total drubbing of Teconnaught. The Fin beating Mitchels has to be the shock of the round. Killyleagh also put up a good showing against Aghaderg in their return to competitive football.

Square Ball

Quote from: DownFanatic on July 29, 2012, 03:44:07 PM
Down JFC Results

Group A

Drumaness 5-10   Teconnaught 0-08
St Michael's 1-09  Dromara 2-10

Group B
St Paul's 0-03  Dundrum 1-18
Ballykinlar v Bright - Not Played

Group C
Killyleagh 1-07  Aghaderg 1-13
Mitchels 1-08  Aughlisnafin 2-10

Drumaness living up to their favourites tag with a total drubbing of Teconnaught. The Fin beating Mitchels has to be the shock of the round. Killyleagh also put up a good showing against Aghaderg in their return to competitive football.

Oops
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Naomh Pol CLG

We got a lesson in the first half from Dundrum, who are a fit team who play to a well oiled system. We were poor enough and made them look a bit better.  Second half we battled well and played with some pride... We have miles to go to even consider winning a championship :'(

here comes 6

has anyone the dates and times for the senior and intermediate Championship?

MK

Great to see Newry hosting 2 minor Q-Finals:

Dublin v Monaghan, Newry 5.30pm

Tyrone v Meath, Newry, 7.15pm

NP 76

I see the game is on Saturday at 5 with Dublin v Laois at 7. Cork v Kildare at 2 on the Sunday and kerry v Donegal at 4

5 Sams

Quote from: NP 76 on July 29, 2012, 07:48:21 PM
I see the game is on Saturday at 5 with Dublin v Laois at 7. Cork v Kildare at 2 on the Sunday and kerry v Donegal at 4

Why's our game so late?? There'll be some crew of drunken Dubs arriving in at 10 past 7 ;)
The Aristocrat Years

lucan

to the[bar]. its a pity you couldn;t have furnished that information when asked . thats one of the functions of a discussion board.clowns are for the circus.

Fox in the Box

Was in Mullingar on Sat great win and alot of good performances. Is it just me but i feel anything good Down do Poland and Lavery are involved? Surely if we get too an All Ireland semi these two will be considered for All Stars?? Bring on Mayo and a semi final spot.

T O Hare

Will the senior championship go ahead if down win on saturday
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

whitegoodman

With what happened to Ambrose a couple of years ago I cant see James letting it happen.

Lets get the win first and then think bout that!!!

Mourne Rover

Working out our strongest team this season has been a problem for both management and supporters,  but, apart from some positional switching, it should be possible to make a reasonable guess at the actual starting 15 for Croke Park.

McVeigh will be in goals, with big Dan in front on him and O'Hagan almost certainly in one corner. Garvey is likely to be named in the other corner with McArdle at centre half, although they may change round, and the main debate is over the wing half backs. Doyle, if fit, and McKernan, if focused, are the two best equipped for the job.

With Ambrose and King at midfield and Poland at centre forward more or less automatic choices, and Hughes likely to be out, Maginn looks a good bet for a wing forward slot. It could be tight enough  between Duffin and Carr on the other wing, but Carr's experience may get him the nod.

Benny and Laverty will be named in the full forward line, but Eoin McCartan, while decent in the second half at Clones, did not really make an impact in Mullingar, so O'Hare is very much in contention to take over.

Mayo's form over the last couple of seasons has been pretty similar to our own, so there is a fair chance that we could be in for a tight finish on Saturday.

alba2

Any suggestions for the team on sat?  A fully fit panel at this time of the year is fantastic news - it leaves serious options for all positions.  As Mourne rover predicts there are a number of viable options for each position and each a class player. Certs have to be Mc Veigh, O'Hagan, Big Dan, Mc Ardle, Ambrose, Kallum, Poland, Laverty, Coulter, Garvey, Maginn, Brannigan - that only leaves 3 positions up for grabs... 1 in defence between, Dan Mc Cartan, Gerard Mc Cartan, Mc Parland, Mc Kernan - and two up front between Eoin Mc Cartan, Donal O'Hare, Duffin, Carr, Mc Conville...

whitegoodman

I would say most of us would agree the following are certs for saturday at this stage

1 McVeigh
2 OHagan
3 Gordon
4 McArdle/Garvey
6 Garvey/Garvey
8 King
9 Rodgers
11 Poland
13 Coulter
14 Laverty

That leaves 5 spaces up for grabs.  We have tried numerous options in the half back line with none of them working that well.  McParland looked a bit undercooked on saturday, my feelings on Mckernan as a defender are well known, Carr was poor defensively on saturday as well and Rooney seems to be out of the picture.  For me Doyle should start but it should at 15 coming out the field rather that centre or wing half back.  At this stage I dont feel he would have the mobility to track a Danny Hughes or a Mark Poland.  In fact Doyle and McKernan as the two wing backs would scare the byjesus out of me without meaning any disrespect to your opinion MR.  I would love to see a Rooney, Turley, Garvey half back line, solid, unspectacular, but do their defensive duties first and foremost.  But this will never happen and it likely to be McKernan and Branningan that get the slots imo.

The half forward line is also tricky especially without Danny available.  Alot of people seem to rate Maginn including James but i dont think he brings enough to the table.  In Dannys absence id like to see Carr and McKernan as the wing forwards but James is likely to plumb for Maginn and Carr at this stage.

Doyle at 15 is what he went with against Donegal and i think it worked to an extent and is worth another go on saturday.